when was the last 30 point performance by a gopher?

dboy

Banned
Reaction score
i went back four years.. no one on the current roster has.. blake never.. westbrook went for 29 twice.. i'll state the obvious: we need a scorer..

i went back four years.. no one on the current roster has.. blake never.. westbrook went for 29 twice.. i'll state the obvious: we need a scorer..
If Dre played 35 minutes a game, and Tubby told him to just play his game, Dre could probably drop 30.

Vincent Grier had 32 in our win against Sconnie in 2005. One of the best Gopher performances I've witnessed.

Gotta be Grier?

EDIT: 34Gopher beat me to it.

I was going to guess Westbrook scored 30 possibly in the home game against Wisconsin a couple years ago, but that was obviously wrong. 30 points is a high bar to set when the Gophers play so manly low scoring conference games. That said, we haven't had a guy who could get his own shot consistently since Vince Grier. Westbrook could do it against certain teams/defenses, but his lack of height or exceptional quickness/leaping ability prevented him from being the type of guy who could always get his shot.

I think both Hollins kids and Joe Coleman have the potential to be kids who can get their own shot against anyone. Whether any of the 3 will shoot well enough to be that go to offensive player is another question, though I agree that 'Dre is the most likely option on the roster. If Chip could develop a right hand, he would be another guy who could at least get a decent look against any defense.

30 is a ton of points in the college game. The only guy I see with that type of ceiling is Dre Hollins. That said, we don't want 30 a game from anyone. We want 10+ from Coleman every night, 10+ from Dre Hollins every night, 10+ from EE every night, 10+ from Austin every night, 10+ from Chip every night & 10+ from Mo every night. That's how you win. That & you have a go-to guy when you absolutely NEED a basket...that's Dre Hollins imo, he is the future of this team.

30 is a ton of points in the college game. The only guy I see with that type of ceiling is Dre Hollins. That said, we don't want 30 a game from anyone. We want 10+ from Coleman every night, 10+ from Dre Hollins every night, 10+ from EE every night, 10+ from Austin every night, 10+ from Chip every night & 10+ from Mo every night. That's how you win. That & you have a go-to guy when you absolutely NEED a basket...that's Dre Hollins imo, he is the future of this team.

I think expecting 6 guys to average 10 plus a game is extremely difficult.

I think expecting 6 guys to average 10 plus a game is extremely difficult.

That's fair. I think any of them will be able to go for 20 on a given night, all average close to 10 though & that means we have multiple options, which makes us dangerous. I don't really think we need a guy to score 30, but we do need a guy who, when the game's on the line can get you a crucial basket. Willie B could do it. Bobby J could do it. I think Dre Hollins will be that guy on this team moving forward.

Just like I said on the post-game thoughts thread...

Jordan Taylor has only 1 time scored over 30 points.
Trevon Hughes and Jon Leuer NEVER scored 30 points.

These 3 have been the best players on the Badgers the past few years, so it is very likely that the Badgers have only had one player score over 30 the past 4 years.

I coulda sworn Westbrook had 30 against the Badgers in Wisconsin 2 or 3 years ago.

Having a 30 pt scorer is not the problem. The problem is we have too many young guards who are prone to being wildly inconsistent. When we get good performances from a few guys a game, we typically score decently well. But as far as having anyone you can count on, yes, that is a big problem. I think that is something that is just going to develop over the next couple years.

If we can keep a few guards on the roster consistently for more than a year or two that'd help a lot. There's a reason Westbrook and Hoff have been our best guards under Tubby so far.

There's a reason Westbrook and Hoff have been our best guards under Tubby so far.

Westbrook & Hoff? Al Nolen & it's not even close. Still proves the same point you were making though about sticking around all 4 years.

Westbrook & Hoff? Al Nolen & it's not even close. Still proves the same point you were making though about sticking around all 4 years.

Totally blanked on Nolen (even mentioned him in post in another thread), meant to include him in the list. But yes, my point stands.

Kris Humphries did it. How'd that turn out for us?

about the same as this year.. but at least we had something to boast about that year...and its still paying dividends on reality TV..

Just like I said on the post-game thoughts thread...

Jordan Taylor has only 1 time scored over 30 points.
Trevon Hughes and Jon Leuer NEVER scored 30 points.

These 3 have been the best players on the Badgers the past few years, so it is very likely that the Badgers have only had one player score over 30 the past 4 years.

with the badgers in a 4-corners all game, and averaging 50 a game as a team, its a given no one is over 30.
but i'm talking gophers.. not sure how the badgers entered this thread.

tubby wants up-tempo

about the same as this year.. but at least we had something to boast about that year...and its still paying dividends on reality TV..

If memory serves me correctly, that team won 3 games in the Big Ten and were never even a threat to make the big dance. This team still has a chance even after all the disappointment so far.

If memory serves me correctly, that team won 3 games in the Big Ten and were never even a threat to make the big dance. This team still has a chance even after all the disappointment so far.

perhaps... but Kris H alone generated more buzz that year than the entire team does this year... first team all big10, first freshman to lead big10 in scoring/rebounding, spurned duke AND arizona, will he go pro??

plus, i knew one thing that year.. if the ball went to Kris, it never came back. this year i know nothing.

dboy said:
perhaps... but Kris H alone generated more buzz that year than the entire team does this year... first team all big10, first freshman to lead big10 in scoring/rebounding, spurned duke AND arizona, will he go pro??

plus, i knew one thing that year.. if the ball went to Kris, it never came back. this year i know nothing.

So you'd rather suck and know we suck than have any uncertainty? Huh?

Humphries being able to score 30 on any given night wasn't the problem. The problem was we had no one else.

Don't even tell me that having Jimmer last year wouldn't have been beneficial to this team.

Lindsay W? She was the best B-ball player the last ten years.

Voshon Lenard must have had a bunch of 30+ games, unless they were all wiped out by cheating?

LongLiveMilesTarver said:
Humphries being able to score 30 on any given night wasn't the problem. The problem was we had no one else.

Don't even tell me that having Jimmer last year wouldn't have been beneficial to this team.
Humphries had no one else? How would we ever know? He was one of the biggest ball hogs that the Gophers have ever had. Of course he had 30 pt. games when he took all the shots. I remember hearing he got along with very few on the team because of how selfish he was.

Humphries had no one else? How would we ever know? He was one of the biggest ball hogs that the Gophers have ever had. Of course he had 30 pt. games when he took all the shots. I remember hearing he got along with very few on the team because of how selfish he was.

Aside from Ben Johnson everyone else on that team shot about 37%. I'm not sure I'd want anyone else taking shots.

Top Bottom