So much for that!

gopherinpain

Banned
Reaction score
At least two NIT home games will generate revenue. Other than Wisconsin, good luck to the other B10 teams in the dance.

Don't watch for the rest of the season and spare us your constant whining

Maybe you are thrilled with O NCAA wins in 5 years under Tubby. Some of us had higher expectations that is all.

No but I do not start two separate threads that whine about the game and how bad we are. If you don't like it stop watching until they improve to match your expectations. I expected prblems with the young team we have and am still hoping for the best. I do not give up as easily as you appear to.

The "young team" thing is getting old. How many good players are around the college game for their senior year? Certainly not many difference makers (Jordan Taylor is obviously an exception). The Gophers start two players who are 4 years out of high school in Welch and Sampson and another player who is 3 years out of high school in Williams. Oto and Maverick are also 1-2 years older than their class suggests (due to prep school, redshirting, etc). Waiting around until kids are Juniors/Seniors is not likely to produce significantly better results. What will help is having players we hope will stick around for their Junior or Senior seasons.

EG#9 said:
The "young team" thing is getting old. How many good players are around the college game for their senior year? Certainly not many difference makers (Jordan Taylor is obviously an exception). The Gophers start two players who are 4 years out of high school in Welch and Sampson and another player who is 3 years out of high school in Williams. Oto and Maverick are also 1-2 years older than their class suggests (due to prep school, redshirting, etc). Waiting around until kids are Juniors/Seniors is not likely to produce significantly better results. What will help is having players we hope will stick around for their Junior or Senior seasons.

Draymond green, Jon shurna, Taylor battle, William Buford, David lighty, Trevor mbakwe, Jordan Taylor, Jon leuer, Robbie Hummel, etwaun Moore, kalin Lucas, juwaun Johnson ...

Should I continue?

(sorry in advance about the numerous spelling mistakes, being lazy)

gophers drop to a tie for 10th place in the standings. A certain loss on Tuesday is not going to help that.

gopherinpain said:
gophers drop to a tie for 10th place in the standings. A certain loss on Tuesday is not going to help that.

Agreed. I don't like the chance against OSU, but crazier things have happened.

I see 3 more wins on the schedule, gotta steal MSU or OSU at home or at Wisconsin to get that 4th win.

So what exactly do you guys think it will take to make the NCAA tournament?

I don't really understand how the selection criteria works.

I see 3 more wins on the schedule, gotta steal MSU or OSU at home or at Wisconsin to get that 4th win.

Northwestern and Indiana are both playing very well right now. I counted them as wins to get to 9 too. Nebraska at home is the only sure bet I guess for a W right now.

So what exactly do you guys think it will take to make the NCAA tournament?

I don't really understand how the selection criteria works.
Most see 9-9 in the B1G getting us in the tourney.

Who cares about the NCAA tourney this year other than people who intention is to try to get Tubby fired when we lose to a #2 seed in the 1st round? I actually want the team to do well, regardless of the coach so I'd prefer an NIT birth where the young kids will get a few extra games together. It's all about developing next years team, has been since Trevor went down.

Who cares about the NCAA tourney this year other than people who intention is to try to get Tubby fired when we lose to a #2 seed in the 1st round? I actually want the team to do well, regardless of the coach so I'd prefer an NIT birth where the young kids will get a few extra games together. It's all about developing next years team, has been since Trevor went down.

+1

It's all about developing next years team, has been since Trevor went down.

Sadly, with Tubby as the coach they will not get much better. He has mailed it in for a while now. Let his contract burn out and then get a young, successful HC with a passion for recruiting and player development.

I would definitely like to go to the NCAA tournament. I think it is the best event in all of sports.

I want to see the Gophers on the brackets when I am filling out my picks, and I want to pull for them to shock a couple of teams and sneak into the Sweet Sixteen.

I love Tubby and definitely don't want him fired. How would going to the NCAA tournament mean he is more likely to get fired than going to the NIT?

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but I don't really understand that.

the vast majority of this board cares and these people you say have intentions of getting Tubby fired how are they to accomplish that? I didn't realize psoters on a message board had that much power to get a coach fired. I guess the new AD will take the intentions of these people under consideration.

Sadly, with Tubby as the coach they will not get much better. He has mailed it in for a while now. Let his contract burn out and then get a young, successful HC with a passion for recruiting and player development.
This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. If it was so obvious that Tubby is mailing it in do you really think that in 2 years we will be able to hire a young successful coach without grossly overpaying?

I wanted to see some improvement, if they end up 7-11 which I feel is most likely it is marginal at best. I would have hoped they would have been squarely on the bubble at this point and the final 6 games would have major significance.

I hope they don't drop out of the NIT again.

Dang, I always try to stay away from this place right after a loss so I don't have to read stupid posts like this all the time.

More like the norm. Last season, here is who was 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team All-Big Ten:

FIRST TEAM
Jared Sullinger, Ohio State - probably gone before senior season
Talor Battle, Penn State - played senior season
JAJUAN JOHNSON, Purdue - played senior season
E’Twaun Moore, Purdue - played senior season
JORDAN TAYLOR, Wisconsin - playing senior season

SECOND TEAM
Kalin Lucas, Michigan State - played senior season
Trevor Mbakwe, Minnesota - played senior season
William Buford, Ohio State - playing senior season
David Lighty, Ohio State - played senior season
Jon Leuer, Wisconsin - played senior season

THIRD TEAM
Demetri McCamey, Illinois - played senior season
Darius Morris, Michigan - left early
Draymond Green, Michigan State - playing senior season
Michael Thompson, Northwestern - played senior season
Jon Diebler, Ohio State - played senior season

9 were seniors
4 were juniors who are now playing as seniors
2 were underclassmen who left or probably will leave early

This list doesn't even include guys like Shurna and Hummel.

You're right though, "difference makers" hardly ever stick around for their senior season.

Dang, I always try to stay away from this place right after a loss so I don't have to read stupid posts like this all the time.

More like the norm. Last season, here is who was 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team All-Big Ten:

FIRST TEAM
Jared Sullinger, Ohio State - probably gone before senior season
Talor Battle, Penn State - played senior season
JAJUAN JOHNSON, Purdue - played senior season
E’Twaun Moore, Purdue - played senior season
JORDAN TAYLOR, Wisconsin - playing senior season

SECOND TEAM
Kalin Lucas, Michigan State - played senior season
Trevor Mbakwe, Minnesota - played senior season
William Buford, Ohio State - playing senior season
David Lighty, Ohio State - played senior season
Jon Leuer, Wisconsin - played senior season

THIRD TEAM
Demetri McCamey, Illinois - played senior season
Darius Morris, Michigan - left early
Draymond Green, Michigan State - playing senior season
Michael Thompson, Northwestern - played senior season
Jon Diebler, Ohio State - played senior season

9 were seniors
4 were juniors who are now playing as seniors
2 were underclassmen who left or probably will leave early

This list doesn't even include guys like Shurna and Hummel.

You're right though, "difference makers" hardly ever stick around for their senior season.[/QUOTE

+1

I disagree wholeheartedly with that line of thinking. Here's why:

1) Even if we get in and lose in the first round of the NCAA, I'd love to get these young guys one game in the NCAA to get some experience. They learn what its about for the future.

2) Let's say we do get into the NCAA as something like a #12 seed. That means we play a #5 seed. Who's to say we can't win that? A #5 seed will be no better than the Indiana team we have beaten, no better than the Wisconsin team we nearly beat last night, etc. Would we be underdogs? Of course, but certainly there's at least a chance to advance.

3) If you somehow advance, who's to say the better team on the other side doesn't lose? Then, you play a #13 seed in the 2nd round. Even if not, you have a #4 seed. Who knows???

4) There are no guarantees in the NIT. You could easily get a first round matchup against Oklahoma State or Northern Iowa or Maryland (again) and be out after the first night anyway.

Draymond green, Jon shurna, Taylor battle, William Buford, David lighty, Trevor mbakwe, Jordan Taylor, Jon leuer, Robbie Hummel, etwaun Moore, kalin Lucas, juwaun Johnson ...

Should I continue?

(sorry in advance about the numerous spelling mistakes, being lazy)

Donna, is that you?

I disagree wholeheartedly with that line of thinking. Here's why:

1) Even if we get in and lose in the first round of the NCAA, I'd love to get these young guys one game in the NCAA to get some experience. They learn what its about for the future.

2) Let's say we do get into the NCAA as something like a #12 seed. That means we play a #5 seed. Who's to say we can't win that? A #5 seed will be no better than the Indiana team we have beaten, no better than the Wisconsin team we nearly beat last night, etc. Would we be underdogs? Of course, but certainly there's at least a chance to advance.

3) If you somehow advance, who's to say the better team on the other side doesn't lose? Then, you play a #13 seed in the 2nd round. Even if not, you have a #4 seed. Who knows???

4) There are no guarantees in the NIT. You could easily get a first round matchup against Oklahoma State or Northern Iowa or Maryland (again) and be out after the first night anyway.

+1

Also, this is a team that is good enough to be in a tournament. If we would have taken care of business against Iowa and held on to a game where we had possession, the shot clock off, and a two point lead against Illinois, then we would be a home win against Nebraska away from that ninth win that everyone thinks would get us to the promised land. This would be with opportunities to grab more wins for better seeding in winnable games at Northwestern and hosting Indiana.

At least two NIT home games will generate revenue. Other than Wisconsin, good luck to the other B10 teams in the dance.

And you think the Gophs will get a HOME game because........... and you think they
would win A home game because.........

+1

Also, this is a team that is good enough to be in a tournament. If we would have taken care of business against Iowa and held on to a game where we had possession, the shot clock off, and a two point lead against Illinois, then we would be a home win against Nebraska away from that ninth win that everyone thinks would get us to the promised land. This would be with opportunities to grab more wins for better seeding in winnable games at Northwestern and hosting Indiana.

THIS is a team good enough to be in the tournament? Dude this team isn't good enough to be on the bubble. And it won't be after the 3-4 more losses coming up soon.

THIS is a team good enough to be in the tournament? Dude this team isn't good enough to be on the bubble. And it won't be after the 3-4 more losses coming up soon.

Of course it is. I just mentioned three games which were winnable and would have put us in a position where we would need two wins in our last six to get to 10-8.

Top Bottom