Lunardi (Bracketology)

I agree. A win would do A LOT for our tourney chances, plus it would give us a little bit of confidence for when we have to make the trip to Madison.

Yep, agreed with everything above. If we want to get to nine conference wins, tonight is a must. As I've posted in another thread, winning three out of the next six to get to nine is a lot better than having to win four out of the next six, when three of those six games are @ UW, vs OSU and vs MSU.

So what if we lose tonight, but then beat OSU on Tuesday? lol

Lunardi's bracket has been updated today and has the Gophers playing Texas in the first 4 with the winner playing San Diego St. in Portland.

Lunardi's bracket has been updated today and has the Gophers playing Texas in the first 4 with the winner playing San Diego St. in Portland.

What a waffler.

On a side note, I played Texas in the Maui Invitational last night in NCAA Basketball 10 and beat them by 30. That bodes well for the Gophers, right?

What a waffler.

On a side note, I played Texas in the Maui Invitational last night in NCAA Basketball 10 and beat them by 30. That bodes well for the Gophers, right?

What waffling? It's the bubble, that MEANS you're one good or bad half away from moving in or out.

What a waffler.

His brackets are a reflection of what the field would look like if the tourney started immediately. It is not a prediction in the longterm sense and it is certainly not provable one way or another. He isn't waffling, he isn't predicting what the field will look like come March...he's looking at the teams and how they've done to date and projecting the field as if Selection Sunday were that day.

Badger2010 said:
His brackets are a reflection of what the field would look like if the tourney started immediately. It is not a prediction in the longterm sense and it is certainly not provable one way or another. He isn't waffling, he isn't predicting what the field will look like come March...he's looking at the teams and how they've done to date and projecting the field as if Selection Sunday were that day.

He said before the game if the Gophers lost to Wisconsin they were out of the tournament, now he still has them in. That's the reasoning for the "waffling" comment.

He said before the game if the Gophers lost to Wisconsin they were out of the tournament, now he still has them in. That's the reasoning for the "waffling" comment.

Comprehension is not his strong point.

Thank you. I was half-joking anyways. I use the word every chance I get as a nod to Brett Favre.

I understand. My point is that the discrepancy between prediction earlier in the weak and his latest bracket is not "waffling." He predicted that if MN lost UW, they'd be out in next bracket projection. However, other teams he thought would win lost as well, so the Gophers are still in because their resume is superior to those projected below them. Is he supposed to leave the Gophers out of the field in his projection just to justify his prior prediction? His prediction was wrong, that's it.

I understand what the comment was in reference to. It's hard to interpret tone via a message board, and I thought he might have misunderstood what bracketology is all about. It is not a prediction of what the field will look like come March, it's a projection of what the field would like if the tournament started immediately.

No. But he shouldn't make proclamations like this team is out if they lose.

That's his job. He runs a "win and in" and "lose and out" segment several times a week. People ask him to project the field...that's what he does.

Lunardi's Last Four In:
Minnesota
Seton Hall
NC State
Texas
First Four Out:
Miami
Washington
Wyoming
Northwestern

Seton Hall (6-7 Big East) remaining schedule:
St. John's (4-8)
@ Cincinnati (7-4)
#11 Georgetown (8-4)
Rutgers (4-8)
@ Depaul (2-10)
You have to think Seton Hall finishes out 3-2 to finish 9-9 in the Big East and thus move past us.

NC State (7-3 ACC)
@ #9 Duke (7-2)
#17 Florida State (8-2)
#5 North Carolina (8-2)
@ Clemson (3-6)
Miami (6-4)
@ Virginia Tech (2-7)
NC State probably finishes 3-3 to become 10-6 on the year. That would be better than us if we finish 8-10.

Texas (6-6 Big 12)
@ Oklahoma (3-8)
@ Oklahoma State (5-6)
#6 Baylor (8-4)
@ Texas Tech (0-11)
Oklahoma (3-8)
@ #10 Kansas (8-2)
So, if Texas finishes 3-3 from here on out they finish 9-9. If we finish 8-10 we have a better resume than them at 9-9. Texas played very poorly during the non-conference schedule losing to Oregon State, NC State, and North Carolina.

Miami (6-4 ACC)
#5 North Carolina (8-2)
Wake Forest (2-8)
@ Maryland (4-5)
#17 Florida State (8-2)
@ North Carolina State (7-3)
Boston College (3-7)
Miami probably finishes 3-3 or 2-4. At 3-3 they would become 9-7 and have the nod over us.
Although, Miami played poorly during non-conference play. They played four BCS schools and lost three. Beat Rutgers; lost to Ole Miss, Purdue, and West Virginia. They also lost to Memphis.

Wyoming (4-4 MWC)
Pending @ New Mexico (5-2) - UPDATE: Lost 48-38. Big loss - probably in Lunardi's first four or next four out in the next edition of Bracketology
Air Force (1-6)
@ Colorado State (4-3)
@ #14 San Diego State (6-1)
Boise State (0-7)
TCU (3-4)
@ #16 UNLV (5-2)
I'm thinking Wyoming finishes out 3-3 or which puts them at 7-7 and behind us in Bracketology.
Washington (10-3 Pac 12)
Arizona State (4-9)
Arizona (9-4)
@ Washington State (5-8)
@ USC (1-11)
@ UCLA (7-6)
Washington can really only lose one more if they want to get in. I could see them losing zero to two games in their remaining schedule. They're 10-3 conference record looks good, but they had bad losses to South Dakota State, Saint Louis, and Nevada in non-conference play.

Northwestern (5-7 Big Ten)
@ #23 Indiana (7-6)
Minnesota (5-7)
#25 Michigan (8-4)
@ Penn State (3-10)
#3 Ohio State (9-2)
@ Iowa (5-7)
Purdue now has the same conference record as us. Similar to us, they also have no key wins or bad losses on their non-conference schedule. Both Minnesota and Northwestern have a tough non-conference ahead, and it will be hard for both to make the big dance. Our game on the 18th is obviously big for both sides.

New Lunardi Bracketology!

Last Four In:
Minnesota
Cincinnati
North Carolina State
Miami

Last Four Out:
Xavier
Washington
Belmont
Northwestern

Next Four Out:
Wyoming
Colorado State
UCF
Oregon

Cincinnati 17-8 (7-5 Big East) RPI: 92
Remaining Schedule:
Providence (2-11)
Seton Hall (6-7)
#18 Louisville (8-4)
@ USF (8-4)
#13 Marquette (10-3)
@ Villanova (4-8)
NC (Non-conference) Key Wins: None
NC Bad Losses: Presbyterian (RPI 264) and Marshall (64)

North Carolina State 18-7 (7-3 ACC) RPI:51
Remaining Schedule:
@ #4 Duke (8-2)
#7 North Carolina (8-2)
@ Clemson (4-6)
Miami (6-4)
@ Virginia Tech (3-7)
NC Key Wins: Texas (49)
NC Bad Losses: None

Miami 15-8 (6-4) ACC RPI: 35
Remaining Schedule:
#7 North Carolina (9-2)
Wake Forest (2-9)
@ Maryland (4-6)
#21 Florida State (8-2)
@ North Carolina State (7-3)
Boston College (3-8)
NC Key Wins: None
NC Bad Losses: None - but it looks bad that they lost to all four of: @ Ole Miss, @ Purdue, #20 Memphis, @ West Virginia

Lunardis update today has the Gophers as one of the first 4 out along with Northwestern, while Illinois is one of the last 4 in.

So - do you think the selection committee may just take a peak at Bracketology at times or use this as their starting point. Of course they cant come out and say that but I think they do. He does a solid job with match ups and in's and out's.

Most Recent Bracketology:

Last Four In:
- North Carolina State
- Miami
- Illinois
- Washington

First Four Out:
- Xavier
- Minnesota
- Northwestern
- UCF

Next Four Out:
- Oregon
- St. Joseph's
- Dayton
- Wyoming

~ Illinois' ship is sinking, if not already sunk.
~ Purdue, listed as a 10 seed, might be heading in a similar direction, just maybe not as rapidly.
~ I can't believe Wyoming still has a shot at the tourney. They only have one quality victory (#13 UNLV), and are 4-6 in the Mountain West.

Teams per Conference:
9 Big East
7 Big Ten
6 Big 12
6 ACC
5 SEC
3 Mountain West
3 West Coast
3 Pac-12
2 Missouri Valley
2 Conference-USA
2 Atlantic-10

^^ Maybe this isn't the new Bracketology. I clicked on Bracketology updated 55 minutes ago, thinking it would be Lunardi's new Bracketology, but now I see the date says 2/17.

What do you care? We are nothing but bottom feeder anyway? Isn't that what you said?[/QUOTE

They are a bottom feeder. Does not mean I can still care about it. I wish they had beaten NW and Iowa twice and were in, but they are not.

Lunardi's Bracketology (for real this time):

Last Four In:
Texas
Northwestern
Seton Hall
Miami

Last Four Out:
North Carolina State
Central Florida
South Florida
Oregon

Next Four Out:
Colorado State
St. Joseph's
Virginia Commonwealth
Minnesota

Guys, Jay Bilas said this is useless cause they use RPI. So none of this matters! Haha.

Top Bottom