1 and 1 FT shooting key tonight

Moses87

Banned
Reaction score
One of the most under-rated plays in all of college basketball is the 1 and 1 FT situations. Up for grabs, a maximum of 12 points by each team if they hit all their FT's.

Against the Illini, the Gophers only scored 1 point from their five 1 and 1 situations and yet somehow won the game, thanks in large part to poor 3 point shooting from the Illini.

Tonight, the Gophers will have to match Wisconsin at the FT line, specifically on those 1 and 1 situations. Despite improving from last year overall, we have a track record of shooting less than 50% on the front end of 1 and 1's this season. We were very poor vs Illinois and Iowa.

I wish Tubby would keep certain players (Chip, Rodney, Osienicks, Eliason) on the bench once we get to 6 fouls..All of those guys shoot around 50% or lower on the season and all have missed 1 and 1's of late. Tubby should try to keep Sampson, Welch, Coleman and Austin H on the court as much as possible during the 1 and 1 situation.

If the Gophers can get 6 to 8 points from our 1 and 1 situations, I'm confident we'll win the game.

No. The Gophers need to get to the line more than wisconsin. Free throw accuracy doesn't matter if you don't get there, and the Badgers don't let people shoot free throws.

No. The Gophers need to get to the line more than wisconsin. Free throw accuracy doesn't matter if you don't get there, and the Badgers don't let people shoot free throws.
Bingo! Somebody needs to penetrate the lane off the dribble drive on a regular basis tonight.

And free throw accuracy does matter if you get to the line often but can't make them. Free Throw accuracy matters-number of free throw attempts matter-everything matters.

I wonder if there is a 1 and 1 free throw percentage state out there. It would be interesting to look at. If you miss the front end of a 1 and 1, I consider that going 0 for 2 from the line in that trip, even though you only took one shot.

We have to be aggressive on offense against Wisconsin. Instead of trying to play their game, we have to counter it by running the floor and being a little more up tempo.

Brust is key tonight

The last thing I want to see tonight? Brust making his first couple 3s. Seems like there's no in between with him, he either can't miss or he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Better yet, don't even let him take 3s. It's all he can do. Make him put it on the floor.

If the Gophers allow him to get going, don't like our chances.

The last thing I want to see tonight? Brust making his first couple 3s. Seems like there's no in between with him, he either can't miss or he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Better yet, don't even let him take 3s. It's all he can do. Make him put it on the floor.

I'd put Austin on Brust. Tell Austin to stay in his jersey all night and use his length to disrupt shots.

I agree that the Gophers should over-play the three and force the Badgers to drive around them...But our FT shooting has been atrocious in 1 and 1 situations and if we can't do better than 1 for 4, we'll lose. We simply can't make up for the lost points.

I sure hope they've been spending a lot of time shooting free throws in practice this week!!! :rolleyes:

Comprehensive data is not available on 1 and 1's, but the available information out there is growing. I'd expect the average on front ends to be 69%... maybe* a tiny bit lower.

He hasn't really gotten going at all this year. Just six times has he made more than one 3 in a game. Only once has he made more than two.

Wisconsin made 3 outta 4 1 and 1's, and scored 6 points outta 8 possible. Very solid...We never had a 1 and 1...All of our fouls over the limit were in the act of shooting.

Top Bottom