Q&A with Kevin Lynch, shares a great Clem locker room story, talks 89-90 tourney runs

Kevin Lynch and Melvin Newbern - Loved that backcourt!

Good stuff.

I'd never been so sad in my life than when Kevin's shot in the corner against Tech didn't go in.

I wanted to die! (I was a kid.)

Love the comments on the article asking Amelia to fix errors...

Studwell55...I couldn't agree more...9 times out of 10 Lynch drains that shot. That team was my favorite Gopher team of all time. My junior year of high school was dominated by what those guys were doing...blew out Illinois, Iowa, Indiana...the Barn would be rocking! I'll never forget the Wisconsin game in Madison. Gophs were getting blown out and clawed their way back only to lose on a last second tip-in. I worked with a guy who was on that Badger team...crazy!

I remember that GA Tech game in great detail. We had a 12 point lead with about 3 minutes to go in the first half and then there was a huge charge call that went against us, just like the Kentucky game in 1997. Also, we missed the front end of a 1 and 1 and they cut the lead down to 5 by HT...Then they eventually took the lead with about 10 minutes left in the 2nd half and led by as much as 6 or 7 late, before Burton hit 2 long range 3's to get us within 2 at 93-91. Kenny Anderson missed the front end of a 1 and 1 with 5 seconds left and the ball was quickly passed up to Lynch at half court...he then dribbled toward the corner and let a off-balance 3 go, missing short, where Richard Coffey was waiting for the air ball...His rebound basket was about a second too late.

GA Tech was really lucky to have beaten MSU in the Friday night game. Anderson hit a long 2 in the last seconds with his foot on the line and somehow they credited him with a 3, allowing GA Tech to force OT, where they won when Steve Smith fouled out. ACC Refs again.

1989-90 season

What a season to be in the Barn that year...When that poor kid from Wisconsin missed the tying free throw with no time left, that was the loudest place I have ever been, any arena, any sport. It was earsplitting.

Top Bottom