Amelia Rayno blog: Five-for-five switch has at least one really beneficial byproduct

Compare Tubby's approach against NW vs Bruce Weber's approach against NW.

Gophers played 10 guys more than 10 minutes each. It appeared obvious that the NW 7 was out of gas as the Gophers pulled away.

Ill played 6 guys more than 10 minutes each. It appeared obvious that Ill was out of gas as the NW 6 won by 4. Why did Weber shorten his bench against a depleted team? He wanted to make the game fair?

I am getting to like the hockey substitutions. If the second group outplays the first group keep them together and bring them in sooner.

Compare Tubby's approach against NW vs Bruce Weber's approach against NW.

Gophers played 10 guys more than 10 minutes each. It appeared obvious that the NW 7 was out of gas as the Gophers pulled away.

Ill played 6 guys more than 10 minutes each. It appeared obvious that Ill was out of gas as the NW 6 won by 4. Why did Weber shorten his bench against a depleted team? He wanted to make the game fair?

I am getting to like the hockey substitutions. If the second group outplays the first group keep them together and bring them in sooner.
Correct me if I'm wrong (which I am too many times), but didn't Dean Smith use to do this on occasion also?

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I am too many times), but didn't Dean Smith use to do this on occasion also?

Dean Smith's second 5 could have started for most any other team. So that's a big difference. I can't stand the 5 and 5 deal. You can wear the other team out with depth without subbing 5 for 5. The loss of continuity in games has hurt us more times than it has helped us. Yes there have been games where the second 5 has sparked the team. I think you get a lot further with your depth when you sprinkle in subsitutions such that your younger less confident players are in there playing with a few of your very best players- to take a little pressure off. I think Andre Hollins is better off in there with Rodney Williams than with Oto for example- and that's no knock on Oto.

The one time I think the 5 for 5 move is a good one is when the starters come out and lay an egg right away and the coach sends out the second 5 as a message. Beyond that-no.

Reading the article it sounds like they don't interchange much in practice, if at all. Good or bad, the 5 sub thing seems as if it's going to stay that way, at least in the first half of games.

Top Bottom