APR: The NCAA needs to stick to its guns vs. UConn in 2012-13

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
If they allow UConn to self-impose penalties allowing them to be eligible for the NCAA tourney in 2013, then what clout does the "postseason ban" penalty really have? UConn has always pushed the envelope under Calhoun, always straddled that "gray area", can't let them off the hook.

If UConn gets off with anything less than a postseason ban, future programs that fail in the 4-year APR data will just follow UConn's lead. ... (1) self-impose, (2) express remorse & (3) "not fair to the current players" (yadda, yadda, yadda), but remain eligible for the big carrot (NCAA tourney).

Generally I'm a supporter of the NCAA, but I suspect they'll take the easy way out like they did with Florida State and the mascot controversy. If you're a big-name name program with a lot of money behind you (i.e. UConn, FSU), we'll find a way to allow a double standard. If you're not a big-name program (UND), we'll show how tough we are.

It should be noted that 4 schools are ineligible for the 2012 postseason for this same thing. ... Cal State-Northridge, Grambling State, Southern U & UL-Monroe. Do you think they'll be watching what the NCAA does with UConn's waiver proposal?

REMORSE AFTER THE FACT. ..

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...lf-imposed-penalties-academic-progress-report

UConn

If they allow UConn to self-impose penalties allowing them to be eligible for the NCAA tourney in 2013, then what clout does the "postseason ban" penalty really have? UConn has always pushed the envelope under Calhoun, always straddled that "gray area", can't let them off the hook.

If UConn gets off with anything less than a postseason ban, future programs that fail in the 4-year APR data will just follow UConn's lead. ... (1) self-impose, (2) express remorse & (3) "not fair to the current players" (yadda, yadda, yadda), but remain eligible for the big carrot (NCAA tourney).

Generally I'm a supporter of the NCAA, but I suspect they'll take the easy way out like they did with Florida State and the mascot controversy. If you're a big-name name program with a lot of money behind you (i.e. UConn, FSU), we'll find a way to allow a double standard. If you're not a big-name program (UND), we'll show how tough we are.

It should be noted that 4 schools are ineligible for the 2012 postseason for this same thing. ... Cal State-Northridge, Grambling State, Southern U & UL-Monroe. Do you think they'll be watching what the NCAA does with UConn's waiver proposal?

REMORSE AFTER THE FACT. ..

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...lf-imposed-penalties-academic-progress-report

After seeing the NCAA drill both USC and Ohio State in football, I don't forsee them giving UConn any special treatment, just a hunch.

After seeing the NCAA drill both USC and Ohio State in football, I don't forsee them giving UConn any special treatment, just a hunch.

USC got drilled, but Ohio State sure didn't. A 1 year bowl ban and 9 scholarships over 3 years is not "laying down the hammer" by any stretch of imagination.

The continued media coverage played a big part in the USC and OSU results. The media is not interested in following academics so this might likely be a NCAA folding opportunity and call it a "warning". UConn basketball "sit out" - not likely. Interesting to watch...

The continued media coverage played a big part in the USC and OSU results. The media is not interested in following academics so this might likely be a NCAA folding opportunity and call it a "warning". UConn basketball "sit out" - not likely. Interesting to watch...

There's always Cleveland State.

ESPN speculated that the USC punishment was much harsher than OSU because USC fought the allegations and thus challenged the NCAA.

UConn is making a show of cooperating, claiming to have addressed the problem by firing the (scapegoats) persons responsible. I would not be surprised if they get off. Hypocritical to not play the exhibition games but still go to Paradise Jam. If they want to punish themselves, they should not allow a travel tournament.

It "ain't" over, yet. The NCAA committee is meeting later this month to consider changing the years of reporting. That will allow UConn to qualify. Anybody want to wager? wait and see....

Top Bottom