Williams Arena Renovation Idea

randomjoe

Reaction score
In the next 10-20 years the it will need to be replaced, there is not a lot of real estate left near campus for a new arena. How about they gut the interior of the Williams/Sports Pavilion complex and then build a new seating bowl a la Oracle Arena in Oakland? There they lowered the building's floor so they could add more luxury suites/seating. Williams/Sports Pavilion is certainly large enough to try something like that.

The team then spends 2 seasons or so playing at Target Center or Xcel.

Any architects have thoughts?

How bout instead, they just get rid of those stupid beams that block view of the court, expand the student section to wrap more around the court, and add a few extra nice bells and whistles. Boom done! Welcome to the new and improved Williams Arena.

I have many fond memories from back in the 70's of wondering what just happened trying to visually manipulate those beams. I may have to start a 'Save the Beams' movement. Na!

Not sure how moving the student section improves anything, other than the view of the students.

Does the student section make the team, or does the team make the student section?

Not sure how moving the student section improves anything, other than the view of the students.

Does the student section make the team, or does the team make the student section?

oooo.. that's deep. I think the answer is both. But if the student section was more around the court, I think Williams arena would be louder and create a better atmosphere... Thus there would be less discussion about getting a new arena.

oooo.. that's deep. I think the answer is both. But if the student section was more around the court, I think Williams arena would be louder and create a better atmosphere... Thus there would be less discussion about getting a new arena.

Rather than moving it, or making it wrap around, I would love to the students have both sections behind the hoops.

As for the Barn needing to go, how many people here think Alan Field House is starting to look old? Or what about Cameron indoor? Winning these so called problems. I work at a school with a great tradition right now, but the basketball program has been down for four years and the football team didn't win state this year. So people are already talking about how run down we are, and how there are bigger and better schools ready to talk our place. Today people are always ready to toss the baby out with the bath water. The Barn is not the issue, I have said that a practice facility is needed, but if you don't think running up those stairs is a big deal then I would propose you are not a Gopher Basketball fan. Fix it up, and some seats, take out the obstructed one what ever but I would have a hard time going to see the Gophers anywhere else.

Is Williams structurally deficient? If not, I see no need to tear it down. Maybe some modifications are needed, (new roof, scoreboard, sound system) and maybe expand the concourse on the University Ave side to include more bathrooms and maybe a clothing store.

Allen Fieldhouse had a big renovation a couple of years ago. That being said Minnesota is in a different boat from those schools. For them and their fans they are the only game in town. Its been beaten to death on this is site but Gopher sports is competing with the T-Wolves, Wild, Vikes ect when it comes to game day experience AND when forking over the bucks for expensive tickets and preferred seating, most members of the general public don't see the charm of obstructed seats or crowded concourses.

How about we leave the Barn the way it is and make improvements as needed...it's The Barn!

Rather than moving it, or making it wrap around, I would love to the students have both sections behind the hoops.

As for the Barn needing to go, how many people here think Alan Field House is starting to look old? Or what about Cameron indoor? Winning these so called problems. I work at a school with a great tradition right now, but the basketball program has been down for four years and the football team didn't win state this year. So people are already talking about how run down we are, and how there are bigger and better schools ready to talk our place. Today people are always ready to toss the baby out with the bath water. The Barn is not the issue, I have said that a practice facility is needed, but if you don't think running up those stairs is a big deal then I would propose you are not a Gopher Basketball fan. Fix it up, and some seats, take out the obstructed one what ever but I would have a hard time going to see the Gophers anywhere else.

Cameron is a dump. I love it but eww.

Cameron is also the home of a program that is big deal Nationally, but regionally most of the college grads in the area went to UNC or NC State. Notice how both those schools play in big modern arenas.

How bout instead, they just get rid of those stupid beams that block view of the court, expand the student section to wrap more around the court, and add a few extra nice bells and whistles. Boom done! Welcome to the new and improved Williams Arena.

Sometimes you just have to yield to pragmatism, and new economic reality. But I HATE to see the loss of history, and old arenas just have such character. I really wish that some kind of renovation could be the course to take.

why not build a new arena with all the bells and whistles but do it in a nostalgic way? elevated floor, etc etc

Its also a matter of keeping up with the rest of the conference. Schools with older arenas are building new ones (nebraska, indiana) or renovating their current ones (purdue, iowa) Right now we are the bottom of the conference when it comes to basketball facilities.

Gut the Barn, keep it cozy, expand concourses, keep the floor raised.

Is the raised floor a must. Doesn't seem as though everyone is rushing to have one. Maybe it's just because we have one. Can't ever change you know.

When you consider its the most unique and interesting thing about the program, yes the raised floor is a must.

Most non-sports people I know from around the country hear that I went to the University of Minnesota, they say

1. Cold
2."They're good at hockey, right?"
3. Raised floor

When you consider its the most unique and interesting thing about the program, yes the raised floor is a must.

Most non-sports people I know from around the country hear that I went to the University of Minnesota, they say

1. Cold
2."They're good at hockey, right?"
3. Raised floor

And how are those 3 points doing for us so far? :)

If I was a coach, I would hate the raised floor. It makes it much more difficult to communicate with other coaches and players. You can't just sit next to them. Plus, sitting on Clem's stool has got to be uncomfortable. Also, the sight lines from below the floor suck. And it robs the place of very expensive and awesome floor-level seating.

Get rid of it.

Hammer away, but your reasons will have everything to do with sentiment and nothing to do with practicality. Go!

If I was a coach, I would hate the raised floor. It makes it much more difficult to communicate with other coaches and players. You can't just sit next to them. Plus, sitting on Clem's stool has got to be uncomfortable. Also, the sight lines from below the floor suck. And it robs the place of very expensive and awesome floor-level seating.

Get rid of it.

Hammer away, but your reasons will have everything to do with sentiment and nothing to do with practicality. Go!

I tend to agree, although I'm sure we are in the minority.

Throwing away the only thing that makes you unique does not a good brand make.

Keep the raised floor.

Get rid of it.

Tubby doesn't seem to have any trouble communicating---the Tubby glare can be seen from miles away.

How does the sightline from below the floor suck? This isn't football, you don't need to see where the first down line is. --You could still have the awesome front row seating but they've given the majority of front row seats to the press, handicapped, students, band and whatever athletic workers they need on the bench side. The world would not come to an end if they sent Reusse and Sid to the corner and charged 200 a seat for the front row.

Tubby doesn't seem to have any trouble communicating---the Tubby glare can be seen from miles away.

How does the sightline from below the floor suck? ..... The world would not come to an end if they sent Reusse and Sid to the corner and charged 200 a seat for the front row.

Glaring isn't the only communicating a coach does. He has to stoop down to talk to a player or coach. Do you think this leads to more or less communicating in general? Hint: It's less.

Seats where you have to stare at an upward angle for the entire game suck. The press can have those seats, as far as I'm concerned. It also makes the viewing angle from the first 5-6 rows suck, relative to what it should be. Ever sit behind the bench, in what should be amazing seats? Well they're not. The coach is always in your way.

19, looks like it's you and me. Which is to say, one more than I expected!

Top Bottom