Kaler on Tubby extension: "I'm not ruling out extensions before the new AD starts."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Kaler on Tubby extension: "I'm not ruling out extensions before the new AD starts."

per this Q&A from Marcus:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19914780

Is there timetable on extension talks for Tubby Smith?

When the season is over, it will come into view. The next AD is going to have to weigh in on any potential extension. But I will say, I'm not ruling out extensions before the new AD starts. But the new AD will have to be identified and have a role in any extension decision. We're talking about Gophers basketball, so we have to go all the way through to the end of March Madness because we're still going to be playing. That gets you to the first of April. I would think we would have an AD identified by early June or late May. So we're talking just a few weeks of time.

Does Smith have to make the NCAA tournament to get an extension?

Any extension that we offer Tubby will reflect what he's done in the contract prior to that. Obviously, recent success at the end of the season is going to put him in a better place to talk about an extension than going 0-7 in the rest of the league.

Have you indicated to Smith that he will get an extension regardless of how the season ends?

I haven't said that directly to Tubby. But there are a lot of people in those conversations. Certainly, I'm open to the discussion of extending his contract. I think that's probably the best I can say.

Go Gophers!!

per this Q&A from Marcus:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19914780

Is there timetable on extension talks for Tubby Smith?

When the season is over, it will come into view. The next AD is going to have to weigh in on any potential extension. But I will say, I'm not ruling out extensions before the new AD starts. But the new AD will have to be identified and have a role in any extension decision. We're talking about Gophers basketball, so we have to go all the way through to the end of March Madness because we're still going to be playing. That gets you to the first of April. I would think we would have an AD identified by early June or late May. So we're talking just a few weeks of time.

Does Smith have to make the NCAA tournament to get an extension?

Any extension that we offer Tubby will reflect what he's done in the contract prior to that. Obviously, recent success at the end of the season is going to put him in a better place to talk about an extension than going 0-7 in the rest of the league.

Have you indicated to Smith that he will get an extension regardless of how the season ends?

I haven't said that directly to Tubby. But there are a lot of people in those conversations. Certainly, I'm open to the discussion of extending his contract. I think that's probably the best I can say.

Go Gophers!!

Love the bolded part from the Prez. That said, I really hated the extension for Kill and would be unhappy to see Tubby extended for similar reasons. Candidates for the A.D. position could see recent contract extensions to revenue sports head coaches as a significant negative.

Top Bottom