Chip Armelin is a poor man's...

Block M

Reaction score
Michael Redd, and Tubby should give this kid at LEAST 7 min more of PT per game. He has the most diverse skill set on the team and best combination of skill/athleticism.

Michael Redd seems like a strange comparison given his ability to shoot from the perimeter. Chip is much shorter than both Redd and Grier, though I'd lean more towards the Grier comparison. Chip reminds me more of a guy like Kevin Clark (I believe Bleed made this comparison) in that he's very athletic and can do things that both wow you and make you cringe. If Chip could develop his right hand (and his overall handle), it would be huge for his game.

I agree about more PT for Chip as long as that doesn't come at the expense of the spark he provides when he does enter the game.

chip reminds me a lot of a player from the late 90's named Kevin Nathaniel.

I agree he should play more but only when he's playing well. Last year and earlier this year he was very streaky. One game he played well, the next very poorly. He's been consistently solid/good lately. Hopefully that continues.

chip reminds me a lot of a player from the late 90's named Kevin Nathaniel.

No way. Nathaniel couldn't shoot the ball at all and was no where near as athletic. I think the Grier comparison is much closer.

I agree that Nathaniel couldn't shoot but he was very athletic.

They're different players physically, but I think Chip could become our poor man's Ron Artest.

Michael Redd seems like a strange comparison given his ability to shoot from the perimeter. Chip is much shorter than both Redd and Grier, though I'd lean more towards the Grier comparison. Chip reminds me more of a guy like Kevin Clark (I believe Bleed made this comparison) in that he's very athletic and can do things that both wow you and make you cringe. If Chip could develop his right hand (and his overall handle), it would be huge for his game.

I agree about more PT for Chip as long as that doesn't come at the expense of the spark he provides when he does enter the game.

Solid post.

I like Chip because he doesn't seem fearful of Tubby's wrath. He says "screw it" and takes chances that many won't - sometimes for the bad, but mostly for the good - and we need someone to take chances.

What about Charles Thomas?

6'4" guard/forward left handed Clem recruited out of Kentucky.

Very athletic; could score in bunches, limited ball handling skills.

I see a lot of Chip in Charles.

No way. Nathaniel couldn't shoot the ball at all and was no where near as athletic. I think the Grier comparison is much closer.

and Chip can shoot? Rodney Williams is a better shooter than Chip. Better FG%. Better 3 pt %. Better FT %...and Rodney isn't a good shooter.

Anybody that shoots 40% from the FT line is anything but a good shooter. Chip is good in the open floor and can supply energy for a prolonged offensive run and that's about it. He's a below average defender, is awful in the halfcourt set, and is a candidate for a hack-a-chip strategy if he's in the game at crunch time.

TO

Reminds me of Townsend Orr, and TO was one of my favorite Gophers. A lot of plays where you go "oh no" but he also makes a lot of good things happen. Gopher games are much more exciting when he's in the game, and in B1G that is dominated by half-court sets, I like to see that. He'll only get better over the next couple years. Lots of room to grow, especially on D.

He is going to be involved in about 5 really exciting/crucial plays per game, you just have to hope 3 of the 5 are good for us instead of them. Either way he is fun to watch and I enjoy having him on the team.

Chip is athletic and aggressive and has a knack for scoring in the lane, something not everyone has (for instance if Nolen had Chip's ability to convert in the paint he could have been an All Conference player). Chip has improved his J but is still streaky. His problem is he's not a good ball handler at all and his D is cringe worthy. If he puts in the work to get his handle under control and focuses on D he could give 25-28 mns per night

Redd isn't a bad comparrison.He was not a great outside shooter at Ohio State but more of a slasher.A smaller Michael Redd.I think Chip's shot is already better than Grier's, but Vince was so much bigger.

Reminds me of Townsend Orr, and TO was one of my favorite Gophers. A lot of plays where you go "oh no" but he also makes a lot of good things happen. Gopher games are much more exciting when he's in the game, and in B1G that is dominated by half-court sets, I like to see that. He'll only get better over the next couple years. Lots of room to grow, especially on D.

Exactly!! You beat me to it.

The only thing he has in common (style of play) with Grier is the funky dribbling.

and Chip can shoot? Rodney Williams is a better shooter than Chip. Better FG%. Better 3 pt %. Better FT %...and Rodney isn't a good shooter.

Anybody that shoots 40% from the FT line is anything but a good shooter. Chip is good in the open floor and can supply energy for a prolonged offensive run and that's about it. He's a below average defender, is awful in the halfcourt set, and is a candidate for a hack-a-chip strategy if he's in the game at crunch time.

I think if you look at Chip's 3 point shooting over the last 5-6 games it has improved quite abit. Agree on the defense. He is brutal.

Chip

Chip is athletic and aggressive and has a knack for scoring in the lane, something not everyone has (for instance if Nolen had Chip's ability to convert in the paint he could have been an All Conference player). Chip has improved his J but is still streaky. His problem is he's not a good ball handler at all and his D is cringe worthy. If he puts in the work to get his handle under control and focuses on D he could give 25-28 mns per night

Nolen got into the lane on his ability. He did miss a lot of bunnies. I would love to have Nolen on this team. Great handle, excellent defense, great open court vision. Remember that lots of those drives into the lane were late in the shot clock as the "pass it around the perimeter weave offense" really stalled. Lots of those time he forced guys to foul him late in the shot clock and we got free throws out of it. He did have trouble bouncing in a pass to the post that is one thing I had a hard time understanding from such a great point guard.

Chip looks the part of a great defender but he loses his guy so it could be just a mental thing which may be easier to fix then someone who is just to slow. I think Kevin Clark is the best comparison also.

Chip shooting percentages

In B10 play: 46% overall; 41% from 3. Not bad considering he hardly gets to lather up when on the court. I have no idea why he shoots FTs so poorly, but it must be a lack of mental focus more than anything.

Chip could be the 15-18 ppg guy that Tubby has not had (or not developed) during his time at UM. No one else on the roster has the type of scoring potential with the possible exception of Coleman and Andre Hollins. But he needs more minutes for us to find out.

Chip's one of a few guys on the team who have poor free throw shooting mechanics. He, Rodney and Eliason can be fixed. I'm not sure what's wrong with Oto. The coaches need to be working with the players on fixing their mechanics. Especially in the case of Chip, this isn't a matter of lack of skill.

Chip's one of a few guys on the team who have poor free throw shooting mechanics. He, Rodney and Eliason can be fixed. I'm not sure what's wrong with Oto. The coaches need to be working with the players on fixing their mechanics. Especially in the case of Chip, this isn't a matter of lack of skill.

Way too small of a sample size. The combination of him being a freshmen (maybe being a little nervous) and only 16 attempts can scew his FT numbers.

Free throws struggles are almost always a mental thing, especially when its happening to a guy who shoots descent from the outside. Jump shots generally happen in the flow of the game, so the player doesn't really think about it much. Free throws are a different story.

Grier is probably the best comparison, only he was afforded the minutes to develop. I also think Grier had a better handle and was better at beating his man off the dribble than Chip is at this point...But Chip might get to that level with more PT.

I'd like to see Tubby basically go with 8 guys the rest of the season:

PG: Welch
SG: Coleman
SF: Austin Hollins
PK: Williams
C: Eliason

Andre Hollins, Chip and Ralph would be our primary guys coming off the bench and Tubby should play whoever is going well from game to game.

Osiniencks, Ahanmisi and Ingram should stay on the pine and let the heart of the team play and develop chemistry.

Chip leads the team in two catagories....

mostly likely to transfer next year & most likely to be asked to leave if we get short on scholarships.

I like Chip because he doesn't seem fearful of Tubby's wrath. He says "screw it" and takes chances that many won't - sometimes for the bad, but mostly for the good - and we need someone to take chances.

Though I'm not quite ready to predict that Chip is the most likely to transfer due to a scholarship issue...he's not (Ingram). I will say that he definitely has the Larry Westbrook/Devoe Joseph gene in him that makes him apt to just say 'screw it... I'm gonna try this and see what happens' mentality. We need this from someone and Tubby must realize it to, otherwise he'd get the hook much sooner than he does.

Chip is fortunate that his between the leg flourish that he put on that pass against Nebraska worked out.... the pass decoration was not nearly as necessary as the fake behind the back pass in the Illinois game. Both were cool... but it wouldn't have been so cool if it didn't work. That's the kind of stuff that gets you yanked in a blink of an eye.

Grier is probably the best comparison, only he was afforded the minutes to develop. I also think Grier had a better handle and was better at beating his man off the dribble than Chip is at this point...But Chip might get to that level with more PT.

I'd like to see Tubby basically go with 8 guys the rest of the season:

PG: Welch
SG: Coleman
SF: Austin Hollins
PK: Williams
C: Eliason

Andre Hollins, Chip and Ralph would be our primary guys coming off the bench and Tubby should play whoever is going well from game to game.

Osiniencks, Ahanmisi and Ingram should stay on the pine and let the heart of the team play and develop chemistry.

Oto will either be a starter or major contributer moving forward & Mav will be a major contributor after Welch leaves, backing up Hollins.(

mostly likely to transfer next year & most likely to be asked to leave if we get short on scholarships.

Last year this statement might have been true when it was so obvious that he should have been given longer minutes under the dire conditions we were in (Hoff at the point!!). This year Tubby has given him a fair chance and Chip has come through very nicely.

Top Bottom