The Barnyard = Top student section!!!

TcGophers

Banned
Reaction score
The BARNYARD is currently leading Big Ten Network's Home Court Challenge competition as the toughest student section in the Big Ten Conference for opponents - Gopher foes are making just 54% of their free throws this season!

What I get from this:
- No need to get a new arena
- No need to move the student section

Great to hear. DON'T CHANGE A THING.

This surely makes up for being ranked terribly in ft "defense" the last several years.
344th in 2011
126 in 2010
325 in 2009
301 in 2008

Glad to see no one thinks luck is the real reason for the improvement, because that couldn't be it.

Glad to see no one thinks luck is the real reason for the improvement, because that couldn't be it.

I think the reason for improvement is this: Incredibly small sample size.

This includes 4 games.

I was talking to my roommate about crowd noise and free throws awhile ago. His thoughts were that the louder it is, the easier it is to make free throws, specifically pressure ones.

Less "being alone with your thoughts" when it is noisy. Same kind of thing as practicing with music on as opposed to in complete silence.

I was talking to my roommate about crowd noise and free throws awhile ago. His thoughts were that the louder it is, the easier it is to make free throws, specifically pressure ones.

Less "being alone with your thoughts" when it is noisy. Same kind of thing as practicing with music on as opposed to in complete silence.

Sometimes you can hear a pin drop in The Barn when one of our guys is shooting. That has to be a little weird. Says to the shooter: Everyone is focused on you, don't blow it.

I don't remember who said it but remember someone saying the sightlines looking past the basket from the freethrow line are very unique at The Barn. Something about the combination of the raised floor and proximity and angle of the stands. Maybe it makes opposing shooters dizzy.

It's simple, as in the past - when you win they will come. Just wait until Thursday night!

This same thing measuring the same thing came up last year. The Barnyard is not the craziest student section. Not bad, but not close to the top in the B1G. As someone posted last year, the Barn is a weird place to play basketball. Weird place to shoot with the elevated floor and all.

Don't want to be a Debby Downer, but I don't think that our student section is the only reason why our opponent's free throw percentage isn't great.

What I get from this:
- No need to get a new arena
- No need to move the student section

Also, those 70 year olds might be more intimidating than our youthful posters want to admit.

Yeah. Why does the student section get credit for the free throw percentage? The opposing team only shoots fts in front of the student section for half the game. I wanna see a breakdown by half.

Iowa was 3-7 in the first half (at the far end): 43%
Iowa was 11-16 in the second half (at the SS end): 69%

Purdue was 1-3 in the first half: 33%
Purdue was 8-16 in the second half: 50%

NW was 3-8 in the first half: 38%
NW was 5-12 in the second half: 42%

Illinois was 4-8 in the first half: 50%
Illinois was 15-21 in the second half 50%: 71%

Opponents are 11-26 in the first half when facing the "old folks": 42%
Opponents are 39-67 in the second half when facing the "rowdy" student section: 58%

Interesting.

Numbers don't lie. All students need to wear Depends Thursday night too match the Karma.

The four teams we've played at home are also the four worst FT shooting teams in BT play. Might have something to do with it.

The four teams we've played at home are also the four worst FT shooting teams in BT play. Might have something to do with it.

Ha ha ha. True.

Still, they all shot well below their average at William. Especially when facing away from the student section.

Don't want to be a Debby Downer, but I don't think that our student section is the only reason why our opponent's free throw percentage isn't great.

RoyalGopher...you are a Debbie Downer :( I thought it was our student section.:confused:

Ha ha ha. True.

Still, they all shot well below their average at William. Especially when facing away from the student section.

Perhaps having loud noises behind you where you can't see the source is more distracting than noises coming from in front of you. Or maybe scattered waving arms is more effective than a mass of waving arms. Any psychology majors in the house interested in doing a study? Haha

Opponents are 39-67 in the second half when facing the "rowdy" student section: 58%

Interesting.

Thank you for that research. Much more enlightening than those advanced stats with which GW likes to show off. Also, you have none of his arrogance. Well done, Sir.

Interesting.[/

Nm

Wisconsin was 3-4 facing the "old folks": 75%
Wisconsin was 18-21 facing the rowdy student section: 86%

Opponents are 14-30 when facing the "old folks": 47%
Opponents are 57-88 when facing the students: 65%

I will say I was impressed with the variety of giant heads floating around.

Brock Lesnar
Betty White
Bobby Knight
Clint Eastwood
Charlie Brown
BO Y U MAD?

Did I miss any others?

Opponents are 14-30 when facing the "old folks": 47%
Opponents are 57-88 when facing the students: 65%

That's still a very, very small sample size. It would be an interesting statistic though to see how the two percentages compare after 300-400 free throws.

Top Bottom