Tubby Smith Radio Show 2/6

scher215

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to be attending the Tubby Smith Radio Show this evening (This is the only thing that motivated me to leave the house today after the Pats lost yesterday) and the information for the event says Tubby likes questions from the audience.

Unfortunatley, I have been unable to come up with a reasonable question that won't make me the most hated fan in Tubby Smith land (I am still hoping to earn a walk on spot when I go back to Grad School.

Questions like, Why do you always sub 5 for 5, Why does the team look scared on offense sometimes, what are your thoughts on Flip Saunders, etc. don't seem like great questions to me.

So, any one have any ideas of a good, informative, question I can try to ask tonight?

Thanks in advance!

What are your thoughts on Dre Hollins' development? Do you think he will develop into a PG?

What do you think of the development of Oto (can't spell his last name, won't try)? Do you see him as more of a 3 or a 4 going forward?

Basically I would just ask about the development of one of the younger players, maybe Chip? Seems like the hot topic of discussion around here.

It is your question- ask what YOU want. Great opportunity for you.

If I had the chance, I would ask what his game plan is to get the 2014 kids to stay in state and attend the U. He won't be able to name names and speak specifically about possibly buying Tyus Jones' neighbors house just to get closer to him but I think he needs a great game plan to out-recruit Izzo, Ryan, Coach K (couldn't spell it if I tried) etc that are coming into MN to watch alot of high school basketball.

"If neither Trevor, nor Rodney come back next year we look to be pretty thin up front on paper. Who do you envision filling the void behind Eliason & Walker? Oto, Ingram? Is Buggs going to need time to develop or do you think he'll have an immediate impact?"

"Speaking of Buggs, he's kind of a mystery man. I know he's got a lot of nice D1 offers but can you describe his game & what type of role you'd like to see him fill as a Gopher?"

I'd ask how he got the team to suddenly go from awful to awesome in defending three-pointers.

I would ask him..."When we win, the guys did awesome. When we lose, you are a bum. Why is that?"

Can't question the man. Simply thank him for playing the toughest nonconference schedule of all teams in the Big Ten.

...or, ask if he'll consider opening more practices to the public next season.

Can't question the man. Simply thank him for playing the toughest nonconference schedule of all teams in the Big Ten.

...or, ask if he'll consider opening more practices to the public next season.

Why the hell would he do that? So the experts can get an early jump on who should play and why?

Why the hell would he do that? So the experts can get an early jump on who should play and why?

Because some fans would enjoy & appreciate it and because some programs do have a ton of open practices.

How's the practice facility progressing?

You could also ask him how things might be different with a new AD but I doubt you'd get anything out of him.

I would ask him about Rodney Williams' development. Specifically, in what ways have you seen him get better as a player and/or leader?

Ask about Oto. He seems to be getting more comfortable with being on the floor. Is he hesitant to shoot for a reason? What will it take for his shots to fall!

I'd ask how he got the team to suddenly go from awful to awesome in defending three-pointers.

This actually deserves note. Tubby is to be praised here. The fact is -we were terrible against threes. Recently we have been much better. What is noticable is that we are not constantly chasing and a step behind. I think Tubby has to get some real credit here for helping these guys improve on D. We have some real tough matchups coming to test this but we have shown progress.

1) Who the hell is Buggs and why is he under-performing compared to his d1 teammates?
2) Is Andre Hollins going to finally get the majority of back up duties? We have more upside with Andre, what is there to lose?
3) How do people get more involved in practice facility talks? And I mean besides complaining or sending emails to AD and President.

Unfortunatley coach Smith had to leave the show early to go watch Apple Valley / Lakeville South so there wasn't really time for Tubby. Jamal Abu-Shamala and Saul Smith took his place about halfway through. I am going again on the 20th though and will hopefully get a question asked then. FWIW, Oto, Mav and Welch were all there shooting with Mav staying for quite a while.

Coach Smith was also very nice and went around and shook everyone's hands.

Some things that he talked about, and I am definitley missing things as I was more focused on listening, but some things I found interesting:

1) Talked about the Nebraska practice facility (This was brought up by Mike Grimm, not Tubby) and they talked about some of the things they saw. They mentioned the TV's in the bathroom stall, the Ipads in the lockers, etc. Also mentioned that each player has their own individual shower. It has 4 showerheads (one on each side) they are sound proof and play the music from your locker mounted iPad. There is also a 105" TV that hangs in the practice facility and at any time during practice, the coach can stop things and watch a previous play or previous part of practice. There is also somewhere that the coach can sit and can just say, "Show Joe Coleman shooting on hoop 5" and the camera switches to that court. Sounded pretty impressive. Tubby then mentioned that it is a disadvantage not having one, but that the school still has numerous positives that he sells. Great school, great city, great fans, etc.

2)Tubby mentioned that one stat they look at is player efficiency rating, I believe this is the John Hollinger PER. He said it is the same stat the NBA uses. They use it to see who had a good game for them.

3) They asked about fans clamoring for different players starting and he said that guys don't earn starting spots for 1-2 games they earn it over the entire season and off season. That he can see how hard guys have worked and the time they've put in, one game doesn't earn you a starting spot, constant hard work does.

4) Talked about Joe Coleman not scoring lately. He said that teams are starting to scout him now and know that he wants to drive and draw contact. He mentioned some times during the Nebraska game where teams just sag off and he would drive and go for contact and the defender just backed away and Joe lost it. Tubby said he needs to shoot the open jump shot when he has it to keep teams honest. They are playing him for the drive now.

5) He went on to talk about even though Joe didn't score, he was still very happy with his play. He was being where he needed to on deffense and grabbed 7 rebounds. Said he doesn't mind if a guy isn't scoring, because there are numerous ways you can impact a game without scoring.

6) Talked more about scouting and with a young team, guys come in thinking, well in High School we never had a scouting report I was just better than everyone else ... and took a guy off of the dribble or blocked his shot or whatever. Mentioned that Draymond Green is a player who spends hours studying film and that is how he has gotten to be such a smart player. Said he isn't inherintly smarter than anyone else, but the work he puts in the film room gives him a great basketball IQ. He said as players get older and more mature they will start to learn the value of watching film and the scouting report and game plan. They will understand that what they are looking at is the same thing other teams will look at for them and they also need to figure out ways to take make an impact and become a well-rounded player.

7) Talked about Chip Armelin a lot and how great he is in the open floor. Said he liked about the Nebraska game that they rebounded and got turnovers. Talked about how the lack of rebounding and turnovers had really limited their transition gane, but once they get rebounds/turnovers you can push the ball better and if you score more you can press easier and more often as well.

8) Mentioned that the points in transition wasn't all Chip, and when a guy has a good game he also needs to thank his teammates. Mentioned specifically the play where Rodney dove for the ball and flipped it for the break. Especially mentioned that they have a lot of assists as a team so they play very well together and are all contributing.

9) Lastly, he talked about Elliot playing in front of his friends and family and how efficiently he played. However, he also told a story about when he was playing football and he never played but with a few minutes left and the game decided his family started chanting "We Want Tubby" "We Want Tubby" and so the coach called him over and said, "TUBBY! You might want to go up there, I think your family wants you" it was a pretty funny story.

10) One of the best stories came from Saul Smith. They asked him about playing basketball and coaching and everything. He talked about how he didn't really want a life in basketball. He liked playing and everything, but it wasn't a very stable life. He wanted to live a normal life he did work at a law firm for awhile, but then was drawn to coaching and helping kids develop. He talked about the differences in coaching and playing saying that in coaching all you can do is prepare the kids the best that you can, but ultimatley they are the ones making the plays and you can't go out there and defend for them.

He talked about playing PG for his dad and said that he'd (Tubby) call plays from the sideline and Saul would just think, "Yeah, Okay dad, I'm gonna call this other play, if Jamaal Magloire is calling for the ball, I'm going to give it to him". He had to live with the big guy and was more concerned with him beating him up for not getting him the ball, so he was going to feed him lol

I'll add to this if I remember other things.

Funny how Nebraska isn't winning or recruiting well with such a nice practice facility. I thought that was the missing piece for a mediocre program.

Did you ask him if he forsees a time when the Gophers might actually finish in the top half of the Big Ten standings under his tutelage. Whoops, how dumb of me to question the man. Sorry.

Funny how Nebraska isn't winning or recruiting well with such a nice practice facility. I thought that was the missing piece for a mediocre program.

Well, considering the facility opened four months ago, not sure they are seeing a residual yet. Let's check out the recruiting classes over the next ten years and see if they are better than the past ten years. My guess is they will be upgraded and the facility will have some impact on that.

Well, considering the facility opened four months ago, not sure they are seeing a residual yet. Let's check out the recruiting classes over the next ten years and see if they are better than the past ten years. My guess is they will be upgraded and the facility will have some impact on that.

At this point though, having a nice practice facility is becoming the norm. It's not so much about creating an advantage anymore, but rather keeping up with everyone else.

At this point though, having a nice practice facility is becoming the norm. It's not so much about creating an advantage anymore, but rather keeping up with everyone else.

Yep, pretty much. It's not like Nebraska's suddenly gonna become a juggernaut. The idea is that with it, they at least have a chance at attracting some kids who may have previously completely ignored them.

Obviously though, the best argument a coach can have in a recruit's living room is winning. But getting the players in to make those wins happen becomes a more difficult task when you don't have the facilities or at least the ability to tell a recruit they can practice in your gym whenever they want/need it.

I am glad Tubby chose to go watch Tyus instead of staying at the studio. Good long term decision for Tubby and I hope it works out for the Gophers.

Top Bottom