Last five seconds before halftime this season

zipsofakron

Champion of the Sun
Reaction score
After the Huskers hit a buzzer-beating three pointer before halftime today, I had the reaction we all have, which was, "Jesus. How does the other team ALWAYS seem to hit those last second shots? And why don't we ever seem to?"

So I did a bit of research and found that in shot attempts with five seconds or less left on the clock in the first half (my arbitrary definition of "last second") the Gophers are shooting a mere 1-10 this season (Chip hit a jumper with :05 left against NDSU), while opponents are shooting a near mind-numbing 60% on 6-10.

So, at least there are some hard numbers to show that it's not always perception when it comes to being a Gopher fan.

After the Huskers hit a buzzer-beating three pointer before halftime today, I had the reaction we all have, which was, "Jesus. How does the other team ALWAYS seem to hit those last second shots? And why don't we ever seem to?"

So I did a bit of research and found that in shot attempts with five seconds or less left on the clock in the first half (my arbitrary definition of "last second") the Gophers are shooting a mere 1-10 this season (Chip hit a jumper with :05 left against NDSU), while opponents are shooting a near mind-numbing 60% on 6-10.

So, at least there are some hard numbers to show that it's not always perception when it comes to being a Gopher fan.

Not to criticize your numbers, but our 10 attempts + the opponents' 10 attempts = 20 attempts in the last five ticks of the first half. Does that mean there wasn't a last second attempt by either team in four of our games so far this year? I'd find that odd for sure. Either way, troubling. We need to learn how to close out a half.

Not to criticize your numbers, but our 10 attempts + the opponents' 10 attempts = 20 attempts in the last five ticks of the first half. Does that mean there wasn't a last second attempt by either team in four of our games so far this year? I'd find that odd for sure. Either way, troubling. We need to learn how to close out a half.

Yep. There were a handful of games where there wasn't a shot attempt in the final five seconds. Unfortunately, there isn't detailed enough info on the ESPN play-by-play to figure out why there was an absence.

Yep. There were a handful of games where there wasn't a shot attempt in the final five seconds. Unfortunately, there isn't detailed enough info on the ESPN play-by-play to figure out why there was an absence.

A possible reason could be that a player got the shot off late trying to get around a defender in the waning seconds.

I definitely remember Rodney banking home a 3 at the halftime buzzer in one of our games.

Top Bottom