Coach K and Jones

calminnfan

Reaction score
Read somewhere Coach K told Jones he was the only point guard he was going to recruit until 2017.

Personally think that would be incredibly irresponsible of Coach K to do that and seriously doubt it would be true.

Hope Jones does not fall for that line since it makes no sense and is obviously nothing more then a recruiting pitch.

Not a shot at you Calminn, it's a shot at the disingenuineness of Coach K, if he said that. It's frank hyperbole at its worst.

I would hate to see Tyus go to Duke. I'm so sick of Duke!

So he's telling the kid that he doesn't think the talent is there to be a one (or two!) and done? Nice recruiting pitch.

I have heard duke isn't in the top 2 (north Carolina and Michigan state).

So he's telling the kid that he doesn't think the talent is there to be a one (or two!) and done? Nice recruiting pitch.

That's an odd interpretation. You think a kid would be insulted to be part of Duke BB for four years?

Tubby should tell him the same thing-oh wait Tubby hasn't recruited a point guard since he's been here.

That's false and you know it.
I should rephrase it-A point guard with a WOW factor. Name a point guard who Tubby has brought in that has been outstanding. Don't say Al because he was a Monson Recruit. Hopefully Dre can be because we need one. Mav is a role player and Welch is OK but can't make a free throw with less than 5 minutes left in a game. Perfect example today Welch makes 1 out of 3 late in the game and Tubby has to take him out and put Dre in who makes 2 out of 2.

I should rephrase it-A point guard with a WOW factor. Name a point guard who Tubby has brought in that has been outstanding. Don't say Al because he was a Monson Recruit. Hopefully Dre can be because we need one. Mav is a role player and Welch is OK but can't make a free throw with less than 5 minutes left in a game. Perfect example today Welch makes 1 out of 3 late in the game and Tubby has to take him out and put Dre in who makes 2 out of 2.

Cobbs, but of course, he left. Hes averaging almost 5 assists for Cal

Crackhouse said:
Cobbs, but of course, he left. Hes averaging almost 5 assists for Cal

Since when did Cobbs have a wow factor?

tap said:

Your prior statement was false, in part, because you said he has never recruited a PG. he has recruiter numerous, they just have not signed.

Your prior statement was false, in part, because you said he has never recruited a PG. he has recruiter numerous, they just have not signed.
So Mav, Cobbs, Dre, and Welch never signed? Learned something new today.

zambam said:
So Mav, Cobbs, Dre, and Welch never signed? Learned something new today.

Which of them was a true PG? Not knocking Tubby or them at all, true points are fairly rare.

It gets frustrating when people say "Tubby never recruits shooters" or whatever position or player type and make it sound like he purposely says he doesn't need them. That's my point, he has recruited those guys they just haven't always signed.

Tharpe, CoJo, Ray McCallum, etc. were points that Tubby went after and didn't get.

It is not Tyus WOW! More like wow, Cobbs is averaging 4.5 apg compared to Welch who is avering 2.7. The question was posed whether Tubby had recruited a point guard who has been outstanding. Now "outstanding" makes me think of elite pg's ala Jacque Vaughn, Allen Iverson and Stephen Marbury (circa college). A case can be made that Cobbs has been "good" at Cal this season. Maybe not outstanding, but I'd take a Junior PG averaging 4.5 apg who had been in Tubby's system for three years over, and not to knock the adequate job that Welch has done this year, Welch who Tubby finally realized today he needs to take off of the floor in the closing minute when free throws need to be made.

It is not Tyus WOW! More like wow, Cobbs is averaging 4.5 apg compared to Welch who is avering 2.7. The question was posed whether Tubby had recruited a point guard who has been outstanding. Now "outstanding" makes me think of elite pg's ala Jacque Vaughn, Allen Iverson and Stephen Marbury (circa college). A case can be made that Cobbs has been "good" at Cal this season. Maybe not outstanding, but I'd take a Junior PG averaging 4.5 apg who had been in Tubby's system for three years over, and not to knock the adequate job that Welch has done this year, Welch who Tubby finally realized today he needs to take off of the floor in the closing minute when free throws need to be made.

How many WOW point guards are playing in the entire NCAA right now? PG's in the caliber of Iverson/Marbury? Not like there's dozens & we just can't get one. Why exactly would they want to play here, regardless of coach anyhow? We made a hard run at Corey Joseph, but that didn't work out. Get some realistic expectations. PG's like Nolen/Cobbs/Hollins should be more than fine to lead our team so long as we always have one coming down the pipeline. The problem started when we lost Cobbs & weren't able to immediately replace him. We're getting it back on track though now with a Junior & a Freshman who can both play quality minutes at PG.

People do realize Cobbs plays in what is considered the worst major conference in the nation right? The Pac-12 is looking at ONE bid in the tournament so I would hope that a player like Cobb has higher stats.

How many WOW point guards are playing in the entire NCAA right now? PG's in the caliber of Iverson/Marbury? Not like there's dozens & we just can't get one. Why exactly would they want to play here, regardless of coach anyhow? We made a hard run at Corey Joseph, but that didn't work out. Get some realistic expectations. PG's like Nolen/Cobbs/Hollins should be more than fine to lead our team so long as we always have one coming down the pipeline. The problem started when we lost Cobbs & weren't able to immediately replace him. We're getting it back on track though now with a Junior & a Freshman who can both play quality minutes at PG.

I agree with you, but again the question was posed as "when was the last time we we recruited an outstanding pg." Tyus, according to his recruiting acumen, has that chance hence the correlation to Iverson, Vaughn, and Marbury. Your misreading the relation to Cobbs and subsequently my entire post. Cobb's the last 'good' pg we recruited, however he left. My point was if I was coaching, I'd rather take Cobbs' production over Welch's. Hopefully Dre turns out to be the answer...

ShowinGoldyLove said:
Well, not Duke up until last week, as they were late to the pony show with an offer.
I don't think Jr. year in high school is late. Duke believes everybody wants to go to Duke.

Tubby was seen at the Apple Valley-Lakeville South game tonight. My source would not be able to identify any other coaches in a line up, so can't say whether any other significant names were there. At a minimum, the young man will know that the Gophers want him.

Edit: My source sat right next to Tubby, at Tubby's choice. Tubby gave him fruit snacks. More basketball savvy source said Tyus was very good, with an excellent shot and a pass first mentality. She was most impressed with the fact that he handled himself in a mature way on the court.

Well, not Duke up until last week, as they were late to the pony show with an offer.

Are you really gonna go with that angle? Some schools won't even offer kids until after their sophomore year. EVERY SCHOOL in the country would take Tyus. All of them.

Coach K is such a tight-a** that if he swallowed a nickel he'd crap out five pennies.

Top Bottom