Maturi - Salary after July

The Pres is batting .500. At 67 and 10 years of service at the U Maturi is walking away secured for life. Then the Prez comes with the"pork belly" and now he has pissed the State off. You wonder why the football program has been in the crapper for the last 50 years? It bonehead decisions like this. Send him out to pasture Prez. If Maturi wants to keep wiring 90 hours a week he can work for the IRRRB on the Iron Range. This is such BS.

Yeah, hard one to accept. The football board had a long thread on it. To me, seems like a Good Ol' Boys Club. Kaler must be hoping it'll blow over. Maturi has to agree that it beats the heck out of a gold watch.

When you have both parties agreeing on something, you know it must be pretty stupid. Kahler gets an F- on this one. Tin ear. How could any rational person not see this would be bad PR for the U? This is a bad first step for our new Prez.

The other issue is the value Maturi will have. He has some now because he is the AD. Donors will want to meet with the new AD not the fired one. If I was the new AD, I wouldn't want the old one hanging around either. This not a situation, like Alverez at Wisc , where the guy is a god on campus. Barry will always be valuable for fund raising and projects there.

The big loser in this is the University of Minnesota Foundation. Very bad to even have the hint of wasting donor contributions. I wonder if prospective donors will respond "I can't contribute this year, but that's OK take the money from the endowment revenue stream like you did for JM."

I assume they did not keep the incentives - bonus based on Director Cup Standings. Now I understand the focus on nonrevenue sports, this is what the bonus is based on so that is what the administration deems important.

Keep JM as a consultant and pay him based on fund raising, do not pay him a AD level salary. It is not too late to change this.

The big loser in this is the University of Minnesota Foundation. Very bad to even have the hint of wasting donor contributions. I wonder if prospective donors will respond "I can't contribute this year, but that's OK take the money from the endowment revenue stream like you did for JM."

I assume they did not keep the incentives - bonus based on Director Cup Standings. Now I understand the focus on nonrevenue sports, this is what the bonus is based on so that is what the administration deems important.
Keep JM as a consultant and pay him based on fund raising, do not pay him a AD level salary. It is not too late to change this.
Yeah, that stuck out right away to me....Ok this is really probably too idealistic, but why did Maturi even accept doing this if he loves the U so much? He HAS to know it's going to be criticized heavily. Honestly, I want to be able to say "ah, I get it it, he did it because.....!" and it turns out to be a very good reason.

Tell Joel he can keep 1% of every $ he raises for a Practice Facility. That will be a lot less than $300K.

This is yet another embarrassment for the university. What is it with Minnesotans and not holding people accountable for doing your job poorly?

Billy Smith was fired as GM of the Twins only to be kept on the payroll (likely at his same salary) to be a special asst. to the guy who replaced him. WTF? Grow a pair and cut him loose. Absolutely embarrassing and only in Minnesota where we're afraid to offend anyone....

MACturi runs the 2 major sports programs into the ground, gets "fired", yet gets to keep his handsome salary and benefits as a special asst. to his boss and the person replacing him. What fantasy world does thisactually happen in? If the U of M was an actual business, they would've gone belly up a long time ago. How do these decision makers get these jobs? How do you get this far in your carreer by being so fiscally irresponsible?

The U of M will continue to be the laughingstock og the B1G until they completely clean house. This Kaler guy just started but he's obviously just like the previous regime. Clueless.

"...only in Minnesota where we're afraid to offend anyone...." Oh, I don't know. I've been offended by Minnesotans lots of times.

Politics are stupid.

This is yet another embarrassment for the university. What is it with Minnesotans and not holding people accountable for doing your job poorly?

Billy Smith was fired as GM of the Twins only to be kept on the payroll (likely at his same salary) to be a special asst. to the guy who replaced him. WTF? Grow a pair and cut him loose. Absolutely embarrassing and only in Minnesota where we're afraid to offend anyone....

MACturi runs the 2 major sports programs into the ground, gets "fired", yet gets to keep his handsome salary and benefits as a special asst. to his boss and the person replacing him. What fantasy world does thisactually happen in? If the U of M was an actual business, they would've gone belly up a long time ago. How do these decision makers get these jobs? How do you get this far in your carreer by being so fiscally irresponsible?

The U of M will continue to be the laughingstock og the B1G until they completely clean house. This Kaler guy just started but he's obviously just like the previous regime. Clueless.

Bill Smith is not the same situation at all. He simply returned to the job he had before, which he had done well for about 15 years. You don't have to like what he did as GM, but he's not the devil. (And neither is Maturi, despite what I get accused of saying.) That said, this was very poor optics, at the least. Should have just made the clean break.

Top Bottom