Wanted: 6th grade level inbounds play

Block M

Reaction score
Tubby has the most pathetic inbounds plays I have ever seen. Its a major accomplishment when they get it in bounds!

Very damaging loss last night. Another winnable game gone. Our PG play was atrocious.

These inbound plays are WAY above a 6th grade level. The problem with our inbound plays is we try to do too much (trying to set too many things up off of the inbound play I mean). I think we actually need to simplify them. BTW - it is not a miracle when we get the ball in. We probably get it in 95% of the time.

We've actually gotten plenty of easy buckets off inbounds plays. But then we have times (usually at damaging moments), when it is an absolute struggle. Hard to put the finger on it. We don't have that one guy we can for sure use as a trigger man and know the ball is in good hands IMO. That would help.

I agree with the original poster. Throwing the ball into Ralph along the sidelines as he falls out of bounds is not an inbounds play, but I think I have seen it about 20 times this year. The few times they have run a decent inbounds plan and a player has broken open headed to the basket, the passer doesn't even see the open player.

I believe Coach Esposito actually wrote a book/manual on inbounds plays, which is hard to believe watching the Gophers inbound the ball this year. The overwhelming majority of Gophers inbounds plays involve either lobbing the ball to Ralph Sampson (if covered by smaller defender) 10-15 feet away from the basket or passing the ball to a wing who's basically pinned against the sideline on the catch.

If we are talking pressing situations after the opponents made basket, we always seem to be on the border of getting a 5 second call before throwing the ball in to a dangerous place on the court.

I agree overall... nice touchdown pass to Chip today to get a big bucket.

Top Bottom