'If I were Coach..'

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
Let us pretend that Tubby Smith were leaving along with Maturi, but effective immediately. A phone call comes and YOU have just been named the new Gopher Men's Basketball coach. What are your first several moves? Are the simple answers we've all dreamed up here in the forums (more minutes for Elliot and fewer for Ralph, a less restrictive halfcourt offense, more practice shooting freethrows, better sub patterns) enough to 'put us over the top'? If they really are, how can someone so established in the game be so out of touch? You would assume it would more likely that the *common fan was more likely to be ignorant. If Tubby is purportedly failing at recruiting, what is it that he's not doing while recruiting that can be done better? What would you do? I'm curious to read; maybe some of you with closer relationships to college hoops can enlighten me a little.

* I don't know that I'd actually consider people who spend their time in these forums to be 'common' fans. ;)

I would stop the 5 in 5 out subsititutions and mix subs in with starters.

I'd give Oto some minuts at the 3 early in the year to see how he does.

Keep up the same deffense emphasis.

I'd look for different methods to try and increase the aggression of the team as well.

Part of the problem with the team is that it seems, at times, that they are thinking too much and not just going out and playing hoops. (As soon as they do this the fans will gripe about bad shots and turnovers, but regardless...)

The team is significantly better at running the floor than anything we saw post-nolan last year, but after every rebound they need to be looking for an outlet. I would be screaming at this team on offense because they tend to stand around. I know they have been using the flex, but even so their screening has been horrendous (looking at you Ralph). Against the zone I would overload ball side and use the post player (EE is better at this) to occupy the center of the zone and be a one-touch passer to cutters or perimeter shooters.

Overall, as I said in my first sentence, the ball HAS to move faster. during the Iowa game it took a solid second and a half to get the ball out of the guard's hand on the perimeter. It was obvious that part of the scouting report was to get the ball inside, exposing the weak interior players of Iowa. The players (Coleman, often) locked their eyes into the post where Ralph was posted up and not open or to a cutter that didn't exist (because no one on the perimeter cuts as much as they should.

Also, we have been getting KILLED on the glass recently. As a part of your scheme you often pick who is going to rebound, outlet pass and be the outlet. We should simplify this aspect and keep the 4 and 5 in to rebound (depending on who is on the floor).

Personnel-wise Mav should only see the floor to allow someone else to catch their breath, not being able to dribble or make a layup with your left is inexcusable. I like the starters we have, but I would feed Ralph more in the high post to use his strengths (passing or that 15 foot jumper) and distribute to the slashing guards or Rodney.

Anyone else?

Part of the problem with the team is that it seems, at times, that they are thinking too much and not just going out and playing hoops. (As soon as they do this the fans will gripe about bad shots and turnovers, but regardless...)

The team is significantly better at running the floor than anything we saw post-nolan last year, but after every rebound they need to be looking for an outlet. I would be screaming at this team on offense because they tend to stand around. I know they have been using the flex, but even so their screening has been horrendous (looking at you Ralph). Against the zone I would overload ball side and use the post player (EE is better at this) to occupy the center of the zone and be a one-touch passer to cutters or perimeter shooters.

Overall, as I said in my first sentence, the ball HAS to move faster. during the Iowa game it took a solid second and a half to get the ball out of the guard's hand on the perimeter. It was obvious that part of the scouting report was to get the ball inside, exposing the weak interior players of Iowa. The players (Coleman, often) locked their eyes into the post where Ralph was posted up and not open or to a cutter that didn't exist (because no one on the perimeter cuts as much as they should.

Also, we have been getting KILLED on the glass recently. As a part of your scheme you often pick who is going to rebound, outlet pass and be the outlet. We should simplify this aspect and keep the 4 and 5 in to rebound (depending on who is on the floor).

Personnel-wise Mav should only see the floor to allow someone else to catch their breath, not being able to dribble or make a layup with your left is inexcusable. I like the starters we have, but I would feed Ralph more in the high post to use his strengths (passing or that 15 foot jumper) and distribute to the slashing guards or Rodney.

Anyone else?

Agree fully. +1

Top Bottom