In looking at Tubby's recruiting class next year ( so far)

Reaction score
Don't know if we will have an extra available because of the possibility of Trevor's 6th year application. Right now in regards to the B1G the class ranks about the middle of the pack. I remember the "Old Trapper" ( Bud Grant) saying that good players in most cases make the coaches
successful. I think that holds true. IMO if we had Trevor for the year we would be at 6-4, or maybe 7-3. While, like many of you. I do question some of Tubby's decision making losing Trevor and going with a pretty young squad has not made it easy for Tubby. Looking at next year based on what I've seen from the Wisconsin kid, it looks like Flowers will be the only one that will be getting floor time; unless of course we sign another in the late period. On the positive side we do get Mo back and I think he will give us the bulk we need to go up against the likes of MSU.

Looking at next year based on what I've seen from the Wisconsin kid, it looks like Flowers will be the only one that will be getting floor time; unless of course we sign another in the late period.

Are you referring to Charles Buggs here? It'd be sweet if we could get one of the 24987294 Flowers kids from Madison LaFollette, I guess.

Are you referring to Charles Buggs here? It'd be sweet if we could get one of the 24987294 Flowers kids from Madison LaFollette, I guess.

Haha, there were a lot of Flowers kids. I played against 2 or 3 of them back in the day through summer tournaments etc. Michael dunked on us in 7th grade.

Don't know if we will have an extra available because of the possibility of Trevor's 6th year application. Right now in regards to the B1G the class ranks about the middle of the pack. I remember the "Old Trapper" ( Bud Grant) saying that good players in most cases make the coaches
successful. I think that holds true. IMO if we had Trevor for the year we would be at 6-4, or maybe 7-3. While, like many of you. I do question some of Tubby's decision making losing Trevor and going with a pretty young squad has not made it easy for Tubby. Looking at next year based on what I've seen from the Wisconsin kid, it looks like Flowers will be the only one that will be getting floor time; unless of course we sign another in the late period. On the positive side we do get Mo back and I think he will give us the bulk we need to go up against the likes of MSU.
Always nice getting some insight. Great post! Sorry man, this is too funny.

We need to recruit the Crosslake area harder.

Rupert's credibility just keeps falling.

Just wondering what you've seen from the Wisconsin kid (Ellenson) that shows you he won't see the floor?

Next years team is going to be more dependant on the return of Mo and improvement of Andre Hollins, Osenieks, and Elliason than the new players. I expect the 2012 recruits to contribute and then really be an important part of the team in two years though.

Next years team is going to be more dependant on the return of Mo and improvement of Andre Hollins, Osenieks, and Elliason than the new players. I expect the 2012 recruits to contribute and then really be an important part of the team in two years though.

+1

I agree with FanSinceTheFifties. I'm kind of excited to see Ellenson in the maroon and gold from what I've seen on Youtube. Youtube has been so great for getting a better feel for what these kids are all about.... and what's better you can even find stuff and interviews that give you a glimpse into what the kid's personality is really like which just draws you in more. From what I've seen from Ellenson on Youtube it seems he is quite the athlete as he has had some significant success in track and field (high jump) as well as basketball. Quite honestly, he looks like the type of kid that Wisconsin definitely would have had interest in, but he's more athletic than their typical player... if you know what I mean. I've ranted on this already.... there's very little out there on Youtube to get stoked about Buggs (not saying he's not worth getting stoked about) but their seems to be much more on Ellenson. I'm excited about him.

Pretty much this. I dont expect much from Ellenson just because of the depth at the position with Coleman, Hollins, Chip. However if Tubby goes with 5 in 5 out I could see him getting minutes with the 2nd team. Same with Buggs, if Williams returns then he is already behind him and Oto. I would not be surprised to see 1 of the 2 to redshirt. I think both could use it.

Pretty much this. I dont expect much from Ellenson just because of the depth at the position with Coleman, Hollins, Chip. However if Tubby goes with 5 in 5 out I could see him getting minutes with the 2nd team. Same with Buggs, if Williams returns then he is already behind him and Oto. I would not be surprised to see 1 of the 2 to redshirt. I think both could use it.
I wouldn't be shocked to see Oto get some minutes at the 3 and Buggs at the 4.

I agree with FanSinceTheFifties. I'm kind of excited to see Ellenson in the maroon and gold from what I've seen on Youtube. Youtube has been so great for getting a better feel for what these kids are all about.... and what's better you can even find stuff and interviews that give you a glimpse into what the kid's personality is really like which just draws you in more. From what I've seen from Ellenson on Youtube it seems he is quite the athlete as he has had some significant success in track and field (high jump) as well as basketball. Quite honestly, he looks like the type of kid that Wisconsin definitely would have had interest in, but he's more athletic than their typical player... if you know what I mean. I've ranted on this already.... there's very little out there on Youtube to get stoked about Buggs (not saying he's not worth getting stoked about) but their seems to be much more on Ellenson. I'm excited about him.

Respectful disagreement on Buggs. I really like him. Very good mid-range jumper. If he stays at SF difficult match up because of his length, but I would project as PF. His coach says he has 3 point range, is a good defensive player, and low and behold an above average free throw shooter. In a perfect world I would redshirt to bulk up, but I really like both.

Ellenson reminds me of

Fred Hoiberg. 6'4" good shooting, athletic guards/wings. It might take Wally a year to blossom (it did for Freddy at ISUZU, too), but Tubby has more talent at the position than Johny Orr did, so he won't need much from Wally early on. I think he'll be solid.

At 6'8" 190lbs he drunks hard, can create , hit jumpers and 3's. And shoot free throws? Kid looks like a young Willie Burton to me. :clap:

Good comments. I couldn't think of anyone to compare him to. Read somewhere Tayshaun Prince. When Burton came on campus he already had a B1G body. Buggs has more length and may need time to bulk up.

Good comments. I couldn't think of anyone to compare him to. Read somewhere Tayshaun Prince. When Burton came on campus he already had a B1G body. Buggs has more length and may need time to bulk up.

I really thought i remembered Willie putting on 20 lbs after getting here, a steady 5 a year. Hard to say though as it's been quite some time and i certainly can't find any sort of video highlights or clips of him online.

I really thought i remembered Willie putting on 20 lbs after getting here, a steady 5 a year. Hard to say though as it's been quite some time and i certainly can't find any sort of video highlights or clips of him online.

I'm sure you're right. After 9 years I finally got seats on the lower level, so I got a good look. He didn't play real well as a frosh, but you could certainly see what was coming.

Charles is a late bloomer, but he has made tremendous strides since his senior HS varsity season. He struggled with inconsistency and injuries his senior year, which is why no one to speak of had offered him as of April.

Since April 2011 Charles has:

- played an entire summer of AAU on a successful team that will have 5 players on D1 roster next season. Charles and a kid named Nick Victor (committed to Yale with offers to Davidson and others) were the leaders on a very balanced team so he did not put up huge numbers, but Charles presence was key. By the end of July all the mid majors had offered, and Texas Tech and a few other high majors offered, while top programs were following.

- Charles' blew away the coaches in fall workouts (against the other top Hargrave players), and the offers poured in - Marquette, Arkansas, Miami-Fl, West Virginia, Seton Hall, Clemson, etc. It was clear that a very athletic player with a unique skill set had fallen through the cracks, for a variety of reasons.

- Charles signed with Minnesota, and has spent the fall and winter working hard to add weight and develop his game against the best competition in the country at that level.

With all that said - Charles is still raw in that he will probably need 2-3 more years to really be able to bang in the Big 10. I think this may be one reason he plays more limited minutes next season than some might hope.

I have not been able to watch hargrave, but from reports I hear that it is very hard to get a shot off on that team, and Charles is an incredibly unselfish player.

Minnesota fans will need to show some patience, but I think Buggs will be able to make great strides over time in a program such as Tubby's (think John Henson - steadily increasing his pts/rebs over his time in college...although I am not saying he will be that good of a player)

Charles is a late bloomer, but he has made tremendous strides since his senior HS varsity season. He struggled with inconsistency and injuries his senior year, which is why no one to speak of had offered him as of April.

- played an entire summer of AAU on a successful team that will have 5 players on D1 roster next season. Charles and a kid named Nick Victor (committed to Yale with offers to Davidson and others) were the leaders on a very balanced team so he did not put up huge numbers, but Charles presence was key. By the end of July all the mid majors had offered, and Texas Tech and a few other high majors offered, while top programs were following.

- Charles' blew away the coaches in fall workouts (against the other top Hargrave players), and the offers poured in - Marquette, Arkansas, Miami-Fl, West Virginia, Seton Hall, Clemson, etc. It was clear that a very athletic player with a unique skill set had fallen through the cracks, for a variety of reasons.

- Charles signed with Minnesota, and has spent the fall and winter working hard to add weight and develop his game against the best competition in the country at that level.

With all that said - Charles is still raw in that he will probably need 2-3 more years to really be able to bang in the Big 10. I think this may be one reason he plays more limited minutes next season than some might hope.

I have not been able to watch hargrave, but from reports I hear that it is very hard to get a shot off on that team, and Charles is an incredibly unselfish player.

Minnesota fans will need to show some patience, but I think Buggs will be able to make great strides over time in a program such as Tubby's (think John Henson - steadily increasing his pts/rebs over his time in college...although I am not saying he will be that good of a player)

I love Bugg's video ( Flowers...hee,hee) but he does need to get stronger. I think he will be a "Willie Burton" type player for the Gophers

I love Bugg's video ( Flowers...hee,hee) but he does need to get stronger. I think he will be a "Willie Burton" type player for the Gophers

Sounds more like Damien Johnson to me. Willie was a pretty high level recruit and while skinny was ready to play as a feshman. Sounds like Charles may not be ready as a frosh.

If he can shoot well, like it appears, he will see Minutes. He appears to have an incredible mid range game. He seems like more of a Quincy Lewis type to me...

I hope you fact-checked this with GW...

Top Bottom