I think we can stop all the tourney talk now!

gopherinpain

Banned
Reaction score
Not an NCAA tournament team. Swept by a team that will probably finish below .500 this year. Horrible coaching and decision-making down the stretch again. Cant wait for an NIT game at home against Davidson.

Not necessarily. I say necessarily because we still have a lot of home games, and could still add to the resume. But tonight was a killer, no doubt. We can't afford to lose to any teams starting with N or W, if we want to make that happen.

We're probably still in as of now. Be upset about losing to Iowa. Stop the sweeping proclamations.

howeda7 said:
We're probably still in as of now. Be upset about losing to Iowa. Stop the sweeping proclamations.

Exactly. Still can easily finish 9-9

Problem is now doesn't count. Won't win many games playing this poorly.

NOT IN no team has ever been in by winning 40% of conference wins THESCOUT!

Probably wouldn't have any wins if we played like we did tonight all conference season. We'll play better in at least some of the games down the stretch. The question is, how much better, and how many games.

Sorry. I see two-three more wins this year. Indiana at home because they are a bad road team, Nebraska at home and possibly Sun. or at NW.

outscored 9-0 to end the game. That's called choke.

Hate to bring it up but this would be 2 Big Ten losses in a row if not for a horrible foul call in the last game.
The team had a couple of good wins that started at Indiana and continued into the next game but appears
to be fizzling now and settling back into it's old self.

I ask again to please note that when the Gophers were looking good and playing good starting with the IU win
they were less tight on offense and more in a "get up and down the floor and score mode"
Look at the score of the games they won. In the 70's
Now that Tubby has got his slow down, grind it out offense back in place the wins are getting harder.

What took you so long Nug? Game ended 30 minutes ago!

NOT IN no team has ever been in by winning 40% of conference wins THESCOUT!

Scout, I understand the point you are trying to make, but that is factually incorrect. In 1997-98, Florida State finished 6-10 in the ACC (37.5%) in the ACC but still received an at-large bid. They even won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

That's probably the only one. Under 50%, quite a few, but can't recall any others under 40%.

I do agree the Gophers aren't going anywhere (NCAA) unless they get to 9-9, and that seems unlikely at this point given our remaining schedule and propensity for tight games. Even if we split all these close games (except for OSU, they'll kill us), that's going to leave the Gophers short, barring a miracle run in Indy, which should never be counted on.

The best or above-average teams get their (NCAA) work done prior to their conference tournaments. Gophers need to "hop to it" in Lincoln on Sunday, then find a way to beat 2 or 3 teams at home that are equal to or better than them (Bucky, Buckeyes, Sparty, IU).

Scout, I understand the point you are trying to make, but that is factually incorrect. In 1997-98, Florida State finished 6-10 in the ACC (37.5%) in the ACC but still received an at-large bid. They even won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

That's probably the only one. Under 50%, quite a few, but can't recall any others under 40%.

I do agree the Gophers aren't going anywhere (NCAA) unless they get to 9-9, and that seems unlikely at this point given our remaining schedule and propensity for tight games. Even if we split all these close games (except for OSU, they'll kill us), that's going to leave the Gophers short, barring a miracle run in Indy, which should never be counted on.

The best or above-average teams get their (NCAA) work done prior to their conference tournaments. Gophers need to "hop to it" in Lincoln on Sunday, then find a way to beat 2 or 3 teams at home that are equal to or better than them (Bucky, Buckeyes, Sparty, IU).

Easiest way to 9-9:

Win at Nebraska
Win at Northwestern
Beat Indiana at home
Beat Nebraska at home
Beat Wisconsin at home

Lose at Wisconsin
Lose to MSU at home
Lose to OSU at home

9-9

Easiest way to 9-9:

Win at Nebraska
Win at Northwestern
Beat Indiana at home
Beat Nebraska at home
Beat Wisconsin at home

Lose at Wisconsin
Lose to MSU at home
Lose to OSU at home

9-9

Agree, but traditionally how often does the Gopher program do anything the easy way? We have the darndest time producing even an 11-7 or 10-8-type season that typically allows for a stress-free Selection Sunday.

Since Monson's squad made the NCAA tourney in 2004-05 with a 10-6 regular-season mark, the Gophers, Northwestern and Michigan are the only B1G programs (excluding 1st-year member Nebraska) who have failed to finish above .500 in the B1G (regular season), and Michigan appears well on its way to leaving that list. It's frustrating when it's a grind seemingly every single year just to remain in the NCAA conversation. For once I'd like to hit mid-February knowing (not hoping) that the Gophers will make the NCAA.

The (NCAA) ship hasn't sailed on this season, but last night makes things a ton more difficult. I'm thinking my 7-11 prediction for the Gophers (post Mbakwe injury) is looking a lot more realistic than getting to 9-9. Hope I'm in error in that belief.

7-11 is by far more realistc than 9-9. the losses at home to comparable teams Iowa and Purdue are the ones where home court needed to be protected

Agree, but traditionally how often does the Gopher program do anything the easy way?

Preach. Every game's going to be a nail-biter (in the sense that a win or loss wouldn't be surprising). It's tough to figure out what kind of team the Gophers are when it comes to closing out games. You've got the team that falters down the stretch @Illinois, @Iowa, and @Michigan vs. the team that looks solid at the end of games like vs. Va Tech, @Indiana, and vs. Illinois. Ah, youth.

With our home games coming up, here's to hoping that there's a correlation.

I think I'm in the minority but if the Gophers somehow end up just missing the tournament, I think it's the Purdue loss that will end up killing us, moreso than either of the Iowa losses. Purdue would've been another decent win (top-50ish) vs. a fellow NCAA hopeful. That's a huge win for Purdue right now if we both end up on the bubble.

Not an NCAA tournament team. Swept by a team that will probably finish below .500 this year. Horrible coaching and decision-making down the stretch again. Cant wait for an NIT game at home against Davidson.

Might you be counting chickens before they hatch? Very real possibility this team ends up 6 games
below .500 in conference. Does that guarantee an NIT bid? It certainly wouldn't get a home game I wouldn't think.

Easily finfish 9-9? 7-9 would be an ABSOLUTE best, and looks like a pipedream.

Have to go 5-3 with home games against OSU and MSU, Home/Away with Wisconsin, off hand that probably takes care of the three loses.

Have to go 4-0 with the rest, possible, not probable with the way things are going.

I think I'm in the minority but if the Gophers somehow end up just missing the tournament, I think it's the Purdue loss that will end up killing us, moreso than either of the Iowa losses. Purdue would've been another decent win (top-50ish) vs. a fellow NCAA hopeful. That's a huge win for Purdue right now if we both end up on the bubble.

If the Purdue game would have been close, then I would agree with you. I think either one of the Iowa games hurt more because in both we were in position to win, and didn't. Against Purdue, we were never in the game.

S.S. counting conference tourney Florida St was 6-11 vs ACC teams. Do you know the RPI they had when selected? Thanks

If the Purdue game would have been close, then I would agree with you. I think either one of the Iowa games hurt more because in both we were in position to win, and didn't. Against Purdue, we were never in the game.

Fair point. I'm just looking at in terms of a win or a loss, not the margin of defeat(s). Safe to say if the Gophers end up falling just shy of the NCAA, there will be several games we can point to, but that's true of all teams that end up on the outside looking in.

S.S. counting conference tourney Florida St was 6-11 vs ACC teams. Do you know the RPI they had when selected? Thanks

No problem, Scout. FSU ended up #39 in the RPI.

For what it's worth, Gophers after last night's punch in the gut are #51.

"Now that Tubby has got his slow down, grind it out offense back in place the wins are getting harder." What makes the offense look slow-down, grind-it-out is the timid and sluggish passing. If you watched the MI v IN game on before the MN v IA game, you saw two teams that zip the ball. Watch how many shots those teams and IA take without a preceding dribble versus Minnesota's shoot-off-the-dribble fascination. The Gophers pass fairly well occasionally -- seems like more so when the second five is on the floor -- but too often they stand around until late in the shot clock then are forced into some playground move to get off a shot.

"Now that Tubby has got his slow down, grind it out offense back in place the wins are getting harder." What makes the offense look slow-down, grind-it-out is the timid and sluggish passing. If you watched the MI v IN game on before the MN v IA game, you saw two teams that zip the ball. Watch how many shots those teams and IA take without a preceding dribble versus Minnesota's shoot-off-the-dribble fascination. The Gophers pass fairly well occasionally -- seems like more so when the second five is on the floor -- but too often they stand around until late in the shot clock then are forced into some playground move to get off a shot.

Almost never imo. We have been a very careless passing team the last two seasons. Add to it that most of our guys have bad hands and we have some really bad stretches where we barely get shots off.

Top Bottom