Losers ,Tubby has to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't even wait for the end of the season! Flip is available! Fire him tomorrow at a hastily called news conference! If Flip says no, we can have full confidence in our AD to make a 'Kill-shot'.

Now been upset 4 times in conference games and have pulled just 1 upset ourselves...but Tubby is doing a "great" job.

Upset four times in conference games? Iowa, Iowa, Purdue, and ...

We're a lower-middle class B1G team without Mbakwe out there. Thing is, with the B1G getting probably eight teams into the dance, the best lower-middle class B1G team has a shot.

Do they start the premium seating for the home NIT games? Technically it is after the season.

We're a lower-middle class team without Mbakwe out there.

My bad, 3 times in conference play, 4 times total (Dayton) and still only 1 upset total (at Indiana).

We're a lower-middle class B1G team without Mbakwe out there. Thing is, with the B1G getting probably eight teams into the dance, the best lower-middle class B1G team has a shot.

I would agree that the Mbakwe loss is devastating.

I also think that if Tubby were getting better players then the loss of Trevor would not have such a negative impact.
How many of the other players on the squad were recruited by schools such as N. Carolina, Duke, UCONN and the like?

The fact is Tubby either will not or can not get the players that are going to take Minn. to the top of the Big Ten
or make them a NCAA Sweet 16 level of team.

If he could get those players I would think that by his 5th year they would be on the floor and Minn would not
be in a position of "hoping to make the Tourn"

It's definitely a fair discussion to have in year 5.

Things would probably be different if Trevor weren't hurt, if Royce didn't break his brain for a few years, if Nolen hadn't been hurt half of last year, if, if, if. Certainly teams with more depth can withstand losses better. Certainly we all wish we had a team like Carolina. Tubby deserves to shoulder his fair share of blame for the failures.

That said, I'm not ready to place it all on one man - I think there are institutional concerns that plague the entire athletic department. For a team with limited recent history as ours, it's going to be an uphill climb to get to where we all want to be, and it's going to take (a lot of) work to get there, from a lot of parties.

It's fair to be frustrated and want things to be better. It's silly to assume that the solution will be found in firing Tubby.

Mbakwe, Royce White, Devoe Joseph in the starting lineup would make Tubby a much better coach this year.
Bad luck on Mbakwe, Maturi 100% to blame fo White being at Iowa State and Joseph had issues. Non of them not playing for the Gophers is Tubby's fault.
With them starting this year we would be fighting for a BIG title. JMO
That said we should not lose twice to Iowa even with the current roster.

It's definitely a fair discussion to have in year 5.

Things would probably be different if Trevor weren't hurt, if Royce didn't break his brain for a few years, if Nolen hadn't been hurt half of last year, if, if, if. Certainly teams with more depth can withstand losses better. Certainly we all wish we had a team like Carolina. Tubby deserves to shoulder his fair share of blame for the failures.

That said, I'm not ready to place it all on one man - I think there are institutional concerns that plague the entire athletic department. For a team with limited recent history as ours, it's going to be an uphill climb to get to where we all want to be, and it's going to take (a lot of) work to get there, from a lot of parties.

I agree with everything in this post 100%. Unfortunately on a night like tonight (which are becoming too often again) it's not helping the urge to call for rash decisions go away. So while I agree...I'm not happy about it.:mad:

tubby is a good coach and i respect him but there were times tonight i didnt understand what we were doing. when there was about 2 min left we were playing to not lose, which is fine if we had a guy that could create his own shot. but we dont. i just dont get why we didnt stay aggressive and try to score early in the shot clock and hit the offensive glass. continue with the "sky is falling" and the "fire tubby"

go gophers

howeda7 said:
Don't even wait for the end of the season! Flip is available! Fire him tomorrow at a hastily called news conference! If Flip says no, we can have full confidence in our AD to make a 'Kill-shot'.
You have no clue.

Mbakwe, Royce White, Devoe Joseph in the starting lineup would make Tubby a much better coach this year.
Bad luck on Mbakwe, Maturi 100% to blame fo White being at Iowa State and Joseph had issues. Non of them not playing for the Gophers is Tubby's fault.
With them starting this year we would be fighting for a BIG title. JMO
That said we should not lose twice to Iowa even with the current roster.

When you recruit players, you recruit men not just basketball players. That includes their personalities and how they fit into team chemistry. Royce White was a headcase coming out of high school, and Tubby we be getting all of the credit if he had managed to get Royce to walk the straight and narrow here, so he also deserves at least a portion of the blame for putting that kind of parasite in our program (though it is fair to say that Maturi deserves some of the blame for how it was handled). With Devoe, Tubby interviewed him and coached him until he left. No one knows exactly what happened, but its Tubby's job to manage that relationship. When players depart as frequently as they have here, either the coach is picking bad eggs or poorly managing them once they are here. As for Trevor, injuries are unfortunate but they happen in sports, and if you are going to empty the cupboard then don't be surprised when there's nothing in it.

Year 5 and the rubes are defending Tubby. Why? Because in year 5 we could be a bubble team if all goes well. Heck, we might have broken .500 with TM in our lineup. Get rid of Tubby? No, who would we get? Tubby is such a good coach we should be lucky he has elevated the program to this level. I, for one, feel so fortunate that my team is doing so well. I knew Tubby could do it. The 10 year plan is working.

IT'S TUBBY TIME!

Also... Will the name of this forum soon be changed in an ironic reference to "Gopher Basketball National Titles" like the other one did?

I kid, I kid.

Still not excited to play at the Barn when the Gophers and Badgers meet there in a few weeks. That place actually has been a house of horrors for us since old Tubster replaced our boy Monson. Would be happy to see Tubby go as well.

I would agree that the Mbakwe loss is devastating.

I also think that if Tubby were getting better players then the loss of Trevor would not have such a negative impact.
How many of the other players on the squad were recruited by schools such as N. Carolina, Duke, UCONN and the like?

The fact is Tubby either will not or can not get the players that are going to take Minn. to the top of the Big Ten
or make them a NCAA Sweet 16 level of team.

If he could get those players I would think that by his 5th year they would be on the floor and Minn would not
be in a position of "hoping to make the Tourn"

We're all frustrated and ticked off right now, but that's one of the dumbest things I've read on here for awhile. Let me put it this way, no matter who are coach is we will never be beating those schools for recruits. That doesn't mean we can't be a great program, but saying we have to be beating those schools for players is just not accurate.

The two best programs in the Big Ten are Ohio St. and Michigan St. According to Rivals, they've signed a combined 19 players the past three years (including the 2012 class). Of the 19, only two were recruited by any of the three schools you mentioned.

Yeah, we're way over reacting. Let's wait until the end of the season and see who transfers away......anyone getting more headlines than the coach is likely......and then comes the highly anticipated arrival of Charles Buggs, the one that doesn't even start for his prep school team. It's been 5 years.
You show 'em Tubby!

This year is really turning out as was expected, they would probably be a bubble team that has a chance to get in the NCAA. They are on the outside looking in now but they aren't performing much worse than expected. They certainly aren't over performing either. I think next year is going to tell a little more about the program. If they struggle next year and are in danger of not getting in the NCAA then i question Tubby's ability to succeed at Minnesota.

The competition is going to get tougher, some of the marginal teams have really been recruiting better the last couple of years, Iowa, Indiana, and Michigan, and the strong teams haven't dropped off much.

I'm not calling for Tubby's head

but I gotta tell you that I no longer hold his coaching prowess in high regard like I did when he first arrived. His performance has been Monsonesque, with little more to show the fans that any of the mediocre coaches we've suffered through. He arrived in town touted as a program changer. At this point I think everyone would admit that he's not so much. I'll continue to cheer for the team but it's pretty hard to get caught up in any unreasonable or irrational hope for success as the team still has the same feel as the Monson years (just enough success to serve as a tease, but plenty of heartbreak in the end). I look back over the team's historical records and it's shocking how consistently mediocre we've been. Other than a couple conference championships and a couple of voided successful seasons, we've been very middle of the pack. A good year would be a top 4 or 5 finish. We just don't demand elite performance. We settle for adequate. That's what this year's team is: adequate.
Sigh.

It's fair to be frustrated and want things to be better. It's silly to assume that the solution will be found in firing Tubby.

A solution still mayn not come out of firing Tubby. It absolutely CANNOT come
from keeping him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom