Ralph Sampson II discusses RS3, Tubby's sub-patterns, players transferring, etc.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Sampson Told Son to Stay with Gophers
February 01, 2012 - (0) comments

Ralph Sampson III is in the final months of his college basketball career but the Gophers 6-11 senior center appears no closer to fulfilling his potential now than when he was a freshman.

A gifted athlete and the son of former college Player of the Year Ralph Sampson II, the younger Sampson has compiled similar stats and performed inconsistently this season as in the past. Tonight the Gophers play at Iowa—halfway through their Big Ten regular season schedule—and Minnesota fans wonder what contributions Sampson will make to a Minnesota team (4-5 in conference games, 16-6 overall) that could qualify for the NCAA tournament with a strong finish in February and March.

Last Saturday night, with his dad in town to watch him, Sampson played only 20 minutes before fouling out in Minnesota’s game against Illinois at Williams Arena. He had three rebounds and five points while making two of eight shots.

That performance contrasted with Minnesota’s game at Illinois in late December when the Duluth, Georgia native scored 22 points and had nine rebounds in 35 minutes on the floor.

During Sampson’s first three seasons he shared playing time with center Colton Iverson and with Iverson having transferred after his junior season last spring it was expected that Sampson’s minutes and contributions would increase. But he’s averaging 22.9 minutes per game, the fewest since his freshman season. His scoring average of 8.2 points and rebounds of 4.8 per game this season are almost identical to career stats of 8.2 and 5.1.

Sampson’s lack of aggressiveness has limited his success and frustrated fans who often target him for criticism. His dad was asked if Sampson can play more assertively for coach Tubby Smith.

“I know he is (capable),” Ralph II said. “I’ve worked with the kid for all my life. It’s just how do you do that? How do you do that with the system and don’t break the system? Tubby has that system where five guys play five minutes, and five guys play the next five minutes. That’s a little different. …”

Sampson’s dad, who at 7-4 was a four-time All-American at Virginia, said ample minutes on the floor allow big body players to have a feel for the game, becoming more comfortable with themselves, teammates and opponents. What’s evident, though, is the younger Sampson isn’t earning a lot of extra minutes in the Smith system and he doesn’t look like a player enjoying his time on the floor.

Does fan criticism bother the Gophers center? Ralph II said fans should consider that unlike Iverson and guard Devoe Joseph, his son didn’t transfer from Minnesota. Ralph III is the only player remaining from his freshman class at Minnesota. “…You didn’t transfer like everybody else did and you stuck it out,” Ralph II said. “I think they should appreciate that.”

Sampson said his son thought about transferring from Minnesota to another school. “Every year, like everybody else,” Ralph II said. “First year to this year. I wouldn’t let him leave. We started it, we’re gonna finish it.”

The Gophers’ team potential the last two seasons has lessened because of several players leaving the program. The departed include forward Royce White who has become an All-American candidate at Iowa State in his first season. Joseph is Oregon’s leading scorer at 15.4 points.

“The question is why did they leave?” Ralph II asked. “What was going on that made them leave and wanted to leave? I am not going to get into a lot of details with it because I don’t know the internal things about it. …”

What the older Sampson knows is he believes in his son’s potential to become a better player. He acknowledges, too, that Ralph III is a young man of character who has never given his father problems. “He’s a great kid,” Ralph II said. “He’s the best in the world. The sky’s the limit if he wants to work at it.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Pretty good article. I do agree many fans on this board are much too critical of Ralph, he has his bad games and his good games like everybody else, but as his dad said, he has been a model citizen at the U and has stuck it out all four years and that does deserve appreciation.

That said, if he is capable of being more aggressive he needs to just do it. You are already only playing 20 minutes a game, what do you have to lose? Get after it. It's not like Tubby plays 10 guys 20 minutes a game. Trevor was getting about 35 a game. Ralph can get those minutes too if he goes out and earns them. Just be aggressive. Coaches get mad at players all of the time, you can't let it bother you. Learn what you can from their comments, but at the end of the day, you've gotta just play the game. Chip, Coleman, Rodney, Welch all play aggressive. No reason Ralph can't too.

During the Illinois game, I actually saw Ralph create a shot. Granted he missed it, I'd like to see him do that more often. He's got such great touch and size that it doesn't make sense not too. Gotta stop thinking and just play the game. Coach K is tough on players, Coach Cal is, Frank Martin is, Heck, Bill Belichek is, that is not exclusive to Tubby.

I understand what II is saying about getting a feel for the game and Tubby's line changes in the 1st half of games, but that's a separate issue IMO, to the fact that there are just flat out games where the kid comes out disengaged, turning the ball over, etc. I actually can appreciate what Good Ralph brings to the table, but as a senior, I was just hoping he'd bring a little more in terms of leadership to the table.

I think one of the things with Tubby's first class is it seemed that guys thought they were going to walk in and kind of "take over" in some ways. I'm not trying to say they were trouble or anything like that. But just seems to me, that I think there was a different expectation for what was going to take place when they got here, than what actually happened, and it just didn't click at all.

I'm glad to hear Ralph II sticking up for his son. He should. There are a lot of us, and I include myself in that group, who get frustrated with Ralph III and want more from him, but that doesn't make it right for people to spew the venom I've heard directed toward him at Williams Arena the last few Gopher games.

Now, more than ever, Williams Arena fans need to spend their energy trying to help Ralph, not ridicule or boo him. Watching him walk into the tunnel after the Illinois game (went down there so my nephews could slap hands with the Gopher players), he's clearly down, and that was after the Gophers' most exciting win of the season. Seeing the look on his face put it into perspective for me.

Let's do what we can to help him finish his career on a strong note. Ralph II makes a great point. ... his son has stuck with Tubby and the Gophers through everything else that has gone on, and by all acounts he's been a model student and citizen, not to mention a solid 4-year contributor. No kid deserves the derision Ralph has received, especially one that didn't lose a semester due to academics, hasn't lost a season due to a pending legal case, didn't get suspended multiple times (for allegedly smoking weed), hasn't thrown a mall cop to the ground after shoplifting, etc.

I don't expect the derision to stop here (that's the nature of chat boards), but for fans that go to the games it's time to back off & support Ralph. He's earned it. And while we're here, give the kid a rousing standing O on Senior Night. He deserves that, too.

I like what he's been *trying* to do lately...some of these sudden spurt moves. They don't always work, but when they do you're like "Whoa!"

brucekaupa said:
I like what he's been *trying* to do lately...some of these sudden spurt moves. They don't always work, but when they do you're like "Whoa!"

Agreed. He's been making a few more aggressive plays and it is very good to see.

Indeed. Hope he continues to work on that, we're gonna need Good Ralph down the stretch of this schedule if we're gonna make the tournament.

Time to stop talking about "potential" with Ralph. He is half way through his senior season. If he could be better he would be by now. It does not do him or ourselves any favors wishing he would be something he is not. Give the kid a break. He is what he is, not what we wish he would become or what we assume his genetics would allow him to be.

I think the venom directed at RS3 is really embarrassing. I get being frustrated by a player with his potential, but the students cheering when he fouled out...low class.

It's worse than what Kevin Burleson faced during his senior year.

I disagree with with Ralph II's analysis of Tubby's scheme. Often times, as seen in the Illinois game, Tubby will resort to the "hot hand." The reason why Andre Hollins saw an uptick in minutes on Saturday is because he was performing on the court. The same can be said about Chip Armelin. The point is that Ralph would have a lot more minutes if he played well--or even just played aggressive. Ralph II saying that big men need minutes to get a good feel for the game is true; it's true for all B1G players. But Ralph.. You've had three years to get a good "feel" for the game. Furthermore, it looks like Elliason has a good "feel" for the game as a freshman. Elliason is more productive right now; the block that he had on Meyers Leonard is something that Ralph simply can't and won't do. Also, I don't think that Ralph should be praised for staying four years because we all know that Ralph allegedly was eyeing down the NBA draft last year. If there was any interest from any NBA team (it makes me laugh just thinking about the fact of Ralph being in the NBA), Ralph would've jumped ship just as fast as Cobbs, White, Devoe, etc...

I think the venom directed at RS3 is really embarrassing. I get being frustrated by a player with his potential, but the students cheering when he fouled out...low class.

It's worse than what Kevin Burleson faced during his senior year.

They realized the gophers had a much better chance of winning with Ralph on the bench.

Since the big ten has started, the starters have been given many more minutes to start. Usually they play till the 12 or 13 minute mark. In the non conference season, yeah they were taken out after 5 minutes. Ralph wasn't taken out at MSU until around the 12 minute mark. He should have been pulled much earlier as he single handedly tried to lose the game with his brutal play. Gus even said that Ralph needs to be taken out as he was killing the gophers.

I'm glad to hear Ralph II sticking up for his son. He should. There are a lot of us, and I include myself in that group, who get frustrated with Ralph III and want more from him, but that doesn't make it right for people to spew the venom I've heard directed toward him at Williams Arena the last few Gopher games.

Now, more than ever, Williams Arena fans need to spend their energy trying to help Ralph, not ridicule or boo him. Watching him walk into the tunnel after the Illinois game (went down there so my nephews could slap hands with the Gopher players), he's clearly down, and that was after the Gophers' most exciting win of the season. Seeing the look on his face put it into perspective for me.

Let's do what we can to help him finish his career on a strong note. Ralph II makes a great point. ... his son has stuck with Tubby and the Gophers through everything else that has gone on, and by all acounts he's been a model student and citizen, not to mention a solid 4-year contributor. No kid deserves the derision Ralph has received, especially one that didn't lose a semester due to academics, hasn't lost a season due to a pending legal case, didn't get suspended multiple times (for allegedly smoking weed), hasn't thrown a mall cop to the ground after shoplifting, etc.

I don't expect the derision to stop here (that's the nature of chat boards), but for fans that go to the games it's time to back off & support Ralph. He's earned it. And while we're here, give the kid a rousing standing O on Senior Night. He deserves that, too.

Nicely put!

I feel bad for Ralphy. He can't shake that mopey demeanor win/lose up/down turnover/bucket. I remember him once banging his chest ala Mbakwe after a put back but he just looked sad. He was a perfect role player until Trevor went down. Asked to fill his shoes and be the banger? - No way.

Do I feel bad for Ralph? Absolutely. He came out with a ton of expectations, and it doesn't appear he loves playing basketball very much right now. And I don't think he'll ever realize his dreams of being an NBA player. However, that's the game. You get a big-time athletic scholarship, and you take the lumps. Most of the people are not upset with Ralph because of a lack of performance, but because of a perceived lack of focus and drive. Sure, he is what he is, but there are few things more frustrating than continually seeing a guy get pushed around under the bucket.

And don't forget, Colt outplayed Ralph at times the last few years, but Tubby has stuck with Ralph. Now, I don't wish the guy ill. He stayed four years, he was a good kid, he worked hard, by all accounts. I hope he has a long and prosperous career in basketball, and I hope the Gophs send him out a winner this year.

I have no time for the people who left our program, and conversely, I'll always remember Ralph as a loyal soldier, who just didn't have what it took to get over the top. In a way, he's very similar to Dan Coleman. Ultimately frustrating, but if I see him at Pulley or anywhere else, I'll cheer for him, and support him where needed.

So, I can understand the frustration, but I think Ralph's mostly brought it on himself, and I don't really think people have been unduly harsh. And ultimately, Ralph still has time to salvage things. If he turns it on down the stretch, and leads us to an NCAA victory or two, he'll be remembered very fondly, something Colton, and Devoe, and Cobbs, and all the rest won't experience.

Scottie Pippen once said LeBron James is better than Michael Jordan. Not everything that comes out of stud former basketball players should be taken as gospel. Disagreeing with RSII's take on Tubby's scheme is not that ridiculous. Tubby's got a national championship and countless other accomplishments on his resume as well, so what makes RSII more valid than Tubby?

The students clapping when Ralph fouled out had more to do with seeing EE (a student favorite) getting into the game than Ralph leaving the game for good.

RS3 has alot of skills. He's hard to motivate but he has all the skills to succeed at the NBA level. Not that he would dominate at the next level but He can shoot out to 3 point range, he's 6'11. He can shoot the hook shot with either hand and he has size you can't coach. He's also a pretty decent passer.

He has to be tougher and stronger but it's certainly possible. He just seems to shy away from contact. Lastly, he's the son of a college basketball, nba legend, which puts a tremendous amount of pressure on him but make no mistake, when this kid plays with a chip on his shoulder, he's as good as anyone in the NCAA. He just doesn't do it consistently. It's frustrating to watch, he reminds me of Randolph Morriss at UK. I have hope that he could be the one player that helps this team make the NCAA tournament. He has the size, ability and skills, let's see if he has the will. I think he's going to step up for you guys down the stretch!

Something is/was seriously wrong if almost ever player thinks about leaving ea. year

Sampson said his son thought about transferring from Minnesota to another school. “Every year, like everybody else,” Ralph II said. “First year to this year. I wouldn’t let him leave.

Something is/was seriously wrong if almost ever player thinks about leaving ea. year

My thoughts too.

I have a feeling not every player considers leaving every year

Tubby substitutes like it's a 7th grade traveling basketball team.

I think it's alarming that Ralph had considered transferring from Minnesota. I believe most observant Gopher fans have noticed that Tubby's been more willing to stick with Ralph through his mistakes than he has been with other players (most notably Colton Iverson). If seems like there had (hopefully past tense) been an issue with the Gophers staff relating to Gopher players.

By the way - who told Ralph to test his NBA positioning at the end of last year?

I know it's a small point in the grand scheme of things, but for the record it's Ralph Jr. and Ralph III, not Ralph II and Ralph III.

rrjack III ;)

Top Bottom