Will always be partial to Big Ten basketball. ...

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
but last night was not a good night for my favorite conference. Badgers vs. Penn State over on BTN? Yucky poo. Sparty vs. Illinois on ESPN? Barf. Hard to believe, but that game was even worse. Was Dick Bennett coaching all 4 teams? A total of 181 points scored by the 4 teams in 80 minutes.

There are nights when I resent some of the smart-a*s and/or bad-mouthing the B1G gets from some of ESPN"s talking heads (horse's a*s Bobby Knight and studio hosts Karl Ravech & Ryan Burr come to mind), but anything the B1G got last night was well deserved. For a while I thought the Badgers and Nitts were going to match their 36-33 classic in last year's BTT.

Ravech

but last night was not a good night for my favorite conference. Badgers vs. Penn State over on BTN? Yucky poo. Sparty vs. Illinois on ESPN? Barf. Hard to believe, but that game was even worse. Was Dick Bennett coaching all 4 teams? A total of 181 points scored by the 4 teams in 80 minutes.

There are nights when I resent some of the smart-a*s and/or bad-mouthing the B1G gets from some of ESPN"s talking heads (horse's a*s Bobby Knight and studio hosts Karl Ravech & Ryan Burr come to mind), but anything the B1G got last night was well deserved. For a while I thought the Badgers and Nitts were going to match their 36-33 classic in last year's BTT.

I thought it was pretty funny when Karl Ravech gave a bronx cheer when the Badgers crossed the 50 pt threshold during halftime of the Arkansas/Vandy game, "At least ONE of the four Big 10 teams in action was able to reach 50!".

"Players thought the ball had too much air in it"

Ha ha ha

I thought it was pretty funny when Karl Ravech gave a bronx cheer when the Badgers crossed the 50 pt threshold during halftime of the Arkansas/Vandy game, "At least ONE of the four Big 10 teams in action was able to reach 50!".

I was able to laugh at that one, too.

Funny....the 2 "best" football teams from the SEC play 8 quarters this season and only 1 TD was scored.....but that's OK because of the great defense....

Two B1G b-ball teams slug it out and score 83 combined points and it's considered terrible and unwatchable.....

Maybe it's just me, but winning 42-41 counts the same as winning 100-99.

Screw the talking heads.

Funny....the 2 "best" football teams from the SEC play 8 quarters this season and only 1 TD was scored.....but that's OK because of the great defense....

Two B1G b-ball teams slug it out and score 83 combined points and it's considered terrible and unwatchable.....
This is the first time I have ever agreed with you.

Art Vandelay said:

+1,000

I watched all of MSU - Ill and then switched to Wisky - PSU. They could not shoot. Missed layups right and left. Not good defense, terrible offense.

Good point. Big-time double standard right there.

'Bama/LSU

I have actually heard overwhelmingly both Alabama/LSU matchups described as snoozefests most media outlets. So was MSU/Illini hoops.

Have to face reality, this season, and ESPECIALLY the last two, the conference has been riding on historical reputation. It was wretched 2 years ago, if not for OSU would have been abysmal last year, and has only rebounded slightly this year. thank goodness for those guys in the media that are beiong complained about, that INFLATED the conference resume to keep more NCAA bids than were warranted.

OSU looks to be solid for years, and Crean finally has IU headed back in the right direction. But Purdue and MSU look like the they may be fading, Ill. can't seem to put its act together, and newcomer Nebraska shouldn't be expected to make much of a basketball contribution ever. And denials aside the Gophers aren't going anywhere any time soon. So it's not a good outlook for the B10 right now. And complacency at a couple of prgograms, and acceptin low expectations at others seem to be the culprit.

I have actually heard overwhelmingly both Alabama/LSU matchups described as snoozefests most media outlets. So was MSU/Illini hoops.

There's a difference between being boring and bad. Alabama/LSU was boring I'll grant, but they
were GREAT defences, causing poor offensive output by what were clearly the 2 best teams in the country. B10 basketball is becoming boring because of inept offenses, NOT because of fantastic defenses.

Why are so many Kentucky fans on this board?

. ... MSU looks like the they may be fading.

I didn't take the time to read the rest of your usual drivel, but I did notice the above statement. I must ask, what are you smoking? Have you seen Izzo's 2012 recruiting class, not to mention he'll have plenty of talent (minus Draymond Green) coming back next season?

I didn't take the time to read the rest of your usual drivel, but I did notice the above statement. I must ask, what are you smoking? Have you seen Izzo's 2012 recruiting class, not to mention he'll have plenty of talent (minus Draymond Green) coming back next season?

Yeah....if MSU is fading, all programs would strive to be able to "fade" like that lol

There's a difference between being boring and bad. Alabama/LSU was boring I'll grant, but they
were GREAT defences, causing poor offensive output by what were clearly the 2 best teams in the country. B10 basketball is becoming boring because of inept offenses, NOT because of fantastic defenses.

Great insight as always. Please continue to provide us with your tremendous knowledge of the game. Your blanket statements with nothing to back them up with always convince me that you know what you're talking about.

Great insight as always. Please continue to provide us with your tremendous knowledge of the game. Your blanket statements with nothing to back them up with always convince me that you know what you're talking about.
He's a Kentucky fan. That clearly means he knows more about basketball than any of us will ever know.

Top Bottom