Where's the pressure?

Die Hard GGF

Reaction score
Pressure defense................ there's no pressure defense in Gopher basketball! Was that a Tubby or Tom Hanks quote? With all the length and athleticism on our team where has the pressure gone?

Pressure defense................ there's no pressure defense in Gopher basketball! Was that a Tubby or Tom Hanks quote? With all the length and athleticism on our team where has the pressure gone?
Tubby likes having big guys out there but doesn't think they are athletic enough to press. The one time we pressed it was Rodney at the 5 and 4 guards.

Haven't needed it too much lately. It is there, when needed like in the second half against Illinois.

I used to wonder why Tubby did not do more full court pressing given the success they had during the nonconference schedule a few years ago. Then I watched Bobby Knight doing color commentary on a Gopher Big Ten game when the same question came up. Bobby said the full court press is only really effective against lower quality teams. The good teams will pass over the press and get easy baskets. Then Bobby started talking about the shot fake. We have bothered B1G teams with the press (victory at the Kohl). Hard to do for a long period as the players tire and the traps are not effective.

Tubby likes having big guys out there but doesn't think they are athletic enough to press. The one time we pressed it was Rodney at the 5 and 4 guards.

I think Armelin got worked over another time they pressed.

"Our plan this season is to get back to playing pressure defense..."

- Tubby Smith in "A Letter From Coach Smith" (to season ticket holders)

Sometimes plans change?

Seems to me every time they press, they get beat deep, I'm pretty sure that's why they don't use it a lot. Maybe once the guards all get a little more experience with it, they'll do better, but results have been rather mixed when they try it.

Pressure defense doesn't necessarily mean a full court press. We played primarily zone last year after the guards went down.

Most M2M defenses are called pressure defenses.

Sometimes plans change?

It seems like 'press more' is kind of like a New Year's resolution for Tubby, he doesn't really mean it. To me, if we're going to use all our depth and have line-change subbing, why not press more? Almost every time they deploy it briefly, they get a couple turnovers, but then quickly go away from it.

Sometimes plans change?

Pressure defense doesn't necessarily mean a full court press. We played primarily zone last year after the guards went down.

Most M2M defenses are called pressure defenses.
I'm doing this to have GW look at GV's post.

I would like to see a few more minutes of full court pressure, but it really isn't effective vs a well coached team with similar levels of athleticism. You can get burned as fast as you can force that TO.

Why me? I didn't say anything about a press. You did & others did. I did not.
Because you said Tubby was lying when he said they'd play more pressure defense. When if you look at it the way GV did, he is not.

Tubby has never been a proponent of pressure no matter what kind of talent he's had.
He'll give it a perfunctory nod after a made free throw, or out of a timeout from time to time. but you'll never see it sustained except in end game desperation.

It seems like 'press more' is kind of like a New Year's resolution for Tubby, he doesn't really mean it. To me, if we're going to use all our depth and have line-change subbing, why not press more? Almost every time they deploy it briefly, they get a couple turnovers, but then quickly go away from it.

It's been an ongoing bait and switch for Tubby ever since he got a head coaching job. His last asst. gig was under Pitino during his Ky. heyday, and Tubby has always felt he needed to portray himself as a pressure D coach, despite never employing it in any real sense. He made that same promise annually at UGA and Ky.

Because you said Tubby was lying when he said they'd play more pressure defense. When if you look at it the way GV did, he is not.

Huh? Try reading all of the above and try again.

But for the record, if you think the Gophers play what a reasonable person would call "pressure defense", then we're just going to disagree on that.

I suggest people read what half court pressure defense is before they take Tubby's quote to mean something it doesn't.

OK. I'll bite. I am watching MSU - Illinois and I would say MSU plays a pressure defense. They are very tight on their opponents in a man-to-man. Gophers generally leave more space, because if they don't the player blows by them for a layup. Is there something else the Gophers need to do to play a pressure defense, can it be a trapping zone like NW?

OK. I'll bite. I am watching MSU - Illinois and I would say MSU plays a pressure defense. They are very tight on their opponents in a man-to-man. Gophers generally leave more space, because if they don't the player blows by them for a layup. Is there something else the Gophers need to do to play a pressure defense, can it be a trapping zone like NW?

Oh come on, of course you can get out and pressure your men in half court, even in a zone
defense to an extent. But the term "pressure defense" means denying at least half court(trapping
tp prevent getting across the timeline) or 3/4, to full court press. And that is also what Tubby
is using the terms as, he just doesn't have any intention of following thru on his promise to use it.
It's actually not a good tactic for this team, but you just have to see it as the Tubby m.o. Every
year you hear the same broken record, "we have to up the tempo, we'll pressure more on defense".
never happens.

It's been an ongoing bait and switch for Tubby ever since he got a head coaching job. His last asst. gig was under Pitino during his Ky. heyday, and Tubby has always felt he needed to portray himself as a pressure D coach, despite never employing it in any real sense. He made that same promise annually at UGA and Ky.
Hey man, at least change your moniker to What have THEY done We get it, we get it, Tubby can't coach, his teams suck, he can't build a program, blah, blah, blah. I mean c'mon man, Kentucky has already won 21 games. Enjoy it. You'd have to google names like Voshon Lenard, Lou Hudson, Willie Burton, Tom Kondla, Vincent Grier, Jim Brewer, Randy Breuer. You don't care about the Gophers. All you care about is ripping Tubby. Let it go, enjoy the Wildcats.

It's crazy, I always thought "pressure defense" was when you put pressure on your opponent while on defense. You learn something new everyday I guess. Thank you <del>'ol wise kentucky fan</del> "I hate Tubby so much I'm going to only post to rip on him whenever I can" fan.

In the half-court set, we pressure the ball all over the place. You don't have to press or even trap to play pressure defense. How else do you explain us leading the conference in steals?

In the half-court set, we pressure the ball all over the place. You don't have to press or even trap to play pressure defense. How else do you explain us leading the conference in steals?

The Gophers neither lead the Big Ten in steals nor are they tops in forcing turnovers.

The Gophers neither lead the Big Ten in steals nor are they tops in forcing turnovers.

Really? From the B1G website (sorry for poor formatting):

STEALS G No. Avg/G
1. Minnesota 22 184 8.4
2. Michigan State 21 171 8.1
3. Iowa 22 179 8.1
Ohio State 22 179 8.1
5. Indiana 22 162 7.4
Purdue 22 162 7.4
7. Penn State 22 153 7.0
8. Nebraska 20 130 6.5
9. Northwestern 20 119 6.0
10. Illinois 21 120 5.7
11. Wisconsin 22 120 5.5
12. Michigan 22 107 4.9

You guys are probably looking at different data sets. Conference vs All games.

You guys are probably looking at different data sets. Conference vs All games.

I know. But just because he's a guy who continually annoys the p!ss out of everyone with arguments based on semantics (i.e. re-read my post, that's not exactly what I said), I felt like pointing out that his statement was incorrect.

Technically, they do lead the conference in steals. They are third when you only consider conference games...but that's not what Golden Eagle boy said.

But the term "pressure defense" means denying at least half court(trapping
tp prevent getting across the timeline) or 3/4, to full court press.

I couldn't disagree more. Pressing is pressure, but pressure doesn't have to be pressing. Have you ever played organized basketball?

Top Bottom