mbakwe and a 6th year

gopherdiehard

Reaction score
does anyone have any info on whether or not he has a good chance to be granted a 6th year. or if he will even take it if he gets it?

does anyone have any info on whether or not he has a good chance to be granted a 6th year. or if he will even take it if he gets it?

I wrote this the night he was injured. No real change... although this was said in the Illinois game preview:

I continue to place the possibility of Trevor Mbakwe being allowed another year by the NCAA at 2%, tops. More likely than an additional year being given is that the school winds up never even formally filing a request. They might as well go ahead and try it, but if someone from the U picks up the phone and talks over the details of the matter with a member of the Committee prior to filing, they may get a response along the lines of, "are you kidding me? Please don't waste our time." It would be great for Trevor and the school to have another year together, but folks shouldn't get their hopes up.

In summary, if he was allowed to, I would think he'd be back. However, the likelihood of him being allowed to is extremely slim.

We won't know until after the season. The petition can't be filed until then.

2%? I realize the odds are against it, but come on. The NCAA is so arbitrary in these decisions at times, that I find it hard to ever peg it as 2% or 98% likely for that matter. Given that he missed parts of two seasons with injury and not everyone takes as dim a view of the year he was forced to sit by Maturi, anything is possible.

2%? I realize the odds are against it, but come on. The NCAA is so arbitrary in these decisions at times, that I find it hard to ever peg it as 2% or 98% likely for that matter. Given that he missed parts of two seasons with injury and not everyone takes as dim a view of the year he was forced to sit by Maturi, anything is possible.
And not everyone seems to have something against him.

howeda7 said:

I agree. I'm with GW that it is not likely, but I'd put the odds at maybe 18%.

As has been said on the countless other threads, it comes down to if the NCAA views Trevor's year he sat at MN to be his own fault or something he was the victim of.

I'm not sure how much his Marquette injury will play into it.

As far as unsubstantiated opinions on the odds I will go 50-50.

Either he will or he won't. Until the season is over, when the request gets presented to the NCAA, the odds are 0.

I agree. I'm with GW that it is not likely, but I'd put the odds at maybe 18%.

As has been said on the countless other threads, it comes down to if the NCAA views Trevor's year he sat at MN to be his own fault or something he was the victim of.

I'm not sure how much his Marquette injury will play into it.

His playing at MU shouldn't have any impact. He didn't play until February, but he knew the second he stepped on court it would cost him a full year of eligibility. It was a decision made.

The comment that "it comes down to if the NCAA views Trevor's year he sat at MN to be his own fault or something he was the victim of" isn't exactly how I'd put it, but the status of that legal matter is exactly why this is a 2% at best chance. When I brought something up before the season started, seemingly everyone dismissed it as a non-issue. But, consider what the University's reasoning for the request of an additional year would be when they talk to the Committee and then do the math as to why it's problematic.

I'm off this thread, but as always feel free to drop me a line via email or PM.

It was a non-issue.

But you've hung up and are listening so to speak.

Tweet from Trevor:

"Naw but forreal to everyone asking I hope I get another yr but it's on the ncaa so I'm going to need your prayers. I probably won't find out till April though"

Go Gophers!!

If he really wants it, I hope he gets it. I'm not really expecting it though honestly.

Agree. GW's pretty much got this one nailed, I think. Can't see any scenario where the NCAA allows another year in Trevor's case. It'll be a pleasant surprise if they do, but that's not my expectation.

If I were Trevor I don't think I would want to come back if I had any shot at going pro. These kind of injuries can lead to problems that plague a whole career, and I would hate to see someone with the potential to land a pro contract lose that opportunity because he re-injures a bad ACL and gets labeled an injury risk. Especially someone with as much heart and effort as Trevor plays with.

I would say the chances for Trevor getting a sixth year are less than 50-50, but greater than 2%.

One thing I'm 100% certain of is the sixth year is no longer rare. The NCAA grants a lot of them, relatively speaking. In addition, the NCAA is becoming increasingly more lenient in what they will grant an extra year on. To steal a phrase from the late NCAA prez Myles Brand, the NCAA - more than ever before - is much more "athlete-friendly" in saying 'yes' to these applications. My guess is they are fearful of litigation.

So, while we shouldn't get our hopes up, I also don't think it is an absolute dead-end pursuit for Trevor to seek an additional year.

At the end of the day, he missed almost all of two separate years for injuries, and was forced to sit out another season for a crime of which he was never found guilty. The NCAA at times has made some baffling decisions and I believe some sixth years have been granted to guy's with weaker cases than Trevor (including our own Adam Boone, who's sixth year still puzzles me).

I would say the chances for Trevor getting a sixth year are less than 50-50, but greater than 2%.

One thing I'm 100% certain of is the sixth year is no longer rare. The NCAA grants a lot of them, relatively speaking. In addition, the NCAA is becoming increasingly more lenient in what they will grant an extra year on. My guess is they are fearful of litigation.

So, while we shouldn't get our hopes up, I also don't think it is a dead-end pursuit for Trevor to seek an additional year.

At the end of the day, he missed almost all of two separate years for injuries, and was forced to sit out another season for a crime of which he was never found guilty. The NCAA at times has made some baffling decisions and I believe some sixth years have been granted to guy's with weaker cases than Trevor (including our own Adam Boone, who's sixth year still puzzles me).

Speaking of Trevor.... I went back home and watched a good bit of the game again on tape. There is Trevor cheering madly and beaming from ear to ear when we were cathcing them in the second half. Kid has made some mistakes but he has a lot of heart. Like that!

bga1 said:
Speaking of Trevor.... I went back home and watched a good bit of the game again on tape. There is Trevor cheering madly and beaming from ear to ear when we were cathcing them in the second half. Kid has made some mistakes but he has a lot of heart. Like that!

If he doesn't end up in the NBA, he definitely has a future in coaching I think. He'd be a good motivator and relate well to players.

Speaking of gopher player coaches (very OT) during the kings/thunder game they were talking about what an excellent coach bobby jackson was and what a hard worker. Forgot who the announcer was, but I want to say it was C-Webb who just praised him endlessly.

If I were Trevor I don't think I would want to come back if I had any shot at going pro. These kind of injuries can lead to problems that plague a whole career, and I would hate to see someone with the potential to land a pro contract lose that opportunity because he re-injures a bad ACL and gets labeled an injury risk. Especially someone with as much heart and effort as Trevor plays with.

Keep in mind only nba first round picks are guaranteed. Not 100% sure about overseas contracts but they are not the kind of money that nba contracts are. Right now Trevor will not be a first round pick. His best shot a big money would be to come back(regain his pre-injury form) and get drafted in the first round.

The bigger issue is he has a child to also support and may want to go pro right away(say overseas) and start earning some good money.

I loved this as well. I'm not a huge proponent of "moral victories," but it's been fun seeing what we've been able to do without the big guy. We've had trouble learning how to win, but not many teams are in a position to win so many tough games without their best player. I like to think the Gophers garner a little extra respect from opposing fans when they show our potential NBA draft pick on the bench and our active players are still battling against their team. I'm probably overstating that a bit, but whatever helps me sleep at night.

With that said, I agree that the 6th year is a long-shot for Trevor. The Gophers are overdue for some good fortune, though. I'm already excited for next season...if Rodney and Trevor are back (Rodney should be back, he's not ready), look out.

I loved this as well. I'm not a huge proponent of "moral victories," but it's been fun seeing what we've been able to do without the big guy. We've had trouble learning how to win, but not many teams are in a position to win so many tough games without their best player. I like to think the Gophers garner a little extra respect from opposing fans when they show our potential NBA draft pick on the bench and our active players are still battling against their team. I'm probably overstating that a bit, but whatever helps me sleep at night.

With that said, I agree that the 6th year is a long-shot for Trevor. The Gophers are overdue for some good fortune, though. I'm already excited for next season...if Rodney and Trevor are back (Rodney should be back, he's not ready), look out.

USC lost their best player for the season, anyone remember how good they are now?

Also, can you imganine if Rod spends the whole summer ball handling and shooting? Seriously, look out.

So the Wisconsin fan that frequents this Gopher site has a calculation that there is only a 2% chance the NCAA approves Trevor's appeal if filed. He must be a math major. He may be right that Trevor's application is denied, but it is a bit arrogant to think you can predict that level of accurately as to how the NCAA will rule. I am not expecting a positve response from the NCAA, but it would be entertaining to hear our Badger expert explain his miscalculation if the petition is approved. I never frequent the Badger sites, does anyone know if we have a Gopher fan that frequents the Badger boards and lays out this level of expertise? I'm just curious.

So the Wisconsin fan that frequents this Gopher site has a calculation that there is only a 2% chance the NCAA approves Trevor's appeal if filed. He must be a math major. He may be right that Trevor's application is denied, but it is a bit arrogant to think you can predict that level of accurately as to how the NCAA will rule. I am not expecting a positve response from the NCAA, but it would be entertaining to hear our Badger expert explain his miscalculation if the petition is approved. I never frequent the Badger sites, does anyone know if we have a Gopher fan that frequents the Badger boards and lays out this level of expertise? I'm just curious.
I believe he is a Marquette fan who is still pissed that Trevor left town after his freshman year.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but he's a Marquette guy, not a Becky guy. It looks like you'll have to contact his secretary and set up an appointment if you want to discuss things further with him.

Top Bottom