Drinks before a home game

BJack4Life

Reaction score
Where is a good place to go and get drinks before a gophers home game? Everywhere we went was simply packed!

The Library for value. Sturb's for the beer...but as Yogi sez: "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

I've never really had good waiter/waitress service at Sterbs. If you are looking for somewhere where you can actually find a table I might suggest either Campus Pizza or what was formerly Leaning Tower of Pizza.

Burrito Loco for sure. Cheap pitchers and good atmosphere

P.S the Library blows

Big Ten has never been busy for me when my buddy and I go before games.

I have lost many a dollar in that blasted machine. They can only evade the precision of the terror claw for so long!

My question is (and sorry this is a bit off-topic): has anyone here ever witnessed someone actually catching a lobster? I've tried my luck a few times to no avail. Our waitress there once told us that she has seen two people succeed. Maybe that's just a marketing ploy.

My question is (and sorry this is a bit off-topic): has anyone here ever witnessed someone actually catching a lobster? I've tried my luck a few times to no avail. Our waitress there once told us that she has seen two people succeed. Maybe that's just a marketing ploy.

We had a bachelor party in the Dells once, and the bar we went to one night had the same machine. 1 guy in our group caught a lobster, but that was after our group as a whole must have poured $50 into that machine.

My buddy got it. It was awesome because they cooked it up for him right away.

We had a bachelor party in the Dells once, and the bar we went to one night had the same machine. 1 guy in our group caught a lobster, but that was after our group as a whole must have poured $50 into that machine.

I think I know of the machine you speak of in the Dells. Anyway..back to the topic, I wish there was another good bar close to Williams. I like Burrito Loco and Stub and Herbs but I cannot stand the Library and Blarneys. I am always somewhat surprised there is not at least one more bar in the dinkytown stadium village area that is good (my opinion). I understand there are so many options being in the metro and the fracturing of the campus...but still

Loring
Kitty Kat
BWW
Big Ten
Sturbs (that is the correct spelling, BTW)
Sally's
Library
Blarney
Loco
Punch (yes, tap beer I believe)
Applebees (regretfully)
Campus Pizza

Also, downtime in the dinkydome, unless that has closed down recently. It opened like 4 years ago and isn't as widely known as the others.

Also, downtime in the dinkydome, unless that has closed down recently. It opened like 4 years ago and isn't as widely known as the others.

Downtime just closed not too long ago, but is reopening as a different bar. I'm bummed they closed that, it was a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty bar, but they had $10 all you can drink PBR and all you can eat pizza and ribs!

Burrito Loco for sure. Cheap pitchers and good atmosphere

P.S the Library blows

Agree on Burrito Loco - service is great, and every night they have some kind of special like buy a pitcher, get a platter of nachos for free.

I still do do the Library, they have specials every night too - and it's big, so we've always gotten a table there.

I honestly can't stand going anywhere else before the games because it is packed. I met friends at BW3 last weekend, they were there 2 hours early, and still got a spot at the bar with one bar stool.

Another benefit to Dinkytown, I usually get free parking, but that flat lot down from the Library is $4, plus it's an easy out. I take a left out of there, go down to 14th, take a left, and go up 6th street to 10th....3 extra turns, but you don't sit on 4th in traffic. That's why I laugh at beat the traffickers, they miss the game, and they still sit in traffic because they don't know the right way to go. Takes me 15 minutes to get home. Should I be sharing this??? ;)

If you come from down or west I like to go to Whiteys or Bulldog on Hennepin. Easy shot down University

Plenty of bars in Roseville. According to commercials, Roseville is really close to William.

I met friends at BW3 last weekend, they were there 2 hours early, and still got a spot at the bar with one bar stool.

Terrible bar period. Gave it a one beer chance and will never go back.

Blarney's is pretty good. You can hop on the Blarney bus and get a ride to the game and back. P.S. you can bring your unfinished drink on the bus!

dpodoll68 said:
Big Ten has never been busy for me when my buddy and I go before games.
Yes - Big 10 - and if hungry you gotta get a sub!

GopherLady said:
Agree on Burrito Loco - service is great, and every night they have some kind of special like buy a pitcher, get a platter of nachos for free.

I still do do the Library, they have specials every night too - and it's big, so we've always gotten a table there.

I honestly can't stand going anywhere else before the games because it is packed. I met friends at BW3 last weekend, they were there 2 hours early, and still got a spot at the bar with one bar stool.

Another benefit to Dinkytown, I usually get free parking, but that flat lot down from the Library is $4, plus it's an easy out. I take a left out of there, go down to 14th, take a left, and go up 6th street to 10th....3 extra turns, but you don't sit on 4th in traffic. That's why I laugh at beat the traffickers, they miss the game, and they still sit in traffic because they don't know the right way to go. Takes me 15 minutes to get home. Should I be sharing this??? ;)
Gee thanks Babu - I guess I might as well just take 4th now that you congested my route. : )

Yes - Big 10 - and if hungry you gotta get a sub!

Agreed, my dad and I stop at Big 10 every time we go to the Bank. Cant beat a turkey sub and Grain Belt Nordeast while watching the early games. The only time we really had a long wait there was before the Wisconsin game, I cant imagine it would be too bad before a game at Williams.

Been to Leaning Tower a few times - and it's never been crazy. Solid pizza and other apps before/after games. Fairly good tap selection as well.

Been to Leaning Tower a few times - and it's never been crazy. Solid pizza and other apps before/after games. Fairly good tap selection as well.
Nice throwback joint. And if you're lucky you'll get a Sid sighting.

No, you really should not!

i was at the illinois game and stub and herbs is nice but you have to get there at 430 for a 7 oclock game no joke... my brother lives in Brooklyn center and we went to stub and herbs at 5, 10 mins later is was standing room only

Big Ten for the assorted sub before the game and Sally's afterwards (if you leave at halftime!).

Top Bottom