Slowin down the questionable foul...

Might (probably) get ripped here but I don't see a foul there. We got some luck, which I'll take, but there wasn't a lot of contact. B1G refs are inconsistent across the board this year though, so I wouldn't expect much less.

I agree it shoulda been a no-call...Sometimes refs see a player drive inside and anticipate contact...We see it all the time. Also on Saturday, Paul got a couple of buckets and one situations that had minimal contact. I think the refs we had for that game were calling it much tighter than normal all night.

Interesting to see it in slow motion - thanks for posting.

Definitely not a foul, though one foul, one missed shot, one turnover doesn't determine a game. We caught a break and move on to Iowa.

Go Gophers!!

At :06 seconds in the video Leonard's arm goes into Hollins' face. You can't do that.

Bottom line, it was a dumb & dumber moment. Dumb move to go inside, dumber move to contest the shot at all.

Definitely not a foul, though one foul, one missed shot, one turnover doesn't determine a game. We caught a break and move on to Iowa.

Good call or bad call, I am thinking that we have had so many of those go against us over the years, that this is simply a down payment on divine payback. More breaks coming our way. I can just sense it.

This is the first game in my recent memory that an improbabe and or wierd situation actually went our way.

In frames 312 to 314 you can see Hollin's head clearly go back and to the left. This leads me to believe there was a second fouler on the grassy knoll.

In frames 312 to 314 you can see Hollin's head clearly go back and to the left. This leads me to believe there was a second fouler on the grassy knoll.

Dang! Stole my post!

Obviously no foul there. In my book the call has gone from questionable past highly questionable to simply bad...but not as far as horrendous. The Gophs were victims of a few horrendous calls earlier in the game, so the systemic justice of the situation eases my guilt. Leonard stood his ground, believing he wouldn't be the victim of a bad call, but he made a bad assumption. Should have just backed off or stayed out of the neighborhood altogether.

It was a miracle, that's all that can be said. We'll take it.

Might (probably) get ripped here but I don't see a foul there. We got some luck, which I'll take, but there wasn't a lot of contact. B1G refs are inconsistent across the board this year though, so I wouldn't expect much less.[/QUOTE

In fact, Leonard appears to be doing all he can to avoid the foul -- as you'd expect a player to do in that situation. His arms are straight up, he's backing up. But, I agree, this type of foul is nearly always called on the defense and was called on the Gophers a couple of times on Paul's drives. I find this interpretation of the rules by the refs to be detrimental to the game. I'd want to see the foul be called on the player who caused the collision and often that's the shooter.

The other thing this video does not show is that Leonard was shuffling his feet throughout Hollins drive.

My guess is that Leonard was just completely caught off guard. He's standing there with nobody around him, so his arms are down. He's waiting for the 3. Then Hollins comes flying down the lane. Since Myers hadn't calculated this possibility, multiple thoughts came to his mind all at once:
1. "He coming right for me. Must play defense" - so he starts to throw his hands up...but not quickly enough cuz he whacks Hollins in the head.
2. "Must get out of way" - so he starts backpedaling
3. "WTF?!?!?" - so....????

I will say, Hollins did a good job of not charging.

In fact, Leonard appears to be doing all he can to avoid the foul -- as you'd expect a player to do in that situation. His arms are straight up, he's backing up.

I don't see him backing up and his arms are straight out into Hollins' face at the point of contact.

ticky tac call but so were half the calls Brandon Paul got

I don't know, but it kind of looks like he doesn't put his arms completely straight up until the contact had already been made. His feet were definitely moving throughout the play as well.

Leonard's arms aren't straight up until after contact is made. Maybe the call was tic-tac (and I'm sure many of you agree when I say I hate those types of calls as a B1G fan), but it was consistent with what the refs were calling throughout the entire game. Plus they didn't have the benefit of watching the play on computers in super slow-motion.

I will say this. If GopherHolers reffed Big Ten games, I think we would see flawlessly officiated games all season long. :rolleyes:

Paul got multiple calls where he drove into someone and barely made any contact and got the 3 point play because of it.

This didn't convince me one way or the other as far as if it was a good call/bad call, etc.. What it did do is show me that Leonard had plenty of time to not-react to the drive. Good example of one dumb decision being turned into something positive by dumber decision.

Got some good laughs reading this thread. Thanks guys.

Seriously though, do you think Colton Iverson would have seen it as a foul? Because I guarantee that if it had been him in the lane, he would have been called for the foul.
What was it with that guy and the refs?
Just chalk one up to catching a break and go take care of buisness at Iowa. It'd sure be nice for these guys to reset the season at .500 and see what happens down the stretch.

Seriously though, do you think Colton Iverson would have seen it as a foul? Because I guarantee that if it had been him in the lane, he would have been called for the foul.

Colt would have been called for a flagrant foul.

Colt would have been called for a flagrant foul.

No Colton would have fouled out long before that play.

IMO it was a foul (if all the Brandon Paul contact plays were fouls) but the refs don't normally call it with a few seconds left.

Top Bottom