USA Today Bubble Tracker: Big Ten gets most bids, Pac-12 gets one

Indiana a 5 is a joke. I know, I know...some big wins. But IMO, they are not a 5 seed.

any team with a losing conference record should never be considered confortably in.

scools "any team with a losing conference record should never be considered confortably in."

No team on the "bubble" should be called "comfortably in" in late January with nine games and a conference tournament to play. All things considered, to be in a position where taking care of business gets us in, we should be grateful. It starts with the Hawkeyes.

I'm actually pretty surprised, but our resume is really strong compared to these other bubble teams. Is it just a weak bubble or are we kind of selling the Gophs short?

No team on the "bubble" should be called "comfortably in" in late January with nine games and a conference tournament to play. All things considered, to be in a position where taking care of business gets us in, we should be grateful. It starts with the Hawkeyes.

Exactly. I won't consider us comfortably in until Selection Sunday. Of course, there were extreme circumstances, but not being able to take care of business in the second half of last year's conference slate won't soon be forgotten. Every game is huge. Specifically ones like @Iowa.

I'm actually pretty surprised, but our resume is really strong compared to these other bubble teams. Is it just a weak bubble or are we kind of selling the Gophs short?

I don't think anyone in the history of Gopherhole has ever sold the Gophers short. There is no way that could be it.

man, what has happened to the pac-12 the last few years when it comes to basketball?!

I don't think anyone in the history of Gopherhole has ever sold the Gophers short. There is no way that could be it.

LOL

But seriously, we had a bad 4 game stretch, which was really only 2 bad home games (Iowa and Purdue). The Dayton loss was bad, but that was all kinds of diseased once Trevor went down. This team has "taken care of business" for the most part all year. By no means are they a lock for the tournament, we all know that's not even close to the case, but if they continue to play similarly to how they have the previous 5 games, I feel very confident that we will be happy come March.

The only thing that matters right now is beating Iowa though. They can't worry about what the future might bring. Just beat the next team on the schedule and everything will take care of itself.

Examining Minnesota's schedule down the stretch, there is literally no way to predict what could happen. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the Gophers won six more regular season games. It also wouldn't surprise me if they won two more games.

Four more regular season wins and one in the conference tournament would have everyone around here chewing their nails and pacing on Selection Sunday. I think the two remaining games against Nebraska are HUGE. Those are the only two games on the schedule that Minnesota "should" win. Dropping one of those puts this team in a very tight spot because they would have to then have to go 2-1 against OSU, MSU and Wisconsin.

The schedule can also be broken down into segments, with the two road games against Iowa and Nebraska coming first. Then it's the gauntlet of Ohio State, Michigan State and Wisconsin in a four-game stretch with only a trip to Northwestern to break up the madness. Going 2-2 in that stretch should be expected and put this team in good position moving forward. Then it's the final three vs. Indiana, at Wisconsin and vs. Nebraska.

Other schedule notes: In a seven game stretch to end the season, five games will be at home...Minnesota will be significant underdogs only three more times this season: at Wisconsin, vs. Michigan State and vs. Ohio State. The rest of the games should essentially be toss-ups.

Top Bottom