Chip and Westbrook

Reaction score
Both play with swagger. Both can take the ball to the hoop
Westbrook was a better defender and was "the guy" you wanted on the free throw line. Both, at times, look like they've a chip on their shoulder, and both can seem to stray away from the teammate concept. Now, does Chip hate Wisconsin as much as Westbrook did? ( Remember the game at the barn when Gophers were running the clock out against the Badger's at the end and Westbrook went in for the jam?) I hope so. Sometimes you need a dink on the team just to change things up. I hope Chip is our dink.

Chip's the only guy on this team who wouldn't back down from a fist fight now that Trevor's on the shelf. I think he's a much different player than Westbrook, but both have balls like coconuts. I think Chips' less selfish than Westie & Westie was a much better shooter/defender (although Chip's just a Soph)

Chip's the only guy on this team who wouldn't back down from a fist fight now that Trevor's on the shelf. I think he's a much different player than Westbrook, but both have balls like coconuts. I think Chips' less selfish than Westie & Westie was a much better shooter/defender (although Chip's just a Soph)

+1

They both have swagger, otherwise they are completely different. Chip is a football player. Tough. His nickname is well earned, a chip off a rock. Otherwise, he is bigger and more physical than Westbrook. Also, seems like a good guy. He gave Richardson a hand slap congratulating him on his hustle back to tie up Chip on the steel and fast break. Completely different from Westbrook. Westbrook had more basketball skills.

Westbrook would also often wait to decide which skill to use until he was in mid air surrounded by defenders...too often settling for his "turnover" skill.

Westie had his demons, but he will ever be the hearts Gopher fans because singlehandly he beat the skunks twice and his free throw shooting put the cap on several other wins.

Why are we discussing who on this team would step up in a fist fight? I thought this was frowned upon in basketball?

Why are we discussing who on this team would step up in a fist fight? I thought this was frowned upon in basketball?

It's only a 2 minute minor, Zammy. Unless you are an instigator.

Not sure if Chip's a dink necessarily; he seems like a swell guy. What he is is not afraid to take a shot when one's available or try to make a play when nobody else on the floor can or will. That's why he stands out from his teammates, who follow Tubby's "don't shoot" direction too obediently.

And he's totally unlike Westy when it comes to sharing the ball. His nicest plays last night were when he had a shot but made the extra pass to a teammate with a better shot.

And he's totally unlike Westy when it comes to sharing the ball. His nicest plays last night were when he had a shot but made the extra pass to a teammate with a better shot.[/QUOTE said:
Chip was #2 on ESPN's Top 10 plays last night for his two sweet ass passes.

Chip was #2 on ESPN's Top 10 plays last night for his two sweet ass passes.

He's still developing a feel for the game - on offense AND defense. I like the way he's progressing.

Still one of my favorite games I was at in the last 20 years. The fight actually happened after the gift exchange, but it "did" happen.

of course it happened. I was there, though Nathaniel started the fight. Don't try to kick an airforce security guy in the head.

By the way, the LIU fight a year earlier was better.

Unlike Alabama St., Long Island wasn't going to back down. They really showed their grit. As poorly as they were rated at the time, I think they made the Tournament that same year or the next.

Costa Rican Gopher;493710[B said:
]Chip's the only guy on this team who wouldn't back down from a fist fight[/B] now that Trevor's on the shelf. I think he's a much different player than Westbrook, but both have balls like coconuts. I think Chips' less selfish than Westie & Westie was a much better shooter/defender (although Chip's just a Soph)
No offense intended Costa Rican Gopher, but way over the top on the post. I'm guessing you're still pumped up from the W last night. Not being afraid to take a shot really doesn't equate to being a bada$$. Actually, I'm with the other poster, Chip seems like a nice guy. I too seen him congratulate the guy after the nice play against him.

Miles Tarver was not afraid to take a 3-pointer, despite the protests of 12,000 fans. That is badass.

Miles might also be the only player in Gopher history to have a higher 3-point percentage than he did a layup percentage.

The legend of Miles grows in my mind...

Didn't back down, but were still rocked in the fight and by 40 or so in the game.

No offense intended Costa Rican Gopher, but way over the top on the post. I'm guessing you're still pumped up from the W last night. Not being afraid to take a shot really doesn't equate to being a bada$$. Actually, I'm with the other poster, Chip seems like a nice guy. I too seen him congratulate the guy after the nice play against him.

I stand by this 100%. Chip's fearless. I've rarely seen a guy take the ball to the rack with such abandon for his own safety. He also sets hard picks, dives for balls, is built & imo his football background shows out there. I've used this line here for years, but every team needs a "Stare down player". That's the player on our team who will stand nose-to-nose with the toughest guy on their team in a stare down & not blink. Ralph? Rodney? Elliot? Oto? Mav? Austin? Dre? Coleman (Ok, maybe Coleman?), someone mentioned Welch (maybe?)....I dunno, Chip's the one guy on the roster who's healthy & wouldn't blink imo.

I stand by this 100%. Chip's fearless. I've rarely seen a guy take the ball to the rack with such abandon for his own safety. He also sets hard picks, dives for balls, is built & imo his football background shows out there. I've used this line here for years, but every team needs a "Stare down player". That's the player on our team who will stand nose-to-nose with the toughest guy on their team in a stare down & not blink. Ralph? Rodney? Elliot? Oto? Mav? Austin? Dre? Coleman (Ok, maybe Coleman?), someone mentioned Welch (maybe?)....I dunno, Chip's the one guy on the roster who's healthy & wouldn't blink imo.
I definitely see Elliot as a stoic tough guy. He won't get in your face, but he won't back down either. (just the way I perceive him)

Bottom-line is that the team is playing with grit, intensity, and winning games by playing incredibly hard. Not backing down is a good thing. No one here is advocating fighting in basketball, but rather trying to draw a correlation to tough, gritty basketball, which we are playing right now. I for one LOVE how this team has responded to Trevor being out.

I remember that fight, but can't believe somebody actually recorded the Sportcenter highlights. Great hearing Dick Bremer doing games on MSC!

Top Bottom