We MUST beat Iowa

Moonlight

Reaction score
Riding the good feelings of this win, let me be the first to say again
WE MUST BEAT IOWA

and Nebraska next Sunday - to set up some great wins vs Wisc and OSU

Yes - these next two road games are very important

Yes - these next two road games are very important

Must take care of business unlike the early part of the season.

As last night's tough, hard-fought game was ending, I thought, they're all going to be like this, one after another, the rest of the year. Must-win after must-win. I hope the players are ready for that, and I hope Tubby can get them in that mode. This team has shown what it's capable of when it's focused and energized.

The good news, we are 2-0 in recent "we must" game.. Northwestern and Illinois. Personally, I do not think "we must" win both road game but I sure as heck think we must win at least one. Win one and beat wisky. Bottom line, win 2 of next 3 at a minimum.

Agreed, Bad. But there's must win, AND the fact I don't think I could take losing to Iowa twice in one season!
If we beat Iowa on their court it sort of nullifies the loss here - for me anyway.

Agreed, Bad. But there's must win, AND the fact I don't think I could take losing to Iowa twice in one season!
If we beat Iowa on their court it sort of nullifies the loss here - for me anyway.

The Iowa and Purdue games are examples of how bad this team can look when they're not fully engaged. Of all people, I'd expect the senior to sense the shortness of the time left and go full-out, but Sampson is the least engaged out there. Blows my mind.

Iowa benefited from unconscious shooting from the outside and Gophers really owe them one. Also, Iowa didn't face the more aggressive to the rim Gophers led by J Coleman and as a team, the Hawkeyes are reeling right now.

Bottom line, win 2 of next 3 at a minimum.

+1. I don't think there is a must-win in the near term, but I do agree we need 2 of the next 3. Otherwise 9-9 isn't looking real doable.

Iowa benefited from unconscious shooting from the outside and Gophers really owe them one. Also, Iowa didn't face the more aggressive to the rim Gophers led by J Coleman and as a team, the Hawkeyes are reeling right now.

If we beat Iowa on their court it sort of nullifies the loss here - for me anyway.[/QUOTE] Yes and yes. Coleman has that intensity, the guy really seems driven. If someone wants to discuss a tough player on the Gophers, he's the poster boy. He is fearless on those drives. Gophers need some payback on the Hawkeyes. Man, the board is really great after a win like last night!

Two things lost the game. No zone offense by the Gophers, and they didn't guard Gatens, their best and most experienced player. If Joe can penetrate the zone and they play reasonable defense, Gophers win. We all know anything can happen, though. (Cliche warning) No gimme's in the Big Ten, but we are getting them at the right time. (Cliche 2) This is a trap game if there ever was one.

Iowa-Nebraska road swing

Win 1 of 2 = Still on track for NCAA bid, but still little to no margin for error down the stretch.

Win 2 of 2 = Gophers finally will have created some margin for error after 0-4 start. That would put the Gophers at 2 more road wins (4) than home losses (2).

No reason the Gophers can't win both, but as Bad Gopher said pretty much all of our games will be white-knucklers the rest of the way. There's not a single "sure thing" on our schedule, other than I think OSU is a loss.

I think we'll easily beat Iowa. I'm not sure about the Nebraska game. I think we'll get beat at N'Western.

I think we'll easily beat Iowa. I'm not sure about the Nebraska game. I think we'll get beat at N'Western.

Those three teams have a combined 8 wins. If we have aspirations of 9 or 10 conference wins, we need to find a way to take care of business against the bottom of the conference on the road.

Top Bottom