Post game comments after big Illini Win! Weber, Tubby, Hollins and Hollins....

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are my unedited notes from the presser. I have to say my favorite moments were Sid ones. He spoke to me for the 1st time, ever (aside from when I told him he had food on his shirt). Asked me who I worked for, I told him I actually did a blog for his paper (which I don't think he heard) and I told him I was with GopherHole. After a long pause, he responded - GopherHole? You guys do a great job over there. Then he proceeded to ask me if we make money on the website....it was a moment ;).

Another fave was parting words with Tubby:
Sid: Can I call you in the morning?
Tubby: You can call me, I may not answer, but you can call me.

Bruce Weber:
• You've got to give Hollins the credit. I'm proud of our kids. Tubby is a great coach here, a great person, and someone you should feel proud to have as your coach.
• Gophers scored down the stretch and we didn't do a good job stopping them.
• When Hollins goes to the basket, I'm thinking "thank you" and when our kid gets called for the bump, it's a difficult call and basket.
• The foul on Leonard - it was a little bump. We should have done better in other parts of the game.
• This was a similar game to the one we had at Assembly Hall. We got back in, had a chance to win it, and don't close it out.
• How big was it not to have Leonard in the OT? It's huge.
• All losses are hard to take. When we win it's even hard to take when we listen to the critiquing. Tubby got his kids to respond, now it's time to get our kids to respond.

Austin Hollins:
• I saw an open court and a 2 on 1, I knew if we got a quick bucket we could get the quick two.
• I knew when I came off the handoff, I could have shot the 3, and that's what they wanted me to do.
• This is a big one for us. We just need to work hard in practice, and keep it going.
• I was happy to hear the whistle when I got fouled on that last play.
• It was gratifying to beat them, they all are, because you need them.
• Rodney is good for one of those dunks a game (joking)
• We started out a little slow and the bench picked us up and were huge.
• Chip played great, he hit some big shots, playing defense, he brought the energy I was talking about.
• Coach will emphasize free throws the most next practice.

Andre Hollins:
• We outscored their bench 39-9. We've been working hard, challenging each other, served us well today.
• It just felt good, Coach talked about the precious present, and I saw that opportunity well. We worked hard at practice.

Tubby Smith:
• That was a tough, hard fought game. We knew Illinois was a team we'd have to play our best. I'm pleased with the total team effort, especially the guys off the bench. When we substituted earlier in the night, those guys did a great job of lifting our spirits and providing energy. It's a huge win for us, that we needed desperately. Both teams battled really hard tonight.
• Austin saw an opening and attacked the basket, attacked the rim, and we got the call. The biggest thing is making the free throws. He stepped up and really played well down the stretch. He and Andre both did. We didn't really get the energy level that we needed, but guys fought back. When Leonard went out, that was huge for us.
• We were looking for a three, but if he can take it all the way -- that's how we operate
• Chip was probably player of the game, in 24 minutes, he made those 3's, he's got a lot of confidence, and we have confidence in him.
• The crowd is always huge when you get your home crowd behind us, I'm glad they were here to witness a great game.
• Andre's been playing well, he's been practicing well. We recruited him as a point guard, he stepped up and made his free throws. He played a very mature, like a veteran senior player.
• Our bench and depth, those kids have played, in practice they can beat the 1st team, and vice versa. Our practices are competitive. The bench plays with a lot of passion, not that our starters don't, but our starters may pace themselves a bit. Our bench goes in and they go all out. I'm glad we were able to reward them with not just playing time, but a big win tonight.
• Ohio State probably has the most talent, but MSU is tough, they probably have the player of the year playing for them in Draymond Green. We have our work cut out for us. Everyone has improved. There's a lot of balance and parody, not just in our league, but in

Interesting. Did look like the starters were pacing themselves. Time for the second team when that happens.

Great job Nadine - it's great knowing that by the time I get home from the game these are up and a great complement to the post-game radio interviews.

Go Gophers!!

Oh, Nadine...I think you forgot about your first conversation when you had with Sid when he blatantly plagiarized one of your articles word for word and then called you to tell you he didn't and hung up on you!!

Good times.

Go Gophers!!

My goodness - all this fussing about Myers-Lemon.
We had to play the OT w/o Sampson!

Very courteous of Weber to say what he did about Tubby after a tough loss like that.

Quick numbers for dorks.....

66 possession game (adjusted for overtime & averaged)
Offensive efficiency MN 104, IL 98
eFG% MN 51.9%, IL 42.7%
TO Rate MN 19.3%, IL 21.4%
OR% MN 30.6%, IL 37.8%
FTRate MN 61.1%, IL 46.8%

Top performers for the Gophers: Chip Armelin & Austin Hollins.
Illinois just 3/21 (14.3%) from three-point range.
Every one of the Gophers' starters had a steal (2 for Coleman). Andre Hollins led the team with 3 off the bench.
Gophers were scoring well when passing the ball. They really had it going for a good chunk of time.. seemed to get away from it for a bit, but that machine was running nicely for a good part of the game. 18 assists of 25 FGM.
39-9 bench scoring in favor of MN.
Gophers shot 63.6% from the line and missed several front ends. No big deal. :)

The front end misses directly caused the Illini run. They were effectively turnovers when you are in the bonus.

Oh...How about that slam by Rodney on the missed free throw,....oh....my....gosh!

fan of Ray Williams said:
Oh...How about that slam by Rodney on the missed free throw,....oh....my....gosh!

How about that slam off the TO, that was ridiculous too.

The front end misses directly caused the Illini run. They were effectively turnovers when you are in the bonus.

So in your view did Minnesota commit turnovers each time they missed a field goal? Those were another 29 turnovers! Rough night!

So in your view did Minnesota commit turnovers each time they missed a field goal? Those were another 29 turnovers! Rough night!
Missing the front end of a 1& 1 the other team has the rebound advantage.

Gopher Warrior said:

What's the national FT percentage vs FG percentage? FT percentage becomes just as important as FG percentage when you are in a bonus situation with the lead.

Yawn.

Why not be direct? I am responding to the quote Nadine gave. If there is something else Weber said regarding Tubby's prostate cancer, I didn't hear it.
? Sorry, not following you. I thought there might have been a reason for the tennis shoes.

Hey, if you don't want to answer the question, just say that.

In men's college basketball, 69% of free throws taken are made. You believe at least some of those misses are turnovers. Does that mean you believe missed field goals are also turnovers?

Gopher Warrior said:

In men's college basketball, 69% of free throws taken are made. You believe at least some of those misses are turnovers. Does that mean you believe missed field goals are also turnovers?

No. What is the percentage of made free throws after a missed front end of a 1 and 1?

It WAS a tough, hard-fought game.

I'd add that what the reserve squad did was make the extra pass. With as aggressively as the Illini were playing defense, they were creating opportunities out of their over-pursuit. The subs made them pay.

I had a moment with Sid several years ago. It was just outside the Golden Valley Byerly's. Sid had just avoided being run down by a car in the parking lot, and he started complaining to me about lady drivers. I guess I sort of humored him.

Thanks again, GL, for the report. I look forward to each one.

No. What is the percentage of made free throws after a missed front end of a 1 and 1?

A) You're awarded zero points if you miss the front end of a 1 and 1.

B) You're awarded zero points if you miss a field goal.

Since you believe A) is effectively a turnover, I am wondering if you believe B) is effectively a turnover. That's all.

I think this question requires higher math...:)
I agree Gold. When the front end is missed, the defenders have the rebounding advantage. With our poor free throw % we can expect teams to challenge us during the 1&1 sequence. A miss then vacates our opportunity to score during the possession and hence is analogous to a turnover. Its our possession, and we've wasted it w/no points scored.
In tonights game, the fouls ended up costing ILL, so...

What's the national FT percentage vs FG percentage? FT percentage becomes just as important as FG percentage when you are in a bonus situation with the lead.

Yawn.

This is for GW not you GV.

Yawn. It bores you and yet it fascinates you, and other people think it's important and that bugs you because they just don't understand it like you do.

sal said:
Yawn. It bores you and yet it fascinates you, and other people think it's important and that bugs you because they just don't understand it like you do.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I agree with you that free throw percentage is overrated. But those missed front ends KILLED us today. They created empty possessions when we should have had easy points. Not the same as a missed field goal, and you should know that.

I enjoy your basketball analysis. I really do. You have great input. But your constant self-promotion and gloating is very grating, and I'd like your contributions much more if they were provided without such unnecessary self-adoration.

A) You're awarded zero points if you miss the front end of a 1 and 1.

B) You're awarded zero points if you miss a field goal.

Since you believe A) is effectively a turnover, I am wondering if you believe B) is effectively a turnover. That's all.
Did you miss the part earlier where he said on FT's the defense has the advantage to get the rebound? On FG's there is no clear advantage if you take a good shot. On FT's the D gets the advantage, making missing the front end of a 1 and 1 essentially a bad pass that we'd be lucky if it's not turned over.

Top Bottom