Dre

zambam

Reaction score
Great to see him take over at the point when Welch was struggling.

He played a great game! Great to see him gain some confidence back.

I agree. Hopefully we end up looking back on this one as a B10 coming out party

Looking like a very good recruiting class with Hollins and Coleman. Need the quickness of Andre in there.

Yeah...but he made some FR mistakes late in the game that could have killed us...the future is bright if we can hold onto these guys for a couple of years!

loved it. he almost reverted back in the last minute of ot. up until then he was very sure with the ball, got a little hesitant and less aggresive. Nice to see him have a great game though. His on the ball defense has been getting quicker and more persistant/pesky the last couple of games.

GopherinPhilly said:
Yeah...but he made some FR mistakes late in the game that could have killed us...the future is bright if we can hold onto these guys for a couple of years!
Yeah....but? Yeah but he still played big time when we needed him.

Andre played HUGE! As we saw in OT, he can take a guy off the dribble so much better than Julian and Mav because of his quickness. Hopefully this gave him a lot of confidence....think about this potential guard lineup Andre, Coleman, Tyus, Vaughn....

He made that first one when he was trying to dribble up the court and doing too much. The other time, he called timeout.

Dre is the one guy on the roster who has the gifts to become the complete player. Tonight I started to get really excited about what he can develop into.

Dre made a huge improvement with his game tonight. That's a big deal for this team.

Looking like a very good recruiting class with Hollins and Coleman. Need the quickness of Andre in there.

Gopher in Texas, add EE, Oto and Huge Mo to that class. I'm sure there must have been a better class, but I can't remember one. I really like the two recruits coming in also. Hope you can come visit!

Congratulations to Andre as he played very well tonight. This game should really boost his confidence.

That step back jumper he hit in overtime was awesome!

Dre is the one guy on the roster who has the gifts to become the complete player. Tonight I started to get really excited about what he can develop into.

Bad Gopher you are one of the most perceptive on the board. Not EE and/or Joe?

I think 'Dre's performance was huge not only for the Gophers, but also for himself. His rate of poor plays to "wow" plays had been going in the wrong directions for a long time. To not only have the coaching staff trust him to be the primary ballhandler in crunch time, but to also succeed in that role has to be enormous for his confidence going forward.

I'll throw in the three he hit in regulation that cut the lead to three and may have been the first basket they scored over that long stretch on 46. He shot it confidently and without hesitation. Big play. He must have shown something in practice this week for Tubby to have him in over Welch in crunch time.

He got jobbed big time when they didn't give him the timeout in OT. We had a perfect angle on it and he must have signaled for at least two seconds before anyone touched the ball and the ref who had the worst night of them all continued his streak when he called a jump.

Bad Gopher you are one of the most perceptive on the board. Not EE and/or Joe?

By complete player, I mean handle the ball, distribute the ball and score outside and closer in. A lot of work ahead to develop that overall game, but the tools are there.

Dre made a huge improvement with his game tonight. That's a big deal for this team.

+1

Dre is the future of this team. Mav is going to be a steady, reliable back-up PG but for us to win big over the next couple season we need a big time PG & Hollins needs to become that guy.

+1

Dre is the future of this team. Mav is going to be a steady, reliable back-up PG but for us to win big over the next couple season we need a big time PG & Hollins needs to become that guy.

I don't know what you peoples obsession with the big time point guard is.. you just need good players. Who is the Big time Point Guard for Georgetown? Michigan State? Indiana, Kentucky.. Verdell Jones isn't a big time point guard, he's good though and they win with him. Teague isn't a big time point guard, he just has 5 NBA players around him. He should average 10 assists a game with that talent.

You need good guards but you don't need Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo to win big in College basketball, you just need good players all around which it's starting to look like you guys have some pretty nice players, just need more of them.

I don't know what you peoples obsession with the big time point guard is.. you just need good players. Who is the Big time Point Guard for Georgetown? Michigan State? Indiana, Kentucky.. Verdell Jones isn't a big time point guard, he's good though and they win with him. Teague isn't a big time point guard, he just has 5 NBA players around him. He should average 10 assists a game with that talent.

You need good guards but you don't need Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo to win big in College basketball, you just need good players all around which it's starting to look like you guys have some pretty nice players, just need more of them.
Big time PGs put a team over the top and make the whole team better. Guard play is also the most important part of college basketball.

If you don't already understand the need for a big time point guard in college basketball, then I can't explain it to you.

Interesting selection of teams... You realize Teague is a projected first round pick and Appling is one of the better players in the big ten this year, right?

2011 Champions: UConn - Kemba Walker
2010 Champions: Duke - Scheyer, Nolan Smith
2009 Champions: UNC - Ty Lawson
2008 Champions: Kansas - Mario Chalmers

Champions have big time guard play.

I agree that to become a true elite level squad, you need a big time guard, but I don't think it has to be in that traditional point guard sense.

Dre was making plays off the dribble, and that's exactly what we need in our guards, the ability to get in the lane and make things happen. He doesn't have to have that pure point vision where he's driving and going Rubio on us. But if our guards can just put pressure on defenses by being able to attack the rim off the dribble, and in Dre's case, also be a threat from the outside, we're gonna be able to go far with that. He showed all aspects in that game, the drive and finish (and 1), a pull up mid range jumper, and also the long range game. It was fun to see.

That was my favorite takeaway from that game, watching Dre Hollins "come alive" and produce some huge plays for us, cause he was definitely kinda in a funk there after the ankle injury, so it was good to see him show out there, especially in OT like that.

Dre's been a very talented guard who will continue to be a " work in progress" when it comes to the point guard position. It does not come natural for him but he has all the attributes needed. I also think he is very coachable, the last 3-4 games he has been much more aggressive taking it to the basket. That's something about 4 games ago Tubby said the entire team needed ,to be aggressive.

i keep saying he needs more minutes despite his occasional turnover... hes the only guy on a stagnant offensive team that can make tough shots whether it be a step back jumper, driving the basket or deep threes.. i think once he feels more comfortable with the offense and doesn't turn the ball over he will be a big offensive weapon for us, also taking the ball to the hole he can do that as good as anyone besides Coleman. we have a very good freshmen class

Top Bottom