An honest question

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
Why does this always seem to happen? Missed free throws. Stupid turnovers. Bricked shots. Botched rebounds. Click, the opposition is right back in the game, and then...boom, Minnesota is losing. This has been a discouraging trend of Tubby Smith's teams at Minnesota. Instead of getting all pissed and saying this team sucks and I quit watching, I'm going to ask a civil question: Why does this happen? Is it the players? The coaches? Or a combination of both? It's bizarre. Tonight's loss is a complete dagger in the heart of Gopher fans and more profoundly, the team. Essentially zero chance at an NCAA Tournament berth and another disgusting and sour losing season. I will continue to watch and support the team, but with the Timberwolves playing an exciting brand of ball (and winning a little) my attention may begin to sway toward the basketball team in Minneapolis that actually has a chance to beat really good team.

PS-A loss to the Badgers this season would simply be mind-numbing.

It's college basketball in general. Nova was up big on Marquette and lost today. Momentum is unreal in college.

Why does this always seem to happen? Missed free throws. Stupid turnovers. Bricked shots. Botched rebounds. Click, the opposition is right back in the game, and then...boom, Minnesota is losing. This has been a discouraging trend of Tubby Smith's teams at Minnesota. Instead of getting all pissed and saying this team sucks and I quit watching, I'm going to ask a civil question: Why does this happen? Is it the players? The coaches? Or a combination of both? It's bizarre. Tonight's loss is a complete dagger in the heart of Gopher fans and more profoundly, the team. Essentially zero chance at an NCAA Tournament berth and another disgusting and sour losing season. I will continue to watch and support the team, but with the Timberwolves playing an exciting brand of ball (and winning a little) my attention may begin to sway toward the basketball team in Minneapolis that actually has a chance to beat really good team.

PS-A loss to the Badgers this season would simply be mind-numbing.

Quoted for future reference.....just. in. case. ;)

unreal....I was convinced they were going to lose! How exciting. A little premature (and immature) on my part! Crazy!

unreal....I was convinced they were going to lose! How exciting. A little premature (and immature) on my part! Crazy!

Meh...you may want to wait a little longer next time before proclaiming a loss! :)

Other than the loss part, BigGopherFan asked a completely legitimate question that I don't have the answer to. The Gophers go through these stretches where they literally can't do anything right. As an example, when Ralph finally made a FT to break a horrendous draught for the Gophers, they turned around and gave up a transition layup off a made free throw. The bigger problem is obviously the inability to score in the half court "offense", but the Gophers tend to crumble in all areas during their usual "lull" in games. Against teams like Michigan State, that "lull" is enough to turn a competitive game in to a blowout and against poor teams that "lull" is enough to give them the confidence that they can play with the Gophers.

I call it drawing even. MN beat Illinois in Champaign, this evened the score. Either way Myers is King of the Turds. Eat it, hairlip. And yes, I'm aware he had a difficult childhood. Join the f'ing club.

I call it drawing even. MN beat Illinois in Champaign, this evened the score. Either way Myers is King of the Turds. Eat it, hairlip. And yes, I'm aware he had a difficult childhood. Join the f'ing club.

The funny thing is, whether the Myers foul was valid or not, he put MN in a position to make it to overtime. In the Assembly Hall game, he clearly put MN in a position to win. Only a sophomore, but really needs to cut down on the turnovers.

This is now the second time you have done this exact same thing. You RIPPED Tubby and the Gophers I believe for "losing" to Penn State a few years back and posted a long post on the board not realizing we came back and won in OT. You then got mad at the admins for not allowing you to edit or delete your thread.

Go Gophers!!

Other than the loss part, BigGopherFan asked a completely legitimate question that I don't have the answer to. The Gophers go through these stretches where they literally can't do anything right. As an example, when Ralph finally made a FT to break a horrendous draught for the Gophers, they turned around and gave up a transition layup off a made free throw. The bigger problem is obviously the inability to score in the half court "offense", but the Gophers tend to crumble in all areas during their usual "lull" in games. Against teams like Michigan State, that "lull" is enough to turn a competitive game in to a blowout and against poor teams that "lull" is enough to give them the confidence that they can play with the Gophers.

It may be a legitimate question, but I don't like having the "what's wrong with this team?" question after wins. I have a rule that I don't find fault in games that we win and I fairly rarely find the good in games we lose. Only two things can happen in a college basketball game, you can win or you can lose. If we win, we could not have achieved a better result and if we lose we could not have achieved a worse one, regardless of how it looked or what the score was.

Aside from the elite teams with upper-class guards, you watch these college games and see the choke factor repeating itself over and over. Arguably, IL choked last night with poor D in the last 2 minutes. So it goes all ways.

Whenever someone says, "Honest question," it's a virtual guarantee that it's not even close to honest.

It's a totally legitimate question, because the type of thing described in the OP never happens to other teams. Especially not the T-Wolves or any other team on any level of basketball anywhere. Unless it's the Gophers, if a team gets down by 10, they may as well save their energy. No chance of a comeback. Go back to your Badger-board, BigBadgerFan.

This is now the second time you have done this exact same thing. You RIPPED Tubby and the Gophers I believe for "losing" to Penn State a few years back and posted a long post on the board not realizing we came back and won in OT. You then got mad at the admins for not allowing you to edit or delete your thread.

Go Gophers!!
But but but he's such a big Gopher fan!!!!!!!!!111!11!!11!!!!!

Glad everyone on here spent their energy ripping me after such a solid win. Human nature I guess. It's very easy to attack someone on the Internet, even when your beloved team just pulled off a magical win.

Glad you spent your energy posting your original rant while your beloved team was down but not out. Human nature I guess. It's very easy to anonymously attack your beloved team on the internet when you think they are going to lose.

Glad everyone on here spent their energy ripping me after such a solid win. Human nature I guess. It's very easy to attack someone on the Internet, even when your beloved team just pulled off a magical win.

If you don't like being called out, just take a breath and wait until the game is completely over before posting stuff like this. All you have to do is wait a little bit and you can avoid the "attacks." Not that hard.

Glad you spent your energy posting your original rant while your beloved team was down but not out. Human nature I guess. It's very easy to anonymously attack your beloved team on the internet when you think they are going to lose.

Bingo!! Good post. BigGopherFan sounds kind of pathetic complaining about personal attacks when he wrote the exact same post twice now before a game was over only to see us win both games and then complain about the replies. If you're going to be a dink, at least own it. If you're going to be a dink twice, at least own it even more.

Bingo!! Good post. BigGopherFan sounds kind of pathetic complaining about personal attacks when he wrote the exact same post twice now before a game was over only to see us win both games and then complain about the replies. If you're going to be a dink, at least own it. If you're going to be a dink twice, at least own it even more.

Twice? That was about the 15th time he's done it.

Not only is BigGopherFan a BIG Gopher fan, but he's so devoted he's never watched any other college basketball in his life. Kudos.

BGF definitely proves my theory that in this world there are more horses a$$es than there are horses.

If you're going to be a dink, at least own it. If you're going to be a dink twice, at least own it even more.

Ya. Look at Art as your role model. He prides himself on that.

Top Bottom