Can I get a refund for watching the last 15 minutes of that Badger game?

Block M

Reaction score
Badgers. Are. Painful. To Watch.

Its "winning" basketball, I guess. But at the cost of being almost unwatchable.

last year bruz was comic relief... scrapping, etc.

this year he's a punk.

it make me physically ill watching the skunks.. they out-flop Duke.

but payback always comes: like Duke, they are early-exits in the big dance because the refs let-em-play..

but the grinch and K could care less.. they just want to pad their W stats.

Bo Ryan is the devil and the Kohl Center is hell. I can't imagine being a fan of that brand of basketball. Although, I feel like college basketball is slow and plodding everywhere, with the Badgers truly being an exception. I'd love to see someone run Paul Westhead's system from LMU. When was the last time a team averaged 100+ a game?

I'd love to see someone run Paul Westhead's system from LMU. When was the last time a team averaged 100+ a game?

I think Virginia Military was just over 100 in 2006-07. Yep, just looked.. I'm seeing 100.9 ppg.

In high school.. I think it was sophomore year.. we would come out of the team huddles with 'Marymount on three'.. but, there were a lot of times when we'd fire up a quick trey on a fast break and get yelled at.. 'umm, coach.. what about that Marymount stuff?'.

...that Indiana team that I heard so many great things about is now under .500 in Big 1? play.

Bo Ryan is the devil and the Kohl Center is hell. I can't imagine being a fan of that brand of basketball. Although, I feel like college basketball is slow and plodding everywhere, with the Badgers truly being an exception. I'd love to see someone run Paul Westhead's system from LMU. When was the last time a team averaged 100+ a game?

I think westhead was ahead of his time.. no one exploited the 3 like he did.. and teams didn't know how to defend it.. they didn't take it seriously.. didn't that team blow away Michigan in the big dance? they were the defending champs with the core of their team back... i think some dude was 10 of 12 from downtown.. that'd be like 20 of 24 now.. unreal..

Not sure who I was pulling for in this game

My son asked me which team we want to lose (based on what is best for Tubby's Boys). Of course I answered "both", but I think at the end of the day IU losing was probably best for Minny. We need to get ahead of them in the standings.

My dad (Becky fan) always says, "first one to 50 wins." It's funny how true that turns out to be a lot of times.

People over here usually claim that true "students of the game" appreciate the way they play. I think that's stupid.

but payback always comes: like Duke, they are early-exits in the big dance because the refs let-em-play..
When they don't have a wide open road to the sweet 16 paved with gold, rose petals and 14 seeds.

A lot of the refs in the NCAAs have never had to deal with a live uncaged ape on the sidelines and understandably get scared.

Ryan is one of the best coaches. Any moron knows his coaching style so why watch them play and then whine about it. on THE GOPHERHOLE

Even Dan Wetzel, the Rivals columnist agrees, having to choose from watching the worse of two evils last night:

Painfully bad idea. Might cause me to watch Wisconsin basketball

Wisconsin, and Minnesota to a degree, are why Lionel Hollins can't stand watching college basketball.

Tubby's doing a bit better this year with the pace, but Wisconsin? Yuck.

People over here usually claim that true "students of the game" appreciate the way they play. I think that's stupid.

I appreciate how they limit careless turnovers. But other than that, it's unbearable to watch. I chose Jersey Shore instead of watching the end of the game last night.

Tubby's doing a bit better this year with the pace, but Wisconsin? Yuck.

FWIW, the Gophers are playing at a pace of 64.9 possessions per game, good for 259th in the country. Last year they were at 66.2 for 192nd. 2010 was 66.4 for 211th. 2009 was 65.5 for 214th. 2008 was 66.1 for 195th.

This is the slowest a Tubby-coached Gopher team has played.

FWIW, the Gophers are playing at a pace of 64.9 possessions per game, good for 259th in the country. Last year they were at 66.2 for 192nd. 2010 was 66.4 for 211th. 2009 was 65.5 for 214th. 2008 was 66.1 for 195th.

This is the slowest a Tubby-coached Gopher team has played.

My "Stat Source" shows the Gophers at 67 Possessions per game. Good for 2nd-T (Iowa) in the Big10. Only behind tOSU. Wisconsin is last in the B1G, fittingly. MSU is 7th in the B1G at 64 per game.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/conferences/big-ten/team_stats?season=2011-2012

2011-2012 - 2nd in B1G - 67
2010-2011 - 8th in B1G - 62
2009-2010 - 4th in B1G - 64
2008-2009 - 4th in B1G - 63
2007-2008 - 3rd in B1G - 65

My conclusion is that they are playing somewhat faster this year. A
Big Ten has a lot less possessions per game than other conferences, well, because they actually play defense. Teams don't jack up a shot within 3 seconds of the shot clock like they do in the SEC or Pac 12.

My "Stat Source" shows the Gophers at 67 Possessions per game. Good for 2nd-T (Iowa) in the Big10. Only behind tOSU. Wisconsin is last in the B1G, fittingly. MSU is 7th in the B1G at 64 per game.

Big Ten has a lot less possessions per game than other conferences, well, because they actually play defense. Teams don't jack up a shot within 3 seconds of the shot clock like they do in the SEC or Pac 12.

There are different ways to estimate possessions.. but, a couple of things to note:
kenpom.com highlights the adjusted tempo.. this adjusts the raw pace numbers based on consideration of the opponent.
statsheet.com - scher, you could do the math and verify, but I think they are showing total possessions / games. Because of the double OT game vs. Illinois, Minnesota's possessions per game that you're looking at are probably inflated by approximately 2/Big Ten game.

Here is the reality:
Nonconference - Gophers played slower this year as compared to 2010-11.
Conference - Gophers have played faster. Their pace last year was sloooow.
Combined - Gophers have played slower.

Sounds familiar...

This fall there has been talk of running and gunning along with full court pressure and lots of transition points that will be on display at The Barn in 2011-12. While the Gophers tempo will probably increase by a couple of possessions in Big Ten play due to last year as the comparable, don’t expect much of what’s been advertised.

Ahh yes, the good old player previews article.

OP question: "Can I get a refund for watching the last 15 minutes of that Badger game?"

I shall hereby refund your Mid-July, car trunk warm Blatz Light.

That metaphor sounds about right

for Badger basketball.

Here is the reality:
Nonconference - Gophers played slower this year as compared to 2010-11.
Conference - Gophers have played faster. Their pace last year was sloooow.
Combined - Gophers have played slower.

Sounds familiar...

Ahh yes, the good old player previews article.

Let us know when your arm gets sore. We'll be sure to get you some ice so you can get right back to patting yourself on the back like you do so well and so consistently.

Ryan is one of the best coaches. Any moron knows his coaching style so why watch them play and then whine about it. on THE GOPHERHOLE

so i'm not a moron!... and thats why i watch & whine.

I think westhead was ahead of his time.. no one exploited the 3 like he did.. and teams didn't know how to defend it.. they didn't take it seriously.. didn't that team blow away Michigan in the big dance? they were the defending champs with the core of their team back... i think some dude was 10 of 12 from downtown.. that'd be like 20 of 24 now.. unreal..

149 - 115... one of the greatest games in big dance history.. Michigan had 5? future NBAers:

http://www.lmulions.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/022405aal.html

2011-2012 - 2nd in B1G - 67
2010-2011 - 8th in B1G - 62
2009-2010 - 4th in B1G - 64
2008-2009 - 4th in B1G - 63
2007-2008 - 3rd in B1G - 65

And going back to Westhead, he always said, "I want LMU to take 100 shots a game and hit half of them." How often that actually happened I'm not sure, but it's the exact opposite of nearly every team in this era that wants to limit possessions.

And going back to Westhead, he always said, "I want LMU to take 100 shots a game and hit half of them." How often that actually happened I'm not sure, but it's the exact opposite of nearly every team in this era that wants to limit possessions.

Worth noting that the only head coaching Westhead has done since 1997 is on women's teams. Prior to that he rung up a 38-70 record at George Mason. Prior to that, in the NBA, he had a 44-120 record.

That is really something to aspire to.

Top Bottom