Maturi: "The Barn... has probably served its time."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per these tweets from Doogie:

"Taped weekly chat w/ Maturi: "The Barn... has probably served its time... I do think it's something that's definitely necessary." #Gophers"

"(con.) Said because they'll need state $, it's at least a few years away, 5ish, when he'll be gone. "It'll be for the next AD," Maturi said."

Go Gophers!!

old arenas work and are nostalgic when the team wins.

When the team is poor-to-fair the arena is just plain old.

Start getting a consistent winner and nobody will complain about the barn. except for opponents.

I think you upgrade the Barn to a level like Cameron Indoor. And you just build the best practice facility possible.

I'm torn on replacing the barn, but many other schools make old arenas work.

I love the Barn, but we really need a new arena. Take the existing site and build something reminiscent of the Barn (see Missouri's arena), but with all the modern bells and whistle. We really missed the boat when we built Mariucci. Should have built a new arena then.

Burn the place down and build a basketball compound.

Burn the place down

You don't burn brick and steel, not to mention historic buildings.

Long live the barn. Put up a practice facility and see what Tubby's successor can do with it.

By the way, Boogie should find a new line of work.

Wheelwright said:
old arenas work and are nostalgic when the team wins.

When the team is poor-to-fair the arena is just plain old.

Start getting a consistent winner and nobody will complain about the barn. except for opponents.
As simple as this ^

Was Maturi speaking in code? (Barn = Maturi)

I would hate to see the Barn go. Give 5 to 10 mil for Barn upgrades, and build a REALLY nice practice facility. I want the Barn to stay.

I would hate to see the barn go as well, BUT...

There are so many bad seats, the student section (not the fans, the seating..even Penn St has sideline seating for students) is not up to par with the other top schools. I think they need to do something.

Does anyone know if, with the new ticket system next year, upper deck tickets will be priced lower? It really sucks to pay $35 for a seat behind a pole while someone is paying $35 to sit center court.

I'd probably lean towards upgrading it, not replacing it, make it a tad more appealing when empty.

Speaking of time served. Get the F out of Dodge Maturi. If you had your way you would build something like the Kohl Center which is a spinoff of a gloified Kohl bathroom.

Maturi is the one that "has served it's time". Remodel the barn and build a practice facility. One thing for sure...don't let Maturi make the decision either way.

Speaking of time served. Get the F out of Dodge Maturi. If you had your way you would build something like the Kohl Center which is a spinoff of a gloified Kohl bathroom.

He was heavily involved in the building of TCF Bank Stadium and by all accounts that's a grand-slam. So, not sure why you say this.

That said, just step-down please, Maturi.......

Maturi is the one that "has served it's time". Remodel the barn and build a practice facility. One thing for sure...don't let Maturi make the decision either way.

This!

List of important issues:

1. Get Maturi out of here!

2. Build a hoops practice facility.

3. Build a baseball stadium.

112. Consider replacing the Barn.

113. Realize that #112 is a dumb idea.

This!

Tikited- realistically- you are probably right. But what if either replacing or remodeling the Barn makes the most sense in conjuction with the practice facility project. I really like the idea someone had a week or so back about repurposing the Pavillion side into the practice facility and doing a nice redo of the inside of the Barn including additions to the South side to create nice corridor and vending space. Point is that combining may be a more effective use of the dollar. I still think they should piggyback on the Vikings project. If the dome site is chosen -yuck- the Vikes would need to rent the Bank and we might be able to get the Barn/Practice facility remodel out of that somehow.

This!

+1

I love the Barn. I would also be ok with a new arena as long as it's not an nba style arena with its cavernous empty spaces - which I'm worried it could be. Those things do not belong on college campuses.

Tikited- realistically- you are probably right. But what if either replacing or remodeling the Barn makes the most sense in conjuction with the practice facility project. I really like the idea someone had a week or so back about repurposing the Pavillion side into the practice facility and doing a nice redo of the inside of the Barn including additions to the South side to create nice corridor and vending space. Point is that combining may be a more effective use of the dollar. I still think they should piggyback on the Vikings project. If the dome site is chosen -yuck- the Vikes would need to rent the Bank and we might be able to get the Barn/Practice facility remodel out of that somehow.

The Barn will be replaced sometime in the not too distant future, whether people like it or not. Redoing the SP for a practice facility would be throwing away good money. I think it is pretty obvious why the design for the practice facility is a stand-alone behind the Barn.

With probably 90 to 100 million for a new arena, don't think it will be a piggy-back on vike stadium bill. I doubt the Vikes will play at TCF anyway. NFL doesn't want to play at TCF and Mpls doesn't want to contribute.

I look for the Arden Hills site to come back in the lead this week. Next week who knows.

I love the Barn. I would also be ok with a new arena as long as it's not an nba style arena with its cavernous empty spaces - which I'm worried it could be. Those things do not belong on college campuses.

That will never happen.

We've learned how to design and build sports venues since the 70's crap.

I love it, but I agree, it's time. You could renovate it, but widening the concourses and bathrooms, probably couldn't happen. With a new facility you could put the practice facility as a part of it and add additional amenities.

This!

All in favor?

Yes, nothing lasts forever, but even if you think the building is outliving its usefulness, there's lots of other priorities ahead of replacing it. That said, I don't think it hurts to do some long-range master planning with contingencies for both keeping and trashing the Barn. That would be smart and would maximize the ultimate functionality of a practice building. Echoing others, let's let the next AD handle that one. The simpleton putz we have now has no chance of getting it right.

That will never happen.

We've learned how to design and build sports venues since the 70's crap.

I would say the last three basketball arenas built in the big ten (all in the late 90s) are all nba style arenas. I'm just saying I'm concerned that a new venue would end up looking more like Target Center (1990) then a classic college venue with nice amenities incorporated. I'm hopeful that wouldn't be the case.

At this point, I'm more concerned about the practice facility than the barn itself. Eventually, the barn will have to go (I've kind of accepted it, as much as I hate to say it). But for now, the practice facility should be first and foremost the priority as it pertains to the basketball program imo. Until Maturi or some other administrator at the U can get that thing done, any discussion of replacing the barn seems far-fetched at best. In other words, I kind of look at this issue as more of Maturi spit-balling, which he seems to do ad naseum.

Maturi is clearly on the way out with that comment.
You don't suggest something that is logicaticaly impossible in the medium or short term future if you are the one that'd be in charge of getting it done.

For the record I think the barn hurts the program more than it helps it.

I would say the last three basketball arenas built in the big ten (all in the late 90s) are all nba style arenas. I'm just saying I'm concerned that a new venue would end up looking more like Target Center (1990) then a classic college venue with nice amenities incorporated. I'm hopeful that wouldn't be the case.

I suppose there is always a chance but I just don't see anything other than something 'remembering the Barn' being built. Kind of like TCF. It is one thing I have confidence in.

Top Bottom