Hey Barn Yard!!!

From the Barn

Reaction score
Time to step up and pull your weight.

Be loud, be involved, get in Illinois' heads. Embarrass us "old folks" with your fervor to the point we have to cheer.

Bring friends, family. Go pull a 20 out of a cash machine, and drag some random people to the barn and buy them a ticket.

Prove the doubters wrong. Show that U of M students do actually care about their classmates enough to watch a basketball game on a saturday night. It is a 7 pm game, plenty of time to pre-party, watch basketball, and then party some more. Those wings at Burrito Loco aren't going anywhere.

Step up, seriously.

Time to step up and pull your weight.

Be loud, be involved, get in Illinois' heads. Embarrass us "old folks" with your fervor to the point we have to cheer.

Bring friends, family. Go pull a 20 out of a cash machine, and drag some random people to the barn and buy them a ticket.

Prove the doubters wrong. Show that U of M students do actually care about their classmates enough to watch a basketball game on a saturday night. It is a 7 pm game, plenty of time to pre-party, watch basketball, and then party some more. Those wings at Burrito Loco aren't going anywhere.

Step up, seriously.

+1,000 BIG BIG BIG GAME!

Unfortunately, I think that if a fellow student is a member of GopherHole and reading this, they aren't the ones needing the pep talk. I feel you though, we need all of the average fans to show up and be loud. A combination of lack of die-hard fans and an annually mediocre team doesn't help the cause,but hopefully we can show you guys something Saturday night. Let's get that Barn rocking once again.

That's why the students that are here need to drag some more people along. It is everyone's responsibility to fill the barn.

That's why the students that are here need to drag some more people along. It is everyone's responsibility to fill the barn.

Right back at you. Trying to get the non-student section to even raise their voice much less stand up is like raising the dead. Granted I am pretty drunk at games so it doesn't effect me, but staring out at the Mausoleum that is the rest of Williams Arena doesn't exactly get a student excited.

- I get that the game should be providing a spark, I do, but it would be nice to see the non-students inject some energy in the barn once.

Right back at you. Trying to get the non-student section to even raise their voice much less stand up is like raising the dead. Granted I am pretty drunk at games so it doesn't effect me, but staring out at the Mausoleum that is the rest of Williams Arena doesn't exactly get a student excited.

- I get that the game should be providing a spark, I do, but it would be nice to see the non-students inject some energy in the barn once.

I do my part from the rafters. Us "old" folks need to bring it on saturday too.

here we go again! we've had this argument a million times on this board.

the bottom line is this, our student section is one of the least creative student sections around. they rarely surprise, rarely come up with new chants and rarely intimidate our opponents.

likewise our non students at the barn have gotten older and less loud as well. they are content sitting too often and are going more towards the gopher football crowd than the old gopher basketball crowd and that's not a good trend.

both groups need to step up equally.

This isn't a "here we go again" situation, or an argument. It is a call to arms to all Gopher fans. Fill The Barn!!

Unfortunately, I think that if a fellow student is a member of GopherHole and reading this, they aren't the ones needing the pep talk. I feel you though, we need all of the average fans to show up and be loud. A combination of lack of die-hard fans and an annually mediocre team doesn't help the cause,but hopefully we can show you guys something Saturday night. Let's get that Barn rocking once again.

+1. It shouldn't be all on the backs of the student section.

I pointed out the student section initially for two reasons:

1. It has been pretty empty this season, and it should be a lot easier to get young people to walk across campus and pay a few bucks for a ticket vs. getting old folks to drive across town and pay more.

2. The students are capable of being rowdy. Everyone else? Probably not.

And frankly, if the Students can't do something to get into Meyers Leonard's head, they really should be ashamed. he's a classic headcase, one just waiting to be taunted to tears.....

And frankly, if the Students can't do something to get into Meyers Leonard's head, they really should be ashamed. he's a classic headcase, one just waiting to be taunted to tears.....

Call him Leonard Meyers. That will eat at him!!!

I always wonder if it is the makeup of williams that makes the student section seem so dead. Granted it illegitimately is dead a lot, but I have been in there a bunch of times and it is rocking but it doesn't come off that way on television. Could the fact that half of it is underneath an overhang dilute the noise?

If the University really wants to commit to gopher basketball they should give students a sliver of the baseline (In addition to a practice facility obviously).

Stand up and be loud and sneer. We need the Barn to be like the night of the riot against tOSU. I loved it, it was switchblade crowd. An hour before game time it was like a kennal of junkyard dogs.

I'd really like to see that.

I find the student section rowdiness, cohesiveness, creativity, committment and general enthusiasim to be inversely proportional to the defensiveness of said group on this forum. Did anyone here watch the MSU game? That's a student section. I didn't see any of those guys complaining about the folks at Breslin Center that weren't "at their level." Don't tell me ours is anywhere near that. Don't tell Joe Coleman either.............

Saturday night game? Get your pregame on, ladies(?) and gentlemen. I wish I could be at this game.

I find the student section rowdiness, cohesiveness, creativity, committment and general enthusiasim to be inversely proportional to the defensiveness of said group on this forum. Did anyone here watch the MSU game? That's a student section. I didn't see any of those guys complaining about the folks at Breslin Center that weren't "at their level." Don't tell me ours is anywhere near that. Don't tell Joe Coleman either.............

I completely agree, we're nowhere near MSU. I've never argued that our student section is great, because we are definitely average, at best. All I was saying is that trying to give a pep-talk to the few students who are committed enough to have GopherHole accounts isn't really going to do a whole lot to change the overall energy of the student section. We need all of the students who don't have a clue about basketball to be at the game in order for it to be rowdy. Given it's a Saturday night, I would have to imagine it'll be the loudest, most-packed game of the year. I wish it could be like that the whole season.

too many crusties

10+ years of mediocre basketball and little hope of anything other than that tends to subdue a crowd.

Surround the court with students and get the old crusties further away where their loud-breathing and occassional clapping stops crushing the atmosphere.

I completely agree, we're nowhere near MSU. I've never argued that our student section is great, because we are definitely average, at best. All I was saying is that trying to give a pep-talk to the few students who are committed enough to have GopherHole accounts isn't really going to do a whole lot to change the overall energy of the student section. We need all of the students who don't have a clue about basketball to be at the game in order for it to be rowdy. Given it's a Saturday night, I would have to imagine it'll be the loudest, most-packed game of the year. I wish it could be like that the whole season.

Agree completely with your entire post. You are right, we are preaching to the choir.

10+ years of mediocre basketball and little hope of anything other than that tends to subdue a crowd.

Yep.

Surround the court with students and get the old crusties further away where their loud-breathing and occassional clapping stops crushing the atmosphere.

That would be awesome. Not gunna happen; seating plan is in place for the future. That ship has sailed. So let's get over it and work with what we have.

I doubt the majority of College arenas nationwide are much different than Williams. The difference is in fact the student sections. They are the engine that drive the train. All that would be accomplished by putting our students courtside would be wasting a lot of good seats (TCF Stadium student section anyone). There are some really good die hard Barnyard members like the gorillas of a few years back and those that dress up as barnyard animals the past few years and others but over all the majority of the students don't really get into it. We are lucky to get the student section filled most nights. When we do there is not a lot of creativity. Unless it is a really good game, our students lose their enthusiasm pretty quick. But then if it's a really good game the entire arena gets into it.

Until our students, as a body, can prove they deserve to be up close keep them where they are. Once they prove they belong up front I will be all for giving them the whole front half of sec 107. But I doubt that will ever happen.

And yes I agree. We are preaching to the chior.

That crowd was pretty nuts. They got in my head. It would also help if the student seats were surrounding the court like that. I also recall students complaining about the U jacking up the prices for a very mediocre team, so that doesn't help.

As opposed to the 25-50 year olds that don't show up?

As a 20-year, 40-something season-ticket holder who doesn't mind investing himself in the game, I must say I get a hoot out of some of the young'uns here begging for the prime seats. Fill the student section for B1G games night in and night out, THEN WE'LL TALK. Until then, take your (inexpensive) seats behind the basket, be loud and be creative & come up with something other than "these refs suck" on occasion. Prove (in numbers) that you'll support the Gophers, then I think a move to (some of) the prime seats can be discussed.

As a 20-year, 40-something season-ticket holder who doesn't mind investing himself in the game, I must say I get a hoot out of some of the young'uns here begging for the prime seats. Fill the student section for B1G games night in and night out, THEN WE'LL TALK. Until then, take your (inexpensive) seats behind the basket, be loud and be creative & come up with something other than "these refs suck" on occasion. Prove (in numbers) that you'll support the Gophers, then I think a move to (some of) the prime seats can be discussed.

This is spot on, and I'm a student. The student section is lousy, and students have no business complaining about the rest of the arena. The Barnyard has gotten progressively worse over the course of my four years here. I think there's a variety of causes. Quality of play and of the entire experience (the ad nauseum discussion of promotions and marketing gimmicks) haven't helped. And I really think the sportsmanship initiative has really taken some of the steam out of the sails of the student section. I have no problem with promoting sportsmanship, but the initiative does it by telling people what they can't do; the sportsmanship initiative has been around for 2-3 years; and each of those years has witnessed a reduction in the intensity of the student section, both in basketball and, probably even more noticeably, in hockey.

Top Bottom