Do you have any superstitions?

I’ve sworn off...

superstitions. I have come to the conclusion that where I park, what I wear, what I eat, where I eat, who I’m with, what underwear I have on and where I sit in the basement in front of the TV seem to have no bearing on game outcomes. It was the Monson years that that made me see the light. Almost nothing worked, and if “it” worked one time, it would never work when you really needed it. I was walking to the parking lot after “the Illinois game” (you know the one) when I said “I’m done, this $h1t just don’t work." I’ve been superstition free ever since. I might go home and break a mirror this evening just for grins.

When I was a kid, I used to watch games laying on the floor right in front of the TV. If somebody I didn't like was shooting a free throw, I'd throw a Koosh ball at the screen in an attempt to try and distract him. Safe to say this was long, long before the days of razor-thin LED screens.

I love the Koosh Ball move. I might have to try that on the old set in the garage.

As for not having any, I'm also leaning towards going that way as well. It is kind of silly to think that something you do will have an outcome on the game.

It is kind of fun though....right?

I have one. When I REALLY want my team to win, I cross my fingers and hope they hire a coach that can coach.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a weird time for someone to be this bitter and angry and putting this much time and energy into making sure everyone knows exactly how much you hate Tubby and how much you think the team sucks. We're on a 3 game winning streak and are coming off a 23 point win. We had a bad start, but we've more than rebounded (we're projected to make the NCAA tournament) and the season is moving in a positive direction. Why so mad? Is it because you're a Kentucky hillbilly who ran out of moonshine and you're bored of playing your banjo?

Why so mad? Is it because you're a Kentucky hillbilly who ran out of moonshine and you're bored of playing your banjo?

I think that is about right. He's just upset that Tubby's team has handed Indiana their only home loss. Something that the Kentucky couldn't.

My only superstition is this: When I have no beer it is gonna be a bad day.

Cold beer>warm beer; warm beer>no beer; no beer = empty fridge; empty fridge = bummer

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a weird time for someone to be this bitter and angry and putting this much time and energy into making sure everyone knows exactly how much you hate Tubby and how much you think the team sucks. We're on a 3 game winning streak and are coming off a 23 point win. We had a bad start, but we've more than rebounded (we're projected to make the NCAA tournament) and the season is moving in a positive direction. Why so mad? Is it because you're a Kentucky hillbilly who ran out of moonshine and you're bored of playing your banjo?

It's not just you. Maybe 'Whathavewedone' is a satirical GopherHole account.

Overall, am not very superstitious, but tried something for the Northwestern game and it worked (in my warped mind). I have a 1997 San Antonio Regional t-shirt from the Gophers' Final Four journey. Will wear it once in a blue moon when lounging around the condo, but that's it. Would never wear it in public (who wears a t-shirt dated 15 years ago?) where it's visible. So to help get the Gophers out of their home funk, I wore it underneath by sweatshirt for the NW game. Presto, the Gophers win playing arguably their best game of the season.

Needless to say, San Antonio '97 will be under my sweatshirt Saturday night when the Illini pay a visit.

Didn't used to but I do now: If your coworker puts a tattoo of his favorite team on his arm, that team will go into the tank.

Overall, am not very superstitious, but tried something for the Northwestern game and it worked (in my warped mind). I have a 1997 San Antonio Regional t-shirt from the Gophers' Final Four journey. Will wear it once in a blue moon when lounging around the condo, but that's it. Would never wear it in public (who wears a t-shirt dated 15 years ago?) where it's visible. So to help get the Gophers out of their home funk, I wore it underneath by sweatshirt for the NW game. Presto, the Gophers win playing arguably their best game of the season.

Needless to say, San Antonio '97 will be under my sweatshirt Saturday night when the Illini pay a visit.

If you're going that route you can't wash it in between.

I'm glad this thread is getting traction.

I didn't want to be the first nut case who responded. Yes: way to superstitious! After the Twins won the Series in 91 I believed that my positive thoughts and visualizations had an effect on the outcome. So, the Gophers 97 run was partially due to my positive influence. These days my biggest one, between family and friends: no one can utter the dreaded compound "o" word that ends with time. That will most certainly mean OT will occur. My dad was being an ass during the ILL game so I said the word to piss him off and look what happened, so I am personally sorry to you all for what I said...

I tend to wear a tshirt for whatever Minnesota (pro or college) team has a game that day when I work out in the gym. If there are multiple games that day, I try to think about which team's game is most important and wear that shirt. I don't track how effective my strategy is, I like assuming that it works and I have an impact on the games.

My superstition when playing sports is that I get unlucky if I play lazy and I get lucky if I work hard. Weird how that one always seems to work out.

My wife the witchdoctor

is feeling a win for tonight, she has been unbelievable this year with her predictions.

. These days my biggest one, between family and friends: no one can utter the dreaded compound "o" word that ends with time. That will most certainly mean OT will occur. My dad was being an ass during the ILL game so I said the word to piss him off and look what happened, so I am personally sorry to you all for what I said...

In a take off on this, no one watching the game with me can declare the game 'over' until it is. This was implemented after many terrible Gopher football games, specifically Glen Mason's last game at the Insight Bowl, when it was declared multiple times. The last time this occured was the basketball game at Illinois a couple years ago when we nearly blew a ~20 point lead, so I have to believe it's true.

Who said I hate the team? Or for that matter who said I hate Tubby? I said he can't coach.

Top Bottom