Northwestern post-game press conference notes from Welch, Coleman, Tubby & Carmody

GopherLady

Reaction score
Northwestern post-game press conference notes from Welch, Coleman, Tubby & Carmody

Carmody:
• Our offense was very bad. I wasn't displeased with our defense. We were never able to get on track. #Northwestern
• Every single guy on the Gophers out played any of our guys. That was disappointing. Gophers shot the heck out of the ball, and were getting layups.
• We may have waited too long to use the half court trap.
• I think maybe in another 3 weeks, the Big 10 will separate more, right now it's anyone's game.
• We lost a home game to IL, and we needed to get one back on the road, and we haven't.
• I don't know how to say it, but the Gophers are figuring out how to do it now.
• Rodney Williams is freakishly athletic. I would call him a 4 maybe, and he's better suited there.

Welch:
• I'm proud of our team, I feel like we came out of the gate and jumped out quick.
• I like our line-up a lot. We're a quicker team, we get up and down a lot quicker.
• Rodney did a great job on Shurna, made him frustrated in the 1st half.
• We've been focusing on 3 point D, Coach harped on us about that, so we've been working on that. We need to come out, get stops, and limit the 2nd chance points.

Coleman:
• Being in the starting line-up I'm getting the opportunity to make more plays.
• The last few games, offensively Ralph passed the ball well, but wasn't as successful with scoring. He got us started today.
• Sid asked - you don't shoot many 3 pointers do you? Coleman - no, no I don't.
• We started out in a slump and we got out of it. After the Purdue game, they hit a lot of 3's on us, we had to cut back on that.
• After his 1st dunk, Coleman was asked "were you legs a little tired after that?" since he missed the next one. Joe replied "No comment" smiling.
Tubby:
• I thought it was a good all around effort, a good balance in our attack, our kids executed to precision. We did a good job of limiting John Shurna in the game, he's a very good player. We did a good job on Drew Crawford. It helps when we had that much time to prepare, with the week off. They responded well.
• Joe Coleman's play has been contagious - everyone is more aggressive.
• You have to improve everyday in practice, we have a lot of games to play. We're not close to where we need to be. Attitudes have been good, guys are more upbeat and have more energy.
• We didn't handle the 1-3-1 well. NU is unique in that way, we're gaining confidence with every win.
• Does 3 wins feel good? No - I'd rather have 4 or 5 or more. We'll celebrate this victory for what it's worth, we caught NU on a down day. We've got 2 days to prepare for MSU, you savor it, but you have to move on.
• Ralph is healthier, he's getting treatment on his ankle like he should. We've also given him more rest at practice. He's getting stronger.
• We are one of the top defensive teams, a top shot blocking team. Joe has given us a real physical presences. Julian has more size at the point, and he's more physical than Maverick.
• These are college players, in shape, they should be ready to play every day.
• IT was important, huge, getting the 1st Big 10 home win. Losing to Purdue in front of our fans like that was disappointing. We owed it to ourselves, and our fans. Having the students back, having them involved, was beneficial.

Thanks GL.

Was The Barn pretty raucous with the students back?

Thanks Nadine.
Post game radio Tubby also gave kudos to Austin Hollins limiting Crawford today

Tubby:
• You have to improve everyday in practice, we have a lot of games to play. We're not close to where we need to be. Attitudes have been good, guys are more upbeat and have more energy.

I like that snippet a lot. Hopefully they can keep their energy and attitudes up for the rest of the season and keep getting better.

Thanks GL.

Was The Barn pretty raucous with the students back?

don I was at the game and I didn't think the crowd was very raucous. Don't get me wrong we outplayed them in all aspects of the game and the crowd was ok...but there were empty seats and I thought the barn lacked energy.

don I was at the game and I didn't think the crowd was very raucous. Don't get me wrong we outplayed them in all aspects of the game and the crowd was ok...but there were empty seats and I thought the barn lacked energy.

I agree with this, but with that being said, I think it was the best the crowd has been all year. To put that in perspective, I had a friend text me and ask "where are all the fans" as he hadn't been to a game this year....and I had to break it to them that this was the best turnout we've had.

The good news is, the fans did get into the gopher domination - which hopefully means when they keep on seeing play like this, and have something to cheer about, they can be a factor. Not yet, but soon...

Top Bottom