You Make the Call: Who Should be the New Minnesota AD?

Reaction score
Can we stipulate that it is 85 percent likely that Maturi is retiring and an AD will have to be hired? So have at it GH. Who should that be? We'll have the usual Tony Dungy fantasy. But who I ask, who? Must he have MN roots? Aren't we past the "the program must be cautious and walk the tight rope post Deinhart phase?"

Job qualifications:
Executive with demonstrated high level of performance. Manage multi-million dollar program. Improve athletic and financial performance. Restore confidence in program. Build support. Excellent communication, organization, decision making and business skills required.

Individual must be driven to excel.

Minnesota ties a plus but not required. Hire someone who can excel in this job.

Nicely played Dr.!

Boundout, the reasons I said "Mike Ditka" are several:

1. No affiliation with the U so he doesn't and won't be a kiss ass;
2. Grew up in the toughest neighborhood in Pennsylvania, became one tough sob;
3. Played Football for JoePa at Penn State, one tough sob;
4. Played in the NFL, one tough sob;
5. Head Coach in the NFL, one tough sob;
6. Knows what it takes to win as a player, one tough sob;
7. Knows what it takes to win as a coach, one tough sob;
8. Says "screw political correctness", one tough sob;

I could go on and on...this is what we need for an AD. If not Mike Ditka, then get one tough SOB like him for a new AD.
Then watch the whiners and criers come out of the wood work because he is "too mean to the kids" for "throwing them under the bus" bull$hit.

Boundout, the reasons I said "Mike Ditka" are several:

1. No affiliation with the U so he doesn't and won't be a kiss ass;
2. Grew up in the toughest neighborhood in Pennsylvania, became one tough sob;
3. Played Football for JoePa at Penn State, one tough sob;
4. Played in the NFL, one tough sob;
5. Head Coach in the NFL, one tough sob;
6. Knows what it takes to win as a player, one tough sob;
7. Knows what it takes to win as a coach, one tough sob;
8. Says "screw political correctness", one tough sob;

I could go on and on...this is what we need for an AD. If not Mike Ditka, then get one tough SOB like him for a new AD.
Then watch the whiners and criers come out of the wood work because he is "too mean to the kids" for "throwing them under the bus" bull$hit.
Played at Pitt.

Ray Williams...my mistake, you are correct. Still a tough sob who played at Pitt.

Someone with experience managing a major college athletic program in a pro-dominated market.

Hilarious! So essentially NO homegrown candidates come to mind? Do you think Bud Grant would come back?

I don't get why we need "homegrown" candidates. Who cares if they are from Minnesota? I care about whether or not they are good at the job.

Homegrown is not required at all; it's actually very telling however that there are no obvious homegrown candidates.

Homegrown is not required at all; it's actually very telling however that there are no obvious homegrown candidates.

Lou Nanne. He wouldn't do it, but he'd have us a practice facility in short order.

Not Romney! Seriously, Dave St. Peter, though he'd never take it.

Lou Nanne. He wouldn't do it, but he'd have us a practice facility in short order.

Our basketball program already suffers from being the number two-followed winter sport (and probably the seventh overall in the market). Putting a hockey guy in the AD chair would only make recruiting worse for BB.

What we need is a guy like Michigan State's Mark Hollis. He's an MSU grad, so he won't leave there to come here, but we need to find the next Mark Hollis.

Hollis is the type of 'out-of-box' thinker that would get things going in the right direction at Minnesota.

The outdoor hockey craze??? Guess who first did this? Mark Hollis did it with the first-ever "Cold War" between MSU-Mich at Spartan Stadium in 2001. The NHL and everyone else followed his lead.

The regular season "Basketbrawl" that set an all-time attendance record between Tubby's Kentucky team and Izzo's MSU team? Hollis did it.

Carrier Classic - basketball on an aircraft carrier??? Hollis' idea.

Possible matchup between Spartans (MSU) and Trojans (USC) in Greece at the stadium that hosted the first Olympics??? Hollis.

Hollis has also been one of Jim Delaney's go-to men in relation to the recent Big Ten/Pac 12 agreement.

Hollis' new idea (and I think a GREAT one) - play three of the Big Ten/Pac 12 basketball games outdoors at the ROSE BOWL at the SAME TIME on three courts set up side-by-side-by-side! All nationally televised on three different networks. Fans would watch three games that would likely start about 20 minutes apart. Might also do it at Ford Field. I just think it is remarkable marketing thinking.

We need a guy who thinks this way!!

Let's think about this a little. What are the key roles of an AD?

The AD does not absolutely have to be a "sports" person. The job is basically an administrative job - budgeting, scheduling, hiring personnel, working with coaches. The other big role is promoting the various athletic programs, and fund-raising for facility improvements. Sure, a sports background would be helpful, but I would take a skilled administrator and fund-raiser over a "sports" person any day of the week.

I would also suggest that it needs to be someone relatively youthful (need a lot of energy) and Very Important - someone who is media-savvy.

Put all that together, and I honestly can't come up with any names off the top of my head who are 'hometown' candidates. If you need the hometown people, you can hire them as assistants.

Someone help me out here - I think there is an ex-gopher FB player who's some kind of financial analyst - I think he's on CNBC or one of those networks. (can't think of the name). Someone like that, who knows money and the media might be a potential candidate.

Someone help me out here - I think there is an ex-gopher FB player who's some kind of financial analyst - I think he's on CNBC or one of those networks. (can't think of the name). Someone like that, who knows money and the media might be a potential candidate.
Peter Najarian

Top Bottom