Extension talks for Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith tabled

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Contract extension discussions will not take place for University of Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith until after the season, Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi and Smith told the Pioneer Press.

"I think it's best for everybody," Smith said today. "I know it's best for me."

Smith has completely changed his stance from previous public statements about his contract. He had been saying since before the season in October that the deal was basically done and could be finalized at any time.

Maturi said he was never part of the negotiating process, but "the only thing I've heard from (University) President (Eric) Kaler is that he doesn't really like discussions to go on during the course of the season."

"Some people feel that way," Maturi said. "I'm respectful of that. If that's the case, I don't think we have to worry about it. Tubby has got two more years. If indeed that means we start talking again in April and I get involved, I will look forward to it."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19790593

Go Gophers!!

Contract extension discussions will not take place for University of Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith until after the season, Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi and Smith told the Pioneer Press.

Smith has completely changed his stance from previous public statements about his contract. He had been saying since before the season in October that the deal was basically done and could be finalized at any time.

Maturi said he was never part of the negotiating process, but "the only thing I've heard from (University) President (Eric) Kaler is that he doesn't really like discussions to go on during the course of the season."

"Some people feel that way," Maturi said. "I'm respectful of that. If that's the case, I don't think we have to worry about it. Tubby has got two more years. If indeed that means we start talking again in April and I get involved, I will look forward to it."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19790593

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully MIACturi won't be part of the process

Since Tubby is God, probably. This is going to be a punch in the gut for Parski, FromtheBarn, PUD, DPdoll, etc.

Nothing wrong with this. He has two years left on his contract so there is no need to be discussing it during the season. It seems Kaler finds that to be a distraction.

Nothing wrong with this. He has two years left on his contract so there is no need to be discussing it during the season. It seems Kaler finds that to be a distraction.

Oh, so that's the reason? I thought Kaler has been the President for more than 6 months.

"Some people feel that way," Maturi said. "I'm respectful of that. If that's the case, I don't think we have to worry about it. Tubby has got two more years. If indeed that means we start talking again in April and I get involved, I will look forward to it." http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19790593

Go Gophers!!

Huh? What?

Unless I am missing something, we once again officially have a lame duck AD. No surprise.

I am concerned that Maturi is talking like he could be part of a major decision like this in APRIL....doesn't sound like a guy who's planning on retiring in July. Watch the Gophers miss the NCAA's, extend Tubby anyway, and still have Maturi as AD next fall (when the next Jerry Kill extension gets dicussed in between heats of Gopher rowing).

Who gives a blank. He has two years left and talking after the season sounds about right.

Kaler is a Tubby hater. I head that he actually wants to see some wins from the coach before he extends him. Doesn't he know this is Tubby Smith?

jamalo said:
Since Tubby is God, probably. This is going to be a punch in the gut for Parski, FromtheBarn, PUD, DPdoll, etc.
No Jamalo, Tubby is not God - just a good basketball coach.

Tubby isn't God. Nothing wrong with waiting to see how the season (or even next season) plays out first. I just wish the fans could wait until the season plays out before saying Tubby is the worst coach in the history of basketball.

Tubby isn't God. Nothing wrong with waiting to see how the season (or even next season) plays out first. I just wish the fans could wait until the season plays out before saying Tubby is the worst coach in the history of basketball.

Wow, hyperbole at it's finest. Please bump all posts calling Tubby the worst basketball coach in history. If you have to lie to make a point, there probably is no point.

Wow, hyperbole at it's finest. Please bump all posts calling Tubby the worst basketball coach in history. If you have to lie to make a point, there probably is no point.
It's called exaggeration, not lying.

zambam said:

Thanks ... I should have asked the previous poster to bump any threads where tubby is called god.

You call it whatever you want. His post says "people saying". The other poster said Tubby is God, probably. He did not accuse anyone of saying it. One is clearly exaggeration, the other is clearly lying to make a point.

You call it whatever you want. His post says "people saying". The other poster said Tubby is God, probably. He did not accuse anyone of saying it. One is clearly exaggeration, the other is clearly lying to make a point.
You can choose to split hairs if you like, but it's obvious to any reasonable person that both are exaggerating.

Thanks Joel for staying on top of things as always. I'm sure taking two years to complete a two-year contract extension will not raise any red flags with future coaching candidates. Obviously they will be excited to come work for such a top-notch AD.

You always need to consider who words are coming from... my recollection is that Maturi has consistently said things like, "there's no rush, he's under contract for a few more years", "I'm not worried about it", "I'm unaware of any new developments", etc... since before Kaler arrived...

Smith and his attorney are the ones who have said, "it's going to get done before next season", "it's done, just need to dot the i's and cross the t's", etc.

It's probably not a great sign that a school's coach and its administrators are apparently on completely different pages, but I'm not sure anything has really changed over the past many months, except for coach Smith changing his tune.

Disclaimer: that's just my recollection.. if Maturi or Kaler have indicated otherwise publicly, I simply missed it -- please point me to what they said. I don't get too excited about contract talks because most contracts are so easily broken and altered.

WEST Side Fish Wrapper

From the Sunday STRIB Amelia Rayno

U will not explore Smith extension until end of the season

A University of Minnesota athletics spokesman said Saturday that contract extension talks with coach Tubby Smith will be held off until the end of the season.

It is another continuation in a process that once seemed far more certain. Smith said in March 2011 that an extension is "just a matter of time." Again in October, Smith told media that the extension was essentially in its final stages and could be completed at any time.

It's not uncommon to avoid contract negotiations during a season, when the coaches are expected to focus all of their attention on the court. And Smith, who is in his fifth season at Minnesota, still has two years left on his original seven-year deal, meaning there is still ample time for an agreement.

But with President Eric Kaler new to his position and the future of athletic director Joel Maturi in doubt, the further delay is noteworthy.

The Gophers lost their first four conference games before bouncing back with consecutive road victories. They face Northwestern on Sunday at Williams Arena.

Top Bottom