Indiana win not looking as good as before...

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
They keep losing!!...just lost to Nebraska..It would have really benefited us if they could have kept winning...

This isn't football. It goes in the books at the time we beat them and not how good they are at the end of the season.

As long as Indiana still plays well at home, I think we'll be okay. We are the only team to go in there and get a W this season, so that bodes well for us I do believe!

We still have to win games and that ultimately is what matters.

Regardless, Indiana beat two of the top teams in the country in Kentucky and Ohio State, so they are a very good team worthy of a ranking. Whether that ranking should be closer to 10 or 20 is up for debate, but the Gophers still beat a quality ranked team on the road and had a decent lead for most of the game. That is great news even if Indiana deserves to be ranked 15 or 20 instead of 8.

Are you familiar with how the RPI works?

It's all a wash. Our future wins over Nebraska will look that much better to the RPI. The Selection Committee is another story and we need the Indiana win to keep its luster.

Virginia Tech is 0-3, soon to be 0-4 after they play NC. Where are our quality wins?

Where are our quality wins?

No question, our (presumably) best nonconference wins are sinking into the abyss. Va Tech (#80 RPI) and Indiana State (#129) have faded big time. Sure would help the Gophers if one or both of 'em decided to start winning a few ballgames.

So now in their place, we have South Dakota State (#70) and Bucknell (#75) as our best NC wins. These developments make me much less confident that a 9-9 B1G mark would make the Gophers a virtual shoo-in for the NCAA tourney. That would be the case if they had a really good NC win (top 50'ish), but that's not going to be the case unless Va Tech gets en fuego.

It now appears the Gophers must do the lion's share of their damage within the conference. Winning at IU is a nice start, but we'll likely need at least 3-4 more from amongst Illinois (H), IU (H), Sparty (A & H), OSU (H) & Bucky (H & A), not to mention not slip up much in the games we probably can't afford to lose (Iowa, Nebraska x 2, Northwestern x 2).

Assuming the Gophers can get themselves into position for a NCAA berth, in the end I think Purdue and Northwestern are likely to be the B1G teams "most like" the Gophers (9-9'ish). We've already lost at home to Purdue in our only meeting. That makes the 2 Northwestern games pretty darn important. And both Purdue (Temple & Iona) and Northwestern (Seton Hall) have nonconference wins far exceeding ours.

That's why we need to just keep winning games lol. Go 11-7 and none of this matters. Or beat MSU on the road (unlikely, they could eat us up inside), revenge Illinois, and beat Bucky. Honestly, I'm putting no game out of reach for this team. They have players who can get these types of wins. They also have youth that'll probably cause them to toss up a couple they should have won. So I'm guessing we're gonna need another few quality wins under our belt to get in.

I do tend to overanalyze, but you hit it right on the head. ... start winning games, and the rest tends to care of itself.

Virginia Tech is 0-3, soon to be 0-4 after they play NC. Where are our quality wins?

I think it's an unwritten college basketball law that VT will right itself just enough to barely miss the tournament. It's right after the law that all Gus Johnson games are nail-biters.

I still think 9-9 us to the promised land, especially if we can get one against MSU or OSU, or take both against NU or Wisconsin. 9-9 Also gets us in position to get a winnable first game and a chance for another quality win in the second round at the B1G tourney. I agree with SS, win and the rest will work out. Huge game on Sunday.

Hoosiers

The bright side of Indiana losing is that it moved them closer to the Gophers in the standings. If they can get to 9-9 or even 8-10, they would at least be still on the bubble and have a puncher's chance with work to do in Indy.

Exactly one week ago how realistic did even being on the bubble seem to be? There's still a ton of work to do on their own, so for now I'll be satisfied with still being in the conversation of an NCAA berth.

Well looking at the remainder of the schedule, getting to 9-9 requires a 7-5 finish. Remainder of schedule: NW, @MSU, ILL, @Iowa, @NU, WIS, OSU, @NW, MSU, IU, @WIS, NU.

Looking at that, five losses could be @MSU, @NU/@Iowa (pick one, both could be tough places to get wins), OSU, MSU, @WIS. If that were to happen, you garner a few decent wins in there with Illinois, Wisconsin, and IU again assuming they don't collapse. It would be good if we can at least split MSU, Illinois, Becky, and IU (or sweep them considering how bad they are on the road), that should garner us enough quality with 9 wins to get in, I think, depending on BTT results.

We get to 9 wins, we're in, no matter how we got there. You can't get to 9 wins in this conference this year without beating at least a few good teams.

minngg said:

Currently up 5 at the half.

Gold Vision said:
Now down 10. That was quick.

Yup lol

Penn state trying to improve their RPI though. Up 9 on #25 on Illinois.

Top Bottom