Glimmer of hope for Mbakwe playing next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

i really hope he does...

the way the young guys are improving now...if Mbakwe and mo return healthy, and Rodney stays..this team has a lot of potential next year

i really hope he does...

the way the young guys are improving now...if Mbakwe and mo return healthy, and Rodney stays..this team has a lot of potential next year

If that happens, someone will have to transfer, because with two players coming in, and only Ralph leaving, there won't be enough scholarships. Maybe we could just pull a page out of the ol' SEC football book and tell whichever is the worse of Ellenson and Buggs that he can't play here anymore unless he wants to walk on.

And no, I wasn't serious about that last statement, but I have been wondering what will happen if it just so happens that both Trevor and Rodney are still here next year (or if neither of them are here for that matter, leaving an open scholarship).

LOL, Cayman, but that would make the Gophers a top 25 team, even the Tubbinots would have to agree.

Could he be back for the national title game this year?

Why is he enrolled then?

It's good to keep enrolled as it gives him options should something crazy happen.

But IMO, the main reason he is enrolled is to continue access to the medical care that he'll need on his knee through rehab, otherwise he'd have to cover this through personal insurance or out of his own pocket. As a D1 athlete still under scholarship and remaining eligible in good faith, he has access to world class medical and rehab care that he may otherwise not have.

Go Gophers!!

You both brought up points that I hadn't fully thought of beforehand, so thanks. But I guess I was just curious as to if lefty was just making an assumption or if the post had more behind it.

Perhaps it's the pursuit of knowledge... perhaps it's the use of first rate rehab....

More like.... one in a million...................................................................... So you're sayin' there's a chance. YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Well Trevor has said as much on Twitter that he's not sure what he will do, so that tells you he at least has it in the back of his mind the idea of returning next year. It's definitely not a foregone conclusion that he bolts to the NBA after the season.

Acknowledging that it means almost nothing, the tone of Trevor's tweets/comments on this leave the impression he will seriously consider it if the NCAA grants the wavier.

Even if he decides to stay and is granted a medical hardship, there's no guarantee that he'll return to his previous form. Hummell is a decent player now for Purdue, but nowhere near the player he was before his injuries. By most accounts it takes 2 or 3 years to fully recover from a ACL injury. If Trevor does come back, where do you play Rodney? Williams has only begun to show his true potential since moving closer the basket and along the baseline. I fear having Mbakwe back would stunt Rodney's development and also take playing time from others.

I hate to sound mean spirited, because I really appreciate all that Mbakwe gave for this program, but I think its best for all parties if he moves on.

Even if he decides to stay and is granted a medical hardship, there's no guarantee that he'll return to his previous form. Hummell is a decent player now for Purdue, but nowhere near the player he was before his injuries. By most accounts it takes 2 or 3 years to fully recover from a ACL injury. If Trevor does come back, where do you play Rodney? Williams has only begun to show his true potential since moving closer the basket and along the baseline. I fear having Mbakwe back would stunt Rodney's development and also take playing time from others.

I hate to sound mean spirited, because I really appreciate all that Mbakwe gave for this program, but I think its best for all parties if he moves on.

I could see a front line of Mbwake, Williams, and Coleman, with Eiliason and Walker rotating in and/or playing against teams that have a dominant center for defensive reasons. That type of a lineup is proving better offensively. I'm still not sure it is in Trevor's best interest to return, but if he doesn't have access to rehabilitation services if he doesn't, then I assume he will be back.

I do think that Andre Ingram could be encouraged to transfer. He has not played at all since the Purdue game where he looked pretty good playing 9 minutes. Prior to that game he seemed out of control and lost. For a JC transfer to not be ready to play his junior year t'aint good. Even when Ralph and Rodney got into trouble in our last game, Andre never saw the floor.

It seems that every year we lose someone that we did not expect to lose. Other than Andre Ingram, I hope that does not happen this year, but history does not support that as a probability. I am actually most worried, for some reason, about Andre Hollins. He is not having a great freshman year, but he is actually someone that I am very excited about for they future. I really believe that he will develop into an very high level point guard that is very capable of putting up big numbers. It just may take him one more year.

I think the possibility of Trevor and Rodney returning pretty much so places Tubby and staff in a position where they can not recruit effectively for 2012. The 2 that they have is all he can go for, because how can he encourage a top tier prospect to wait for us until we see what will happen with Trevor and Rodney. Tubby's recruiting will have to focus on 2013. If one or both of them do not return, then this board will light once again crying about Tubby's inability to recruit, even though his hands will be tied for this year.

On one of the TV broadcasts,

They said he has to stay enrolled in a minimum of classes (6 credits?) to be able to be a part of the team through the end of the year. That way he can attend practive, even if it just as a coach, and also continue to get help with physical therapy on the knee.

I honestly forgot Ingram was even on the team. I doubt both Rodney and Trevor return, but if they do, and Ingram transfers, wow, we would have a great team going into next year. I don't think anyone could argue that.

PG: Welch, Hollins, Mav, Shell
SG: Coleman, Chip, Ellenson
SF: Hollins, Oto, Buggs
PF: Rodney, Mo, Halvorsen
C: Trevor, EE

That is the lineup/rotation I would LOVE to see. Trevor could easily defend any center in the B1G, so it would definitely work for Rodney to stay at the PF, which also allows both Austin and Joe to start with Welch at PG.

If Trevor and Rodney are on the team next year, Trevor's injury may be the best thing that ever happened to this program.

I'd put $ on:

Rodney being here next season.
Trevor not being here next season.
Trevor wanting to come back for another year if he was able to.

Tons and tons of players continue to keep playing in both football and basketball after graduating, so that has nothing to do with anything.

There is of course the small question of whether Trevor actually wants to come back, but the bigger question is whether he will be allowed by the NCAA to play another year.

I'm under the impression that a hardship waiver is a rarity for a player that has already sat out for two years. Anyone have any knowledge of any other players granted one in the past, and why?

I'm not sure Trevor was slated to be a 1st round pick, was he? An injury like might scare the 2nd round away, as well. He might need another year, if granted, to prove he can still bang on a reconstructed knee. But even a half-a-Trevor is an easy want for the team next year.

Or he can go play in Europe immediately. Seems like all options are open and it's pure speculation for months to come.

I'm under the impression that a hardship waiver is a rarity for a player that has already sat out for two years. Anyone have any knowledge of any other players granted one in the past, and why?

I'm not sure Trevor was slated to be a 1st round pick, was he? An injury like might scare the 2nd round away, as well. He might need another year, if granted, to prove he can still bang on a reconstructed knee. But even a half-a-Trevor is an easy want for the team next year.

Or he can go play in Europe immediately. Seems like all options are open and it's pure speculation for months to come.

I wrote this in Orlando, just after the Dayton game when Mbakwe went down. The issue isn't a medical hardship waiver -- hopefully this article helps with your question.

A Five-Year Rule waiver has been granted numerous times when a player is injured for 2 or more seasons.

In a case such as Kim Royston (Gopher football), he received a Five-Year Rule waiver even though his circumstances did not fit in with the waiver requirements. There was however 'extraordinary or extreme hardship' in the committee's view, related to Kim's transfer to Minnesota to be with a sick family member.

Gopher Warrior said:
I wrote this in Orlando, just after the Dayton game when Mbakwe went down. The issue isn't a medical hardship waiver -- hopefully this article helps with your question.

A Five-Year Rule waiver has been granted numerous times when a player is injured for 2 or more seasons.

In a case such as Kim Royston (Gopher football), he received a Five-Year Rule waiver even though his circumstances did not fit in with the waiver requirements. There was however 'extraordinary or extreme hardship' in the committee's view, related to Kim's transfer to Minnesota to be with a sick family member.

I think the question with Trevor is do they view him having to sit a year due to legal difficulties a consequence of his own doing or something he unfairly had to go through.

I agree it's not likely, but you never really know with the NCAA.

I think the question with Trevor is do they view him having to sit a year due to legal difficulties a consequence of his own doing or something he unfairly had to go through.

Absolutely. The problem is the current status of that legal matter and the additional criminal charge and conviction.

Any idea when the NCAA gavel falls?
Or when the deadline is for the player petitioning for the waiver?

"major drama" or "Uh Oh"

I'd put $ on:

Rodney being here next season.
Trevor not being here next season.
Trevor wanting to come back for another year if he was able to.

Maybe BigJayBee still expects "major drama" and "Uh Oh" for Trevor. [/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom