Best of Gus Johnson

Reaction score
Here's some quality calls from Gus Johnson that I found on the BTN website which they archive for each game Gus calls. The last three are from Gopher games against Michigan, Purdue and Indiana... listening him just makes me want to fast-forward to March!

http://btn.com/tag/best-of-gus-johnson/
Rise and Fire!
Go Gophers!

Gus' screaming is getting old. Even the State Farm commercials he finds it necessary to holler. Fake excitement can only go so far. Get excited only when it's really something to get excited about.

SelectionSunday said:
Gus' screaming is getting old. Even the State Farm commercials he finds it necessary to holler. Fake excitement can only go so far. Get excited only when it's really something to get excited about.

Was he on the Northwestern call yesterday? It got extremely old.

Gus is one of the best in the game. Way better than listening to a Jim Nantz who has no expression at all.

So tired of Gus Johnson and his over-the-top gimmick. Dickie V's schtick wore thin, and so has Gus'. Save that stuff for the NCAA tournament when a 13-seed takes down a 4.

I found that listening to Gary Williams on BTN for the Gopher-PSU game yesterday was quite pleasant. He started out a little rough, but midway thru the 1st half he was imparting some great insight.

I now consider him to be the BTN's Anti-Gus, given his calm, cool demeanor, and actually knowing something about the technical aspects of the game.

I thought Gary Williams was fine. He definitely knows his basketball. However, my one negative would be that he clearly didn't prepare a great deal for the game. He was unfamilar with many of the players' names and called PSU coach Patrick Chambers by three different names during the broadcast. Having said that, I must admit I didn't know who Patrick Chambers was until they mentioned he was the coach at PSU.

Gary Williams

I think Gary Williams is best suited for studio analysis, not that high of a bar but I think he's been the best former coach that they have had in that role.

I don't think it's totally fair to compare a play-by-play announcer (Johnson) to a color commentator (Williams). They compliment each other, but play two separate roles in the delivery of the broadcast. That said, one thing I actually like about Gus is that he does kind of cross over and give a bit of analysis on individual players' games and things like that. It's a nice touch if you're not an expert on every player in the B1G. You can tell he does his homework and works hard to prepare for every game.

Gus definitely isn't for everyone. I hated him the first time I heard him (the Davidson/Becky NCAA tournament game a handful of years back), but he has grown on me each time I've listened to him since. I like him doing college basketball, but not so much on, say, Madden 12.

Top Bottom