Before we get too excited...

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
  • We're still 1-4 in the Big Ten
  • We led by 9 points with 1:03 to go
  • Indiana scored 12 points in the last minute
  • Maverick missed the front end of a 1-1 with 53 seconds left
  • Coleman missed the front end of a 1-1 with 50 seconds left (then made the next four)
  • Of the 18 points scored in the final, 8 were free throws. All of the Gopher points were free throws
  • Free throws are overrated

• Coleman missed the front end of a 1-1 with 50 seconds left (then made the next four)
  • Of the 18 points scored in the final, 8 were free throws. All of the Gopher points were free throws

I'll contact the Big Ten and let them know we'd like to forfeit.

ummm, okay. thanks passive-aggressive, depressing, likely scandinavian, minnesota dad. we won't go getting all non-minnesotan on you and actually being excited about some of the good things in life. :rolleyes:

The only negative I can point out is Julian Welch biting hard on that 85 foot 3 and then going on further to miss 2 free throws. Get some ice in those veins. You're a junior. You can't be jumping up and down like a kangaroo on defense and missing free throws to close out games twice now this season.

We're 1-4. We're not 0-5.

Yes, we led by 9 points with 1:03 to go. That's not a negative, that's a positive. It's the sort of thing that lets you stave off the comeback.

Yes, Indiana scored 12 points in the last minute. We still held off their comeback.

Yes, the front end of a 1-1 was missed with 53 seconds left. That happens.

And yes, the front of a a 1-1 was misses with 50 seconds left. That happens.

So what if all the points were free throws? They are still points, and that is typically how you score points when your opponent is fouling.

Free throws are seriously underrated.

• All of the Gopher points were free throws

What do you expect Indiana to do trailing by 9 with a minute left, let the Gophers have a normal 30-second possession without fouling and sending them to the line???

Now I know how Dookie feels. Someone takes one line out of context and rants on it.

I would expect anyone with over 2,000 posts on this board to make the leap between the free-throw bullets above (especially my last bullet about free-throws being meaningless) and recent comments from GW on that exact subject.

Geez, josh...did you *really* think I was criticizing the Gopher for shooting too many free throws in the last minute?? Really?!?!?

Geez, josh...did you *really* think I was criticizing the Gopher for shooting too many free throws in the last minute?? Really?!?!?

Then why include it? I got the "free throws are overrated" sarcasm. Was this sarcasm too?

Now I know how Dookie feels. Someone takes one line out of context and rants on it.

That's called the Conrad Dobler play. If you're not with us, you're against us!

To be fair towards GW, he does not think free throws are overrated; he thinks FT% is overrated. It makes some sense. If you shoot 9/9 on FT's, you shot 100%. If you shoot 15/20 you shot 75%, but you got 6 more points.

To be fair towards GW, he does not think free throws are overrated; he thinks FT% is overrated. It makes some sense. If you shoot 9/9 on FT's, you shot 100%. If you shoot 15/20 you shot 75%, but you got 6 more points.

I'd rather have the 100% free throw shooter on the court when you know the other team is going to foul.

Indiana shot 22/25 for 88% from the line. Murdered the Gophers at the line. Didn't work out for them.. field goal shooting wins again.

Actually, based on last night's game, I'm seeing how it can be strategic to avoid getting fouled in the 2nd half so that when the game comes down to the wire the other team can't easily put you on the line.

All stats are suspect in isolation... Especially, considering the popular neglect of the law of small numbers and misunderstanding of randomess.

Actually, based on last night's game, I'm seeing how it can be strategic to avoid getting fouled in the 2nd half so that when the game comes down to the wire the other team can't easily put you on the line.

On the flip side, once they do get you to the line, it can be scary shooting one and one instead of two if you are struggling to hit the first free throw.

Top Bottom