Lane Kiffin's kiss of death as rumors of him being offered Tenn job

Stan

Reaction score
We all know how it turned out for Kiffin the last time he was "offered" a head college job, and once again Tim Brewster appears to be a dark horse candidate vs. Kiffin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3729285

Patterson is mentioned again as well. All that we're missing is Charlie Strong and we'd have our search all over again. Hopefully for Kiffin's sake the reporting is actually factual this time around.

That is pretty remarkable how similar the candidates and events have unfolded. I'm shocked that Brewster would still be mentioned as a candidate.

Kiffin is ging to be a good coach. He would have been a great coach at the U. In my opinion maybe better than Brew, but I have a gut feeling he would have used the U as a stepping stone. I think Brew is here for the long haul.

We really need a guy who will be loyal to the program and stick around for the long haul. We need a guy like Alvarez who built the Wisconsin program or Ferentz who stuck around at Iowa.

I know Mason stuck around for 10 years, but I always got the feeling he was a phone call away from moving on the next day and I never felt he was loyal to the program just from all the coaching interviews he did. That just kills us for recruiting if the kids think the coach might be leaving soon and you know the opponent coaches are telling them. "He wants out and he will probably leave in the next couple years and then they will be starting over again."

Brewster will probably not receive too many offers right now and I am not worried about him leaving, but eventually if the team continues to improve he will be approached to see if there is any interest in coaching one of the "big boys." Then we will find out if he is an Alvarez/Ferentz or he is another Mason and how loyal he is to the program.

Kiffin is ging to be a good coach. He would have been a great coach at the U. In my opinion maybe better than Brew, but I have a gut feeling he would have used the U as a stepping stone. I think Brew is here for the long haul.

I agree with you that Kiffin would have been a better coach here than Brewster, what I liked is he can recruit like Brewster but actually had coordinator experience instead of being a career position coach as Brewster was before coming here. I do think Kiffin had just as much if not more of a likelihood of being here for the long haul as Brewster. Kiffin was a Bloomington Jefferson grad and stated he wanted to raise his young kids in the Midwest if possible. Brewster on the other hand has no ties to Minnesota and even stated that before getting the job here he hadn't even been in the state besides playing here with Illinois, with the exception of the MSP airport. I think Maturi could have had more of proven commodity than Brewster and our mistake will be Tennessee's gain.

I think Brewster needs to produce a 10 win season and at least one quality Big Ten win before we need to worry about losing him. He is pretty shameless and I could see him bolting for his first vertical offer if he can put together a decent season or two.

How is Brewster shameless? What examples do you have to back this up?

Shameless here's one:
- propping a player not even eligible (Royston) on stage during the week prior to the Wisky game.

Monte Kiffin to join Lane at Tennessee

I see that Monte Kiffin is going to leave the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as one of the most successful and highest paid coordinators in the NFL to join his son's staff at Tennessee. It sure would have been nice if we had hired Lane when he wanted the Gopher job and got his dad and his 40 years of successful coaching experience with him.

There is no shame in cocking off to Bucky

Shameless here's one:
- propping a player not even eligible (Royston) on stage during the week prior to the Wisky game.

I enjoyed that. There is nothing better than stressing that a guy wanted out of Madison so bad that he was willing to pay his own way elsewhere. It also showed how much of an *ss Beilema is so once again, I liked it.

You can never go wrong rubbing Bucky's dirt in the face. Now we just have to do it on the field. I'm really looking forward to three games next year. 1) Stadium opener 2) Cal 3) Only having the axe cross the St. Croix once during the weekend.

Let's not dwell on it

I see that Monte Kiffin is going to leave Tampa Bay as one of the most successful and highest paid coordinators in the NFL to join his son's staff at Tennessee. It sure would have been nice if we had hired Lane when he wanted the Gopher job and got his dad and his 40 years of successful coaching experience with him.

That would have been nice, and it would have been great for recruiting guys on defense. I wanted Kiffin as much as the next guy when I heard he was a finalist, however, we have Brewster so let's get over it.

Brewster has brought in one good recruiting class, is in the process with another, has brought in Roof whom I love, and hopefully Tim Davis is the next masterful move. Naturally you always want things to move faster and be better but overall I'm happy with the way Brewster is building the program so there is no point on dwelling on Maturi's decision two years ago. Brewster has my support until he makes it clear that he can not take us to the next level.

That would have been nice, and it would have been great for recruiting guys on defense. I wanted Kiffin as much as the next guy when I heard he was a finalist, however, we have Brewster so let's get over it.

Brewster has brought in one good recruiting class, is in the process with another, has brought in Roof whom I love, and hopefully Tim Davis is the next masterful move. Naturally you always want things to move faster and be better but overall I'm happy with the way Brewster is building the program so there is no point on dwelling on Maturi's decision two years ago. Brewster has my support until he makes it clear that he can not take us to the next level.

I guess our definition of "building the program" differs greatly. I do agree with you however that Coach Roof is an excellent coach and has done significantly more with our defense this year than Coach Withers did last year. I do hope that we can get some stability in the coaching staff here for the next few years so that the staff can work together to develop a identity for this team. When you look at the top college programs the one thing they have in common is continuity in their coaching staffs.

"Building the Program"

I guess our definition of "building the program" differs greatly. I do agree with you however that Coach Roof is an excellent coach and has done significantly more with our defense this year than Coach Withers did last year. I do hope that we can get some stability in the coaching staff here for the next few years so that the staff can work together to develop a identity for this team. When you look at the top college programs the one thing they have in common is continuity in their coaching staffs.

For Minnesota, my expectation is to have a program that can consistently finish in top half of the Big Ten and can make an occassional run at the Big Ten title. My definition of program building is getting the right coaches on the staff and recruiting the right athletes that can achieve that goal. We aren't there yet but I think we are on the way there and it takes more than a couple years to build a program. Regardless of where you are in a program, you are bound to fail with some of your coaching hires. When you turn over an entire coaching staff you are going to see more mishires than when you hire just one coach per year. The Roof and Cross hires are corrections for previous mistakes and as long as we can keep them we are two steps closer to our goal.

Dunbar still has to prove himself as do most of the position coaches and obviously Cross. We have to see how all of the position coaches can develop players to detemine their full capabilities but we saw a lot of improvements from the WR's throughout the year, the DL improved from last year (and not just VDS coming back healthy), I thought the LB's looked better, and up until the last two games of the year I thought the DB's improved a lot versus where they were against Northern Illinois--although we played a lot of man w/ 8 in the box against Wisconsin & Iowa instead of our usual zone.

As far as recruiting athletes, I was very impressed with the contribution from the 2008 recruiting class. On paper the current verbal commitments from the 2009 recruiting class looks like another strong class.

Huh?

I agree with you that Kiffin would have been a better coach here than Brewster, what I liked is he can recruit like Brewster but actually had coordinator experience instead of being a career position coach as Brewster was before coming here. I do think Kiffin had just as much if not more of a likelihood of being here for the long haul as Brewster. Kiffin was a Bloomington Jefferson grad and stated he wanted to raise his young kids in the Midwest if possible. Brewster on the other hand has no ties to Minnesota and even stated that before getting the job here he hadn't even been in the state besides playing here with Illinois, with the exception of the MSP airport. I think Maturi could have had more of proven commodity than Brewster and our mistake will be Tennessee's gain.

What evidence ANYWHERE do you have that "he (Kiffin) can recruit like Brewster"????? Based on what? As for his "coordinator" experience, I remember a lot of you people ripping his experience at USC and saying he wasn't the coordinator, but merely QB coach, etc.....Jeez, can't we just support Brew and the squad without whining like a bunch of beeootttches?

What evidence ANYWHERE do you have that "he (Kiffin) can recruit like Brewster"????? Based on what? As for his "coordinator" experience, I remember a lot of you people ripping his experience at USC and saying he wasn't the coordinator, but merely QB coach, etc.....Jeez, can't we just support Brew and the squad without whining like a bunch of beeootttches?

The evidence that you ask for on his recruiting ability is the fact that he was the recruiting coordinator at USC and last time I checked they haven't had a recruiting class ranked outside the top 5 for quite some time. I support the gophers and want us to be great. As a result, I want us to have the best coaches available that represent the university well, both on and off the field.

Top Bottom