Marcus Fuller blog: Tubby Smith should not be on the “hot seat” just yet

I'm a big fan of Tubby as a person and have utmost respect for his accomplishments, but that's no reason to keep him off of a hot seat (or whatever you want to call it). I've only been an avid follower of Gopher sports since I transferred to the school a year and a half ago, so I can't really speak to the historical struggles of the program with the same passion of a lot of the posters here.

With that being said, and with roster attrition taken into account, I've seen so many head-scratching decisions in the past 3 years of watching Gopher basketball. They have been discussed here ad naseum, so I won't go too in-depth, but the lack of adjustments made during "coaching opportunities" (timeouts, halftime, practices between games, the offseason, etc.) really sticks out to me. How much is coaching vs. execution? I'm not sure. But after awhile, the coach is going to find himself on the hot seat if there is no improvement....regardless of his accomplishments at a different school 5+ years ago.

Whose fault is it for the roster attrition?

I don't agree with Paul Allen on a lot of things, but I do agree with the statement (heard on his promo) that it is unacceptable for the team to have a large dropoff after losing Trevor.

Whose fault is it for the roster attrition?

I don't agree with Paul Allen on a lot of things, but I do agree with the statement (heard on his promo) that it is unacceptable for the team to have a large dropoff after losing Trevor.

Honestly, I don't think they have. But when you consider the first three losses by just a few points, adding a Trevor Mbakwe MAY have been the difference between 0-3 and 3-0, or at least 2-1. There's obviously no way to prove that, as I think his injury also forced certain guys to step up (lookin at Rodney), but if you're operating under the assumption that this team is not as good without him, you would think he would add the points necessary to turn a couple of these losses into wins possibly.

Top Bottom