The season can turn around tonight

gopher000

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I'm not calling a gopher win tonight or even expecting them to win. But if they can find a way to upset Indiana tonight it brings the season back to life and gives the players some much needed confidence to win @ Penn St. and beyond.

So here's to hoping for a big upset tonight and getting the season back on track

Let me start by saying I'm not calling a gopher win tonight or even expecting them to win. But if they can find a way to upset Indiana tonight it brings the season back to life and gives the players some much needed confidence to win @ Penn St. and beyond.

So here's to hoping for a big upset tonight and getting the season back on track

+1 !!

It can be done, but we need some help from Indiana. Perhaps they'll fall asleep at the wheel like Louisville did the other night at Providence? Head-scratching results like that happen across the nation every season. Why not tonight?

A Gopher win wouldn't surprise me tonight.

All the best scientists are great theorists. You, sir, are a great scientist.

In all seriousness, go Gophers! It can be done.

Kelly: Well Oddball, what do you think?
Oddball: It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Hoosiers.
Big Joe: Hey look, you just keep them Hoosiers busy and we'll take care of the rest.
Oddball: The only way I got to keep them Hoosiers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!
Crapgame: Hey, Oddball, this is your hour of glory. And you're chickening out!
Oddball: To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on five Hoosiers.
Kelly: Nobody's asking you to be a hero.
Oddball: No? Then YOU sit up in that turret baby.
Kelly: No, because you're gonna be up there, baby, and I'll be right outside showing you which way to go.
Oddball: Yeah?
Kelly: Yeah.
Oddball: Crazy... I mean like, so many positive waves... maybe we can't lose, you're on!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't surprise you?

Yes, Tubby has had some success beating top 10 teams in his tenure here and there is some talent on this team to get it done. However, I would be EXTREMELY surprised at a win tonight.

Indiana is rolling. They always play with intensity at home, and they beat the Gophers there when they were playing poorly (each visit last 2 years).

Also, Indiana loves the 3 ball, and are good at it, while MN is in the middle of one of its worst 3 point defense in any year. It's almost inexplicable how teams shoot the 3 so well against the Tubby ball-line D.

So, while I am generally a very positive person, I cannot see a scenario where the visitors win this game and would be shocked with a win (but I'll still be cheering like crazy for these crazy rodents!).

Go Gophers

I don't think, or hope at least, anyone will turn on the tv expecting the boys to lose with anticipation of participating the post game Gopherhole meltdown.

Anything can happen and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Gophers come away with a victory tonight.

It all hinges on Sampson

I will admit, I am an adamant Ralph Sampson hater and seeing him get benched for his pitiful play against Purdue was the only bright spot in an otherwise awful looking Purdue beating. I do no think it was a coincidence that the team played with more energy and athleticism with Sampson off the floor, and that in 4 Sampson-less games earlier in the season, the offense AND defense looked much more competent, unlike the stagnant garbage we have put up with in these 4 horrible losses. Here's to hoping that Tubby keeps Sampson's playing time down this game so 1) we can see if the Gophers truly do play better with out him, and 2) we can get a glimpse of next year's squad to see if there is even any hope on the horizon. This team does have talent, they need a jolt of confidence, and a win at Indiana could surely turn a rough season start around a la Michigan last year.

Never say never. The Gopher's have yet to have a lightsout shooting night. This, and Indiana not hitting the 3's tonight could dictate an upset.

Kelly: Well Oddball, what do you think?
Oddball: It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Hoosiers.
Big Joe: Hey look, you just keep them Hoosiers busy and we'll take care of the rest.
Oddball: The only way I got to keep them Hoosiers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!
Crapgame: Hey, Oddball, this is your hour of glory. And you're chickening out!
Oddball: To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on five Hoosiers.
Kelly: Nobody's asking you to be a hero.
Oddball: No? Then YOU sit up in that turret baby.
Kelly: No, because you're gonna be up there, baby, and I'll be right outside showing you which way to go.
Oddball: Yeah?
Kelly: Yeah.
Oddball: Crazy... I mean like, so many positive waves... maybe we can't lose, you're on!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1

Can't say I won't be upset if we don't get an upset.

They can beat Indiana, they are going to have to play face up perimeter defense though from the start. They can't be leaping toward the Indiana shooter with a hand up and expect to stop the Hoosiers outside shooting like they usually do.

Don't let Hulls or Watford get comfortable on the perimeter and they can win.

Yes, based on our play this year, there is little shot to make the tournament. However, considering the fact that we have lost 3 of 4 of our big ten games by a slim margin, I think there is still hope. If one of our young guards can figure it out soon and Sampson can somehow muster up some aggression, I could see us turning it around.

As for the badgers.....there has been no evidence for why they would be considered a better team at this point. They have been beaten by teams we have played close to. I do believe they are the better team, but we could all point to evidence on the contrary. Don't let pre-season hype cloud the facts.

If EVERYONE on this team plays with some desperation as though they are pissed as hell that no one is giving them a chance, I think we can give the Hoosiers a run for their money. One lazy effort and we are toast.

Indiana is ripe for a loss. They're good, but they're not top 10. Someone needs to take them down a notch. Why not us? Tubby can do what Kentucky failed to do!

Yes, we all know, Gopher D bad against dribble penetration and contesting the 3.

How about a little 5 for 27 from three for IU and an off night for an opponent for a change? Trying to find hope where I can fellas!

Key Match ups.. Rodney vs Watford.. Ralph vs. Cody.. Hopefully Sheehey isn't there tonight for the hoosiers as a 10 point average in 20 mins off the bench will be missed. You're going to have to throw a lot of different defenses at these guys.

CONFIDENCE

The Gophers gained a great amount of confidence in themselves when they won their first game without Trevor.
Everyone thought they were done. Once they saw they could win without him they believed in themselves
and went on a winning streak.

A game like tonight can turn a season around.

A win against Indiana would restore confidence and show the Gophers they CAN win. That would be the biggest benefit of beating Indiana.
All teams, even the great ones have bad nights. Indiana is no exception.
Should the Gophers catch Indiana on a bad night and could pull a stunning upset is could set the season on a new path where at least
they could start digging out of the hole they created.

All it takes is one game and as they say: " That is why they play the game "

i am not calling it to happen but if the gophs somehow manage to win the rest of their games they could turn their season around and be national champs. All they have to do hit their shots, block out and dominate the boards, play tough hard nosed defense, and playing mistake free basketball it could happen.... GO GOPHERS!!!! Indy is only a 5/1 fave to win tonight! THE SCOUT

The Gophers are in Jerry Palm's new bracket today, there still is time to turn the season around and make the tournament

Are the Gophers really on a 43 game losing streak against ranked opponents on the road? Wasn't Wisconsin ranked when we won there a couple of seasons ago? If that's the case, that's one long streak. I understand winning on the road is tough in the BT, and winning on the road against good teams is even tougher but 43 games? Did I hear that stat correctly?

i am not calling it to happen but if the gophs somehow manage to win the rest of their games they could turn their season around and be national champs. All they have to do hit their shots, block out and dominate the boards, play tough hard nosed defense, and playing mistake free basketball it could happen.... GO GOPHERS!!!! Indy is only a 5/1 fave to win tonight! THE SCOUT

I'm with you Scout but I just can't see us getting past Butler in the championship game.

All the trends, evidence, etc. point to Indiana. I'll take the Gophers by 3. We're 1-0 against the Zellers, right?

Thought I'd bump this thread in hopes of the gophers pulling their 2nd big upset of the year tonight.

Thought I'd bump this thread in hopes of the gophers pulling their 2nd big upset of the year tonight.

Considering how enormous the Indiana upset was ON THE ROAD, I think we should be able to pull this game off AT HOME as well.

Good bump for a thread! :cool02::cool02::cool02:

Considering how enormous the Indiana upset was ON THE ROAD, I think we should be able to pull this game off AT HOME as well.

Good bump for a thread! :cool02::cool02::cool02:

The juxtaposition is poor. Gophs DID pull the IU upset, but the season went south
nonetheless.

Top Bottom