Doogie tweet: Tubby thinks a contract extension will get done

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"@DarrenWolfson: Just asked Tubby if he thinks a contract extension will get done. Without hesitation, he said, "Yeah." #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

I'm not going to show any support for a Tubby extension other than to say that I don't think, given the lack of an AD and no practice facility, that we could get a better coach than Tubby right now...and not doing an extension will hurt recruiting.

We need a new AD, a practice facility and a Tubby replacement...in that order.

Follow up tweets from Doogie:

"Tubby on why extension talks are on now the back burner: "W/ a new administration coming in, that's all a part of it. That's basically it."

"(con.) Tubby: "It's not like I have two more years... We love it here. We got a good nucleus." #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

If replacing all the assistant coaches is a condition to extension, give it a go.

I'm not going to show any support for a Tubby extension other than to say that I don't think, given the lack of an AD and no practice facility, that we could get a better coach than Tubby right now...and not doing an extension will hurt recruiting.

We need a new AD, a practice facility and a Tubby replacement...in that order.

I agree. In addition I wonder if it will be more of a Brewster/Lucia extension in regards to buyout. I further wonder if Tubby feels like he could get a better job than UMN the way things are going now. Maybe that feeling helps fuel the extension process.

All the more reason not to extend season tickets

Regardless of how we feel now, this would/should have been done a year-and-a-half ago if we had a real AD, so there's no sense getting all upset about it. It is needed for recruiting. As for the buyout, we might have gone too far down the road to get out of it anyway and it can always be negotiated.

You can't beat the U's terrific sense of timing. Get it announced right as the season is opening to add some excitement? Nah. Let's wait until we're about 0-6 in the B1G and everyone is calling for his head, then suddenly get it done.

Regardless of how we feel now, this would/should have been done a year-and-a-half ago if we had a real AD, so there's no sense getting all upset about it. It is needed for recruiting. As for the buyout, we might have gone too far down the road to get out of it anyway and it can always be negotiated.

Tubby hasn't had a buyout since last year.

mattw1067 said:
Tubby hasn't had a buyout since last year.

Not according to Doogie ...

“@DarrenWolfson: I have Tubby's contract. For those wondering, if the "U" wanted to make a move before April 30, they'd have to pay him $2M. Not happening.”

“@DarrenWolfson: If you're in the camp that wants to see change, & I've gotten a few tweets, you better hope Tubby retires. It's a great contract. #Gophers”

“@DarrenWolfson: 4/30/12-5/1/13 = $1.5M buyout. After that, he would get his base salary +. RT @timdski: @DarrenWolfson What happens to buyout after 4/30/12?”

You can't beat the U's terrific sense of timing. Get it announced right as the season is opening to add some excitement? Nah. Let's wait until we're about 0-6 in the B1G and everyone is calling for his head, then suddenly get it done.

Yup.

It reeks of "Minnesota Nice" ... Afraid to do the right thing at the right time, and now just slip it under the rug, at the wrong time.
Good post howeda7..

It reeks of "Minnesota Nice" ... Afraid to do the right thing at the right time, and now just slip it under the rug, at the wrong time.
Good post howeda7..

It aint MN Nice...it is Maturi ineptitude that has us in this position.

If Tubby signs an extension and the team continues to lose this year, it could get real ugly at the Barn.

Good for about 8th in the Big Ten. I guess that is where we are in pleasing Gopher fans now.
Lol seriously, are you that pessimistic you don't expect a 4-star, 3 high 3-star, and 1 3-star recruit to develop into solid players? You're almost as bad as BarnBurner.

Lol seriously, are you that pessimistic you don't expect a 4-star, 3 high 3-star, and 1 3-star recruit to develop into solid players? You're almost as bad as BarnBurner.

I don't care if they have 10 stars. Hollins Hollins and Ellison? Walker hasn't played in conference. Coleman has potential but few players have developed under Tubby. Anyone not getting significant minutes on this lousy team can't be that good.

I don't care if they have 10 stars. Hollins Hollins and Ellison? Walker hasn't played in conference. Coleman has potential but few players have developed under Tubby. Anyone not getting significant minutes on this lousy team can't be that good.

People just like to spout off the "no one develops under Tubby" stuff and not even really look at the whole picture. I say there isn't enough evidence to know whether he develops players well with all the attrition and issues around the program. Guys like Blake, VIP Johnson, and Westbrook got better under Tubby, but no one gives him credit since he didn't recruit them. Okay, but if you just look at the guys he recruited, it's hard to tell cause only two right now have been with the program long enough to even "develop" in the first place.

Point is, Tubby hasn't had a plethora of guys stick around long enough to fully develop into their full skills to know really whether he's a good player development guy or not. History says he's had plenty of guys improve their games a lot during his career, so why would that stop now? He just needs a core that will actually stick around, without creating excess drama off the court, and just work on their games and get better. For the first time, he might have that, but now the team is losing, so you have that hanging over.

If this team were upperclassmen laden and losing all these close games, I'd be VERY worried. But with all these freshmen, sophs, and 1st year JUCOs running around, it's not entirely surprising to see them falling short in the clutch.

All that said, I'm not happy with where the program is at right now, and being the head coach, it falls on his shoulders. It's hard to grant an extension to him at this point, there's some blind faith going into that one, that's for sure, cause it's hard to see right now.

People just like to spout off the "no one develops under Tubby" stuff and not even really look at the whole picture. I say there isn't enough evidence to know whether he develops players well with all the attrition and issues around the program. Guys like Blake, VIP Johnson, and Westbrook got better under Tubby, but no one gives him credit since he didn't recruit them. Okay, but if you just look at the guys he recruited, it's hard to tell cause only two right now have been with the program long enough to even "develop" in the first place.

Point is, Tubby hasn't had a plethora of guys stick around long enough to fully develop into their full skills to know really whether he's a good player development guy or not. History says he's had plenty of guys improve their games a lot during his career, so why would that stop now? He just needs a core that will actually stick around, without creating excess drama off the court, and just work on their games and get better. For the first time, he might have that, but now the team is losing, so you have that hanging over.

If this team were upperclassmen laden and losing all these close games, I'd be VERY worried. But with all these freshmen, sophs, and 1st year JUCOs running around, it's not entirely surprising to see them falling short in the clutch.

All that said, I'm not happy with where the program is at right now, and being the head coach, it falls on his shoulders. It's hard to grant an extension to him at this point, there's some blind faith going into that one, that's for sure, cause it's hard to see right now.

Seems as though Tubbys is the one bringing it up at this point, not the U.

Hard to justify an extension at this point, especially with no clarification as to whom the AD is after June.

Seems as though Tubbys is the one bringing it up at this point, not the U.

Hard to justify an extension at this point, especially with no clarification as to whom the AD is after June.

Tubby was asked the question, he didn't just "bring it up".

From Maturi:
“We’re going ahead with the policy we put together,” he said. “It’s the right thing for the long term health of Gopher basketball and Gopher athletics. And that program has been four years in the making. We already delayed it one year. We’ll go forward with it.”

Top Bottom