Are we the cupcakes of the BIG?

RunGopherRun

Reaction score
Are we the cupcakes of the B1G?

In years past we look at the schedule and point out potential if not probable wins. It has recently been Iowa, Indiana, Penn St. and now Nebraska. While that list has changed of late with the emergence of Indiana and the obvious improvement of Iowa, we could still see potential wins at least at the Barn. When other teams look at their schedule, do they see "Minnesota" and think automatic "W"?

These last 1.5 seasons the Gophers have have become the perfect opponent for B1G teams trying to make the NCAA Tournament. We're good enough that we count as a decent win (in top 100 of RPI), but we're not so bad that losing to us (especially at Williams) is considered a bad loss.

The B1G's potential bubble teams this year (I'm thinking primarily Northwestern and, dare I say, the Badgers) stand to benefit the most by beating us a couple times. Certainly the Wildcats must consider the Gopher games as "must wins" if they want to reach the NCAA tourney. They need all the top-100 type wins they can muster to go along with their nice neutral-site win over Seton Hall.

Like I said before, we play just good enough to mess up games in the end. The other teams know they gotta show up to play us, cause we'll compete, but they also have full confidence in knowing that when it gets down to it, we're likely to do one or two things to botch up the game and give them a W.

Until we learn how to close games out, this will continue to be the case. We have enough talent to be at least a .500 B1G team, but the constant shooting in the foot will continue to lead to close loss after close loss. I hate to finger point, but it's on the guards honestly. It was the case before the season, and now with Trevor out, it's even more important. Our guards HAVE to produce, especially late in games. With the youth back there, though, I just don't know how quick they will mature so we can start winning some games again.

SelectionSunday said:
These last 1.5 seasons the Gophers have have become the perfect opponent for B1G teams trying to make the NCAA Tournament. We're good enough that we count as a decent win (in top 100 of RPI), but we're not so bad that losing to us (especially at Williams) is considered a bad loss.

The B1G's potential bubble teams this year (I'm thinking primarily Northwestern and, dare I say, the Badgers) stand to benefit the most by beating us a couple times. Certainly the Wildcats must consider the Gopher games as "must wins" if they want to reach the NCAA tourney. They need all the top-100 type wins they can muster to go along with their nice neutral-site win over Seton Hall.

How come the badgers at 1-3 are considered a bubble team, but the gophers at 0-4 are not?

Legitimately curious, what about their season causes that 1 big 10 win (over 0-4 Nebraska) to be so good for them? Minnesota has played their games closer and have had an equally difficult schedule. I am sure their pre season ranking helps them, but as of right now, they are not very different from MN.

You've made it pretty clear multiple times on this site you don't like the Big Ten's new logo (B1G). You think it's goofy, as do many others. We understand, and that's OK. It's not for everyone.

Others, like myself, are not offended or put off by it. How many months has it been since the Big Ten (your preference) changed its logo?

You do realize he's referencing that when people write BIG that is wrong, right? He never says anything when people say B1G, like it is meant to be written.

SelectionSunday said:
You've made it pretty clear multiple times on this site you don't like the Big Ten's new logo (B1G). You think it's goofy. We understand, and that's OK. It's not for everyone.

Others, like myself, are not offended or put off by it. How many months has it been since the Big Ten (your preference) changed its logo?

DP's point, I'm guessing, is that in the thread title it is called the BIG, not the B1G. BIG doesn't exist, the B1G does.

I missed that. My fault. That's quite an editorial eye.

The sentiment still applies.

You do realize he's referencing that when people write BIG that is wrong, right? He never says anything when people say B1G, like it is meant to be written.

If that is the case, my apologies to dpodoll68. I've been under the impression he didn't like the new logo. I need to pay more attention to my B1G's or BIG's. Please allow me to insert foot in mouth.

If that is the case, my apologies to dpodoll68. I've been under the impression he didn't like the new logo. I need to pay more attention to my B1G's or BIG's. Please allow me to insert foot in mouth.

I do hate the new logo, and the accompanying shorthand. I think it's ugly, does not convey what they thought it would, and commits the worst sin in branding by being far, far worse than its predecessor.

Aside from that - I respect people's right to use it (terrible and awful as it is), but if they're going to insist on using it, at least use it properly.

P.S. No apologies necessary.

I use B1G cause it's shorter than Big Ten. I think it's dumb, but now I'm used to typing it lol

SelectionSunday said:
Because I'm referencing Gopher opponents that potentially could end up on the bubble.

So basically, even with all the turmoil apparently in the program, the gophers could also end up a bubble team?

All I'm trying to get at, with all the fire tubby talk going on, MN is pretty equal to WI right now and hopefully MN comes out of it and WI doesn't. Next couple games will be interesting.

Sadly, Becky has a far better team than Minnesota does.

PS- I prefer Big 1?

Sadly, Becky has a far better team than Minnesota does.

PS- I prefer Big 1?

As much of a downer as I have been on the Goph's performance thus far, I don't know if the evidence bears that statement out. Wisco has had 4 opportunities to play teams ranked at the time of their game and lost them all, so they lack any defining win to claim to be far better then us. They have one more win in conference than we do, against the worst team in the conference who we have yet to play. Both played and lost at Michigan and at home against Iowa, and we lost by a closer margin in both games. At this point I don't think Wisconsin's performance warrants calling them a "far better team" than Minnesota based on anything other than preconceived notions from the beginning of the season.

So basically, even with all the turmoil apparently in the program, the gophers could also end up a bubble team? All I'm trying to get at, with all the fire tubby talk going on, MN is pretty equal to WI right now and hopefully MN comes out of it and WI doesn't. Next couple games will be interesting.

Remember, it would take a major miracle at this point....

So basically, even with all the turmoil apparently in the program, the gophers could also end up a bubble team?

All I'm trying to get at, with all the fire tubby talk going on, MN is pretty equal to WI right now and hopefully MN comes out of it and WI doesn't. Next couple games will be interesting.

Sure MN could be a bubble team. I think anyone still could at this point.

If they run off a 4-1 or 6-2 stretch they are righ back in the thick of it.

BIG, B1G, Big Ten, BFD. I shall still use Big Ten, that way I only catch hell for failing to adjust to today.

How come the badgers at 1-3 are considered a bubble team, but the gophers at 0-4 are not?

Legitimately curious, what about their season causes that 1 big 10 win (over 0-4 Nebraska) to be so good for them? Minnesota has played their games closer and have had an equally difficult schedule. I am sure their pre season ranking helps them, but as of right now, they are not very different from MN.

If Wisconsin takes a beat down from Purdue tommorow that perception will start to change. If they win that one then they are legitimately a bubble team. I doubt they can play with Purdue away though.

As much of a downer as I have been on the Goph's performance thus far, I don't know if the evidence bears that statement out. At this point I don't think Wisconsin's performance warrants calling them a "far better team" than Minnesota based on anything other than preconceived notions from the beginning of the season.

We just look at different things. For me, the evidence (i.e., actual performance on the court this season) is there and it's not close. I don't like the fact that Becky is better than the Gophers, but they are.

We just look at different things. For me, the evidence (i.e., actual performance on the court this season) is there and it's not close. I don't like the fact that Becky is better than the Gophers, but they are.
If you're going to say there is evidence, and not say what it is, you may as well not say anything at all.

zambam said:
If you're going to say there is evidence, and not say what it is, you may as well not say anything at all.
Geeze - He can say whatever he wants!

Jerry Palm still has faith in the gophers at least, even if the fans don't.

“@GopherHole: RT @HorowitzJason: #Gophers still in @jppalm field of 68 at this point. big game tonight @IU_Basketball. http://t.co/wkhcjiBQ”

Jerry Palm still has faith in the gophers at least, even if the fans don't.

“@GopherHole: RT @HorowitzJason: #Gophers still in @jppalm field of 68 at this point. big game tonight @IU_Basketball. http://t.co/wkhcjiBQ”

What he puts out is not a projection. Ask Palm if he thinks the Gophers have a chance to make the tourney and you'll get a far, far different answer than, 'yes, look at the bracket I just published'.

Gopher Warrior said:
What he puts out is not a projection. Ask Palm if he thinks the Gophers have a chance to make the tourney and you'll get a far, far different answer than, 'yes, look at the bracket I just published'.

Does he do it as if the selection were done today then? Rather than what he thinks will happen come selection Sunday?

Does he do it as if the selection were done today then? Rather than what he thinks will happen come selection Sunday?

Yes... his disclaimer is cut and pasted below. Minnesota's RPI is still not horrible.

Jerry Palm said:
Bracket note: Bracket projections are always based on "as if the tournament started today." I am not predicting how teams will finish the season.

I just read the accompanying blog of his as well... he specifically calls out Minnesota when saying that nine Big Ten teams won't really make the tournament even though that's how many he's got in the bracket now:

Jerry Palm said:
That said, nine teams would be ridiculous come March. Minnesota in particular is in trouble.

I'm sure you can find someone out there who still has hope, but Jerry Palm isn't your guy.

Top Bottom