Gopher VB - new transfers

nooram

Leave my member out of it!
Reaction score
GopherSports VB Transfers

Seniors Taylor Carico and Megan Wilson will both transfer to the University of Minnesota to play for the Golden Gopher volleyball program according to an announcement by Minnesota Head Coach Mike Hebert on Monday, Mar. 2.

Carico is a 5-11 senior setter from Manhattan Beach, Calif. who is transferring to Minnesota from USC. She was a Second-Team AVCA All-American and Pac-10 All-Conference honoree in 2007. That season she broke the Women of Troy single season record for assists in a season, and helped lead USC to the National Semifinals. Last year, Carico averaged 10.09 aps, had 1.91 dps, 0.56 blps and was named Honorable-Mention All-Pac 10. She was also named Second-Team All-Academic team in the Pac-10 last year.

As a freshman, Carico was named the Pac-10 and Pacific region freshman of the year. She moved to second place on the USC all-time assists list last year, and has tallied 4,101 career assists for an average of 11.89 aps for her career. Carico will enroll in summer school in June at Minnesota, is majoring in Political Science and plans to graduate from the University of Minnesota in 2010.

“Taylor will bring to the table a history of setting in big-time matches,” said Hebert. “Along with the experience gained while competing for three seasons in the Pac-10 Conference, she also set for the Trojans in the National Semifinals in 2007.”

Wilson is a 6-1 right-side hitter from Lincoln, Neb., who is transferring to Minnesota from Missouri. Last year, she was third on the team with 2.13 kps, and averaged 1.00 dps and 0.46 blps from the right side. As a sophomore in 2007, Wilson played in all 30 contests for the Tigers and was third on the team in kills at 2.66 kps. She also led the team with 31 solo blocks that year, which put her in the school’s top ten single-season list in that category.

Wilson will graduate from Missouri in May of this year, and will enroll in summer school at the University of Minnesota in June. She will begin a graduate program that will allow her to complete her Master of Education degree in Applied Kinesiology in May of 2010.

“We are lucky to get Megan (Wilson),” said Hebert. “She can play any front row position, plus she is an above average backrow player. Her versatility will be important in building lineup variations heading into the 2009 season.”

Carico and Wilson will join Minnesota’s talented freshmen class of Katherine Harms, Brianna Haugen, Tabitha Love and Mia Tabberson to compete in the 2009 season for the program. Those six newcomers will join senior Christine Tan, juniors Hailey Cowles, Brook Dieter and Lauren Gibbemeyer, and sophomores Jessica Granquist and Ariana Filho on next year’s roster.

“We are excited to welcome both of these accomplished athletes to our program,” said Hebert. “Both players should fit in well with the experienced group we have coming back, and the talented freshmen we are bringing into the program.”

I must say, coach Hebert does an awesome job of stocking up talent!!!!:D:D

Looks like both of these ladies will help the team quite a bit for next year. Meanwhile, we'll be breaking in another top recruiting class in fall '09 and then getting two the nation's best freshmen again in Wittman and Dixon in 2010!!!!

Taking all this into account, it would be fair to assume the volleyball program is in great shape!!!:D:D

Sounds like Blatt and Luiz are transferring and Suapaia is not going to play any longer.

Of local interest, Kelsey Brandl (6'4" MB, Lakeville) is transferring from Cincy to St. Thomas (D3) after one season

Will they have to sit out a year, or are the transfer rules different for Volleyball? Either way, I really like the talent Hebert keeps bringing in! I think we will challenge Penn State for a conference title in the coming years.

you do not have to sit out a year in volleyball

Well then I look forward to seeing both of them in Maroon and Gold next year! Especially Carico. USC is a strong program, and she sounds like a good addition.

Don't be so sure on challenging Penn State. I've heard that they 5th hitter who saw some action this year isn't going to see the court this year because the recuits they have coming in are that good. And remember they graduated there 2 top hitters. The way that program runs and continues to reload is crazy.

Top Bottom