guarding Jackson

march madness

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with Maverick guarding the quickest player on the opposing roster? The only other player than Hummel who actually takes it to the rim. With the players we started the game I would have chosen Welch just because he is just as slow/quick as Mav but alot bigger. But I would really have rather seen one of our quicker players on him like Chip, or either Hollins once they entered the game.

I also wandered what Eliason did wrong to not get more than 8 minutes. I know they went small ball and the pressing worked but I figured you could have used a few more minutes of him.

I applaud Tubby for sitting Ralph yesterday. Horrible game.

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with Maverick guarding the quickest player on the opposing roster? The only other player than Hummel who actually takes it to the rim. With the players we started the game I would have chosen Welch just because he is just as slow/quick as Mav but alot bigger. But I would really have rather seen one of our quicker players on him like Chip, or either Hollins once they entered the game.

I also wandered what Eliason did wrong to not get more than 8 minutes. I know they went small ball and the pressing worked but I figured you could have used a few more minutes of him.

They needed to have either Andre Hollins or Armelin on the court to guard Jackson. Those are the only two that really stood a chance. The same situation is going to exist against Michigan State and Penn State. They both have a very fast PG.

I think it has less to do with who was guarding Jackson, and more on how we did it. I understand that we're trying to increase pressure defensively by being tight on the ball, but why not back off of him and let him make a jump shot before we start getting in his face? He has been an average shooter, at best, during his career at Purdue. There's no reason, in my opinion, to be guarding him that far out. Let him take his chance at a jump shot instead of having him blow by us every possession.

Mav should be on the bench and playing less than 10 minutes a game. He can't finish when he gets to the basket. His outside shot is average at best and he can't defend a quick guard. Most of all I hate his haircut!

Mav should be on the bench and playing less than 10 minutes a game. He can't finish when he gets to the basket. His outside shot is average at best and he can't defend a quick guard. Most of all I hate his haircut!
I love his haircut.

Fool me once...

Shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me. Fool me 3,4,5, times? Shame on Tubby. How many times does one player have to be blown away by the offensive player's strong hand? My 12 yo son (who regrettably is a Purdue fan) was laughing his butt off. Wan't it three trips down the floor in a row. Mav was not even in the same zipcode! NEWS FLASH: Jackson is right-handed.

NEWS FLASH: Jackson is right-handed.

I haven't posted about this, but I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who noticed. Repeatedly blew by his guy to his right. Thank you.

Thank you. Sometimes I really wonder what goes on in Tubby's head while he watches the game. It was obvious right away that Mav had no chance of guarding Jackson. I can't tell you how many times I literally called out, "here comes the cross-over to the right and a layup" and then it happened. Mav should be playing extremely limited minutes regardless, but when he continually gets beat like that, I honestly have no clue what Tubby is thinking when he leaves the kid in there. God forbid he ever adapt to a game. For some reason he's fallen in love with Mav and will rarely play Julian at pg.

Everyone on here knew a while ago that Coleman should've been starting, but Tubby waits til now? And then he takes one of his top few players out who can actually guard someone and leaves Mav in the lineup? Like you said, the one thing I was happy about was that he benched Ralph. I would send a 2nd defender to strip the ball every time Ralph catches it.

This whole thread is ridiculous. I was at the game, even stayed until the very end. No one was guarding Jackson.

totally agree

I think it has less to do with who was guarding Jackson, and more on how we did it. I understand that we're trying to increase pressure defensively by being tight on the ball, but why not back off of him and let him make a jump shot before we start getting in his face? He has been an average shooter, at best, during his career at Purdue. There's no reason, in my opinion, to be guarding him that far out. Let him take his chance at a jump shot instead of having him blow by us every possession.

This again is where adjustments need to be made. Jackson is shooting 23% on three's this year about his career average. Pressuring a point guard can lead to many positive things, but when its leading to layup after layup, maybe a coach could say give him 3 feet of room.. duh! He averages 10pts a game he is not an allconference type player but we made him into one.

I haven't posted about this, but I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who noticed. Repeatedly blew by his guy to his right. Thank you.

It wasn't just getting blown by going right, it was usually the same exact move. Looking off to the left where a stagger was set up and simply crossing and going right. The one time he went left he didn't finish. To be fair to Mav, this happened to the others as well. Sag and force left should have been a pretty simple adjustment to come from the bench, right?

guarding Jackson

I loved my son's thoughts:

Someone should clothesline that little sh-t!

Have to agree somewhat. Jackson's been giving us problems for like 10 years now. God, I hope he finally graduates.

march madness said:
This again is where adjustments need to be made. Jackson is shooting 23% on three's this year about his career average. Pressuring a point guard can lead to many positive things, but when its leading to layup after layup, maybe a coach could say give him 3 feet of room.. duh! He averages 10pts a game he is not an allconference type player but we made him into one.

Maybe Tubby doesn't watch his former players all that often? (Rondo)

Top Bottom